Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
11-15-2018, 04:03 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gerax Quote
I understand, still the Japanese night clips are shot at night...that's what I'm wondering. I'd really like to know how the camera was set on that occasion.
Well, like that Japanese videographer, you'll get better the second time you shoot, Gerax the third, the fourth, and so on. It'd be odd if you didn't.

11-16-2018, 07:56 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gerax Quote
I understand, still the Japanese night clips are shot at night...that's what I'm wondering. I'd really like to know how the camera was set on that occasion.

L.
I'd like to know as well. However, one thing that is clear is that the camera was on a tripod in every single case. This dramatically reduces the amount of difference between frames. Thus, the low bit rate of the Pentax doesn't show as badly. If the camera was hand-held, the quality of the footage would look dramatically different, IMO.
In fact, if you look carefully, none of the objects that are in motion (mostly vehicles) look sharp. That's partly because they are out of focus, and partly because of the low bit rate. For the most part, what's static and in focus looks good. Everything else is not.
11-17-2018, 12:19 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
wow, partly and mostly, one most lacking thing is one’s ability to make most out of what they have. instead of finding out lackings and concentrating on them, like bitrate, and the fact that electronical SR is not good, which makes it hard to not use tripod -> I decide to shoot handheld and have bad outcome, just for example.

for normal use I’d say IF one continues to explore it further, K-1 can be used to get quite acceptible result. as seen on that youtube clip on page 1. I did not concentrate on Oof blurry vehicles, I did concentrate on those trams, which were obviously target for this video. looked good and worked.

little edit: Where I come from, I tend to use and try out what i have, unless I really have to buy new gear. While you are exploring, one might find also good surprises, and ways to use your gear that you did not think before. First one has to find what you want to tell, that is much more demanding than technical stuff.

Last edited by repaap; 11-17-2018 at 11:33 AM.
11-18-2018, 06:16 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
wow, partly and mostly, one most lacking thing is one’s ability to make most out of what they have. instead of finding out lackings and concentrating on them, like bitrate, and the fact that electronical SR is not good, which makes it hard to not use tripod -> I decide to shoot handheld and have bad outcome, just for example.

for normal use I’d say IF one continues to explore it further, K-1 can be used to get quite acceptible result. as seen on that youtube clip on page 1. I did not concentrate on Oof blurry vehicles, I did concentrate on those trams, which were obviously target for this video. looked good and worked.

little edit: Where I come from, I tend to use and try out what i have, unless I really have to buy new gear. While you are exploring, one might find also good surprises, and ways to use your gear that you did not think before. First one has to find what you want to tell, that is much more demanding than technical stuff.
What is "normal" use ? Your own use case ?
With a lot of effort, you may be able to get acceptable results in some cases with the K-1 video, but it won't be easy. And in the vast majority of situations, it will under perform other cameras at much lower price points, including even smartphones. The op chose the GX80 as a B cam . They haven't chimed in a while. But IMO that should be their A cam for video. I own the nearly identical GX85 and it trounces the K-1 II for video in every way.
I wouldn't even consider the K-1 II as my B video cam. It would be my C video cam. The B cam would be my Galaxy Note 8 .

11-18-2018, 11:36 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
What is "normal" use ? Your own use case ?
With a lot of effort, you may be able to get acceptable results in some cases with the K-1 video, but it won't be easy. And in the vast majority of situations, it will under perform other cameras at much lower price points, including even smartphones. The op chose the GX80 as a B cam . They haven't chimed in a while. But IMO that should be their A cam for video. I own the nearly identical GX85 and it trounces the K-1 II for video in every way.
I wouldn't even consider the K-1 II as my B video cam. It would be my C video cam. The B cam would be my Galaxy Note 8 .
Well, long ansver in short. If one have already bought K-1. Why not to learn video thing with it. I’d say that with tripod it is pretty good. Normal thing would be documenting, taking video like that Japanese one at first page(which even you thought looks okay, but had to look more close to see what buggers you). It takes you there and might be just enough to capture moment. With out having to put more money for equipment. I really don’t like so much hand held video material. But small clips you can capture even handheld with out feeling dizzy. If one likes slomo or 4K then that is not ’normal video’.

I’d say that little m4/3 camera is nice to have and I take lot of video with it because of size, and if it ends up in my daughter hands(she is 9 months) I won’t be afraid if she drops it ect, because it is small and not so exspensive... I have K-1 for better photos and while at it I might even take some video. Most of my needs it would be just fine. I shoot video of my performances, to send it to festivals(they don’t like processed video. It has to be unedited, more simple the better) I take video of my rehearsals, sometimes even at events to show general feeling of it. Normal things to me. Usually I just take pictures.

But the thing is that lot of people don’t even know how to use gear that they have. They just buy latestand popular ones and might be that they won’t need it. I’d go other way. Learn the gear what you have and then when you really need better, buy one. Because, phone and automation in it is more than enough for many. Not saying that I’m right, but that is how I think about things.
11-19-2018, 05:18 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Well, long ansver in short. If one have already bought K-1. Why not to learn video thing with it.
OP in this thread was asking about picking up a K-1, he hadn't bought it yet.

QuoteQuote:
I’d say that with tripod it is pretty good. Normal thing would be documenting, taking video like that Japanese one at first page(which even you thought looks okay, but had to look more close to see what buggers you). It takes you there and might be just enough to capture moment. With out having to put more money for equipment. I really don’t like so much hand held video material. But small clips you can capture even handheld with out feeling dizzy. If one likes slomo or 4K then that is not ’normal video’.
4K is normal video these days on most cameras, including smartphones. I agree with you handheld footage is often hard to watch, especially without stabilizers.
But even on tripod, my K-1 II clearly was no match in video quality for the much cheaper Panasonic GX85. See my previous comparison at Mirrorless 4k video option for Pentax lenses - Page 6 - PentaxForums.com .
It was also no match for my Galaxy Note 8. So this is really about saving money - if one wants to do video, just skip the K-1 / K-1 II, and buy a cheaper m4/3 camera.

QuoteQuote:
I’d say that little m4/3 camera is nice to have and I take lot of video with it because of size, and if it ends up in my daughter hands(she is 9 months) I won’t be afraid if she drops it ect, because it is small and not so exspensive... I have K-1 for better photos and while at it I might even take some video. Most of my needs it would be just fine. I shoot video of my performances, to send it to festivals(they don’t like processed video. It has to be unedited, more simple the better) I take video of my rehearsals, sometimes even at events to show general feeling of it. Normal things to me. Usually I just take pictures.

But the thing is that lot of people don’t even know how to use gear that they have. They just buy latestand popular ones and might be that they won’t need it. I’d go other way. Learn the gear what you have and then when you really need better, buy one. Because, phone and automation in it is more than enough for many. Not saying that I’m right, but that is how I think about things.
I mostly bought the K-1 II for stills. I didn't expect any miracles from it in terms of video. I am not a gifted enough musician and my recordings take a very long time to get decent footage, sometimes multiple hours. I record the audio separately . I just want to keep the camera and audio recording until I get what I think is a good take. I can't be thinking about the camera or audio recorder running past its recording limit . Even if the K-1 II had great 4K quality today, the 30 min recording limit would still make it problematic for me. The GX85 replaced my camcorder as it can record long enough (almost 2 hours in one uninterrupted 4K take on battery).
The main thing that really bugs me on the GX85 is the lack of IR remote control sensor or wired remote input port. Smartphone app remote is the only thing that works with it. The GH5 fixes that, but $1000 more is just too much for a missing 50 cent IR sensor part. It's not as compact, also.
11-19-2018, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
OP in this thread was asking about picking up a K-1, he hadn't bought it yet.

4K is normal video these days on most cameras, including smartphones. I agree with you handheld footage is often hard to watch, especially without stabilizers.
But even on tripod, my K-1 II clearly was no match in video quality for the much cheaper Panasonic GX85. See my previous comparison at Mirrorless 4k video option for Pentax lenses - Page 6 - PentaxForums.com .
It was also no match for my Galaxy Note 8. So this is really about saving money - if one wants to do video, just skip the K-1 / K-1 II, and buy a cheaper m4/3 camera.

I have actually seen that foorage before, from you and you have good points there, but still that is perhaps quite spesific already? you have special need for sound for example and movement. light was challengin too.

I mostly bought the K-1 II for stills. I didn't expect any miracles from it in terms of video. I am not a gifted enough musician and my recordings take a very long time to get decent footage, sometimes multiple hours. I record the audio separately . I just want to keep the camera and audio recording until I get what I think is a good take. I can't be thinking about the camera or audio recorder running past its recording limit . Even if the K-1 II had great 4K quality today, the 30 min recording limit would still make it problematic for me. The GX85 replaced my camcorder as it can record long enough (almost 2 hours in one uninterrupted 4K take on battery).
The main thing that really bugs me on the GX85 is the lack of IR remote control sensor or wired remote input port. Smartphone app remote is the only thing that works with it. The GH5 fixes that, but $1000 more is just too much for a missing 50 cent IR sensor part. It's not as compact, also.
Each on their own. I do agree that M4/3 is good and there are quite cheap good options avalable too, just for video alone. for me full HD is enough. I can shoot 4K with my Olympus, but there are very few moments when I’d like or need to have it. but more specific you go, more expensive everything begins to be. but that is already different thing. you can get good taste of filming with K-1. full manual video, it has restrictions and people seriously getting in video will have to get something else. but still for what it is, it is not useless. oh, and I also use external recorder sometimes. and never shoot with out my Røde mic.

11-23-2018, 07:27 PM   #23
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jspillane Quote
Happy K1 owner here.

I work professionally in film/video, and while I haven't messed around with the K1 seriously - I think even with low/no budget you can get much better options. A used GH2 will blow it out of the water and can probably be found for $200 bucks or less.

5D MKII with Magic Lantern is a substantially more flexible option. GH4 shot on 4k and downres'd to 2K will absolutely destroy it.

I mean - I am sure it is usable if you are OK with heavily compressed 4:2:0 8bit and almost no customizable options. But I don't really know why one would when there are so many better cheap options floating around.

The K1 is a camera designed for photography, and for that, I think it is the best bang for buck currently on market. Honestly, I think they could have just left video off altogether, a la the Nikon DF, and put something else where the REC button is.
The best "real" answer I've seen so far...!
01-27-2019, 06:12 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobcobb Quote
I'm looking to pick up a Pentax K-1 (been wanting to get back into landscape photography for a long time), but am also about to start preproduction on a low budget documentary. Was originally planning on shooting on the Panasonic GH4/GH5 for everything, but am going to be needing multiple cameras for some days, and because of a lack of budget was wondering how the Pentax K-1 stacks up. I'm mostly wondering in terms of its dynamic range specifically in video mode and matching with footage from other cameras.
Buy a GH4 for the video and the K-1 for the stills.
Yes, the K-1 has a greater dynamic range, but the GH4 came with a h264 data rate of 50Mbit/s for HD, where the K-1 is stuck down at 19 to 21 Mbit/s.

But here's why 'both' is the best answer.
Firstly, the DLi-90 batteries used in the K-1 (K-01, K-3 etc) fit in the GH4, so you can use your Pentax batteries as spares for the GH4 - the Panny version won't go in the Pentax body though, due to a keyway on the battery and Pentax body.
Secondly, with a basic K-to-M4/3 adapter you can use your Pentax lenses in front of the GH4, so long as they're K, KM, KA series - Digital lenses without the Iris Ring will default to closed iris. I'm not aware of any electronic or Focal Reducer versions of a K-toM4/3 adapter, I usually use a K-to-EF ring and then EF-to-M4/3 focal reducer for when I need more stops or want a FF 'look' on APSc sensor.
02-17-2019, 04:35 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A few problems I see here are:
1) It's 2019. 4k and real stabilisation (be that lens or sensor) are both real things. Where once they were the future, now they're here and cemented as the norm.
In a world of 4k (and soon to be 8k TVs?!) to still be passing out 17-24 Mbps 1080p with no 60pfps option, this is beyond poor now.

2) Pentax really hasn't significantly improved it's video offering since 2012, when the K-01 and K-30 first came in.
-Yes a few tweaks have been added, and the K-70 has on sensor AF points to allow for AF in video, but fundamentally it's all the same ballpark and it's massively showing it's age now.

3) Sensor tech has really come a long way, and as such there are many devices capable of good enough image results in both stills and video.
Not saying one optimised for either isn't better at that task, but there are many devices that offer good enough quality now to do both.
That's an issue for Pentax when people have a budget for one combo device, as Pentax is a definite under performer in the video arena.

4) Mirrorless cameras (specifically with on sensor phase AF points) seem to utilise tracking AF right across the whole image frame.
Debate if AF is required in video all you want, but some cameras do offer very usable AF in video mode, so it's a shock to find AF in nearly all Pentax cameras works right up until you start recording.
Likewise with focus peaking etc, which all stops when you start recording.

I've given up any hope of a firmware addressing anything on my older Pentax bodies, but something as new as a K-1 should have more capabilities than it has.
Hopefully anything new will address this, in a year we're expecting some K-3 type real replacement.
04-01-2019, 07:30 PM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobcobb Quote
Yes, I realize that the K-1 isn't known for video quality, but I've shot documentaries on the Canon 5D Mark II, so if video quality is at least on that level, I think I can be satisfied.
I'm gonna toss a cat in the pidgeon pile then,... As in my experience, the 5D2 is no better or worse then a K-1.
You need to add Magic Lantern to a Canon to get good footage, and the colours still aren't as accurate as a Pentax.

As for video being 'soft', that's down to lens choice and colour profile settings - 'Muted' on the Pentax bodies is similar to, and easly to grade to match, the 'Cinestyle' profile that can be downloaded on to all Canon DSLRs. A little carefully sharpening in the colour grade will make them impossible to tell the difference, with the exception of the wider dynamic range encoded in to the K-1's files - Canon clips the 11 stops of the 5D2 down to 9 stops in video, the K-1 retains all of it's dynamic range, but some of that will not display properly until graded, as it's outside the 'legal' IRE range.

Yes, the Panasonics, especially the GH4/5/5s and G85/G9, will outstrip the K-1, but they also blow away all the Canon DSLR's too.
Those Panasonics can also use the Pentax DLi-90 battery out of the K-1.
04-08-2019, 04:00 AM   #27

I have kind of given up on trying to shoot video with the K1.
I have some videoclip work coming up, and I'm renting an A7III for cheap. I was also considering getting one but it's still premature.
If the things starts to grow I may bite the bullet and get one, and use an adapter to use my DA and Sigma lenses on it (there's some adapters that allow manual aperture control of DA lenses, and focus manually when shooting video.
I have tried all the lenses I own on the K1 to shoot video and the issue is not the lens but the use of the sensor and Mbit rate as correctly pointed out above.
Video is way too soft to be considered usable nowdays that we are regularly shooting 4K or 1080 when card space is limited.
I think the video department is not of much interest for Pentax...get along with it...
04-08-2019, 08:29 AM   #28
Veteran Member

The A7 family is good, I've shot on A7s with K/KM/KA primes, and it produces fantastic shots.
One place the Pentax does beat it though, is in Rolling Shutter Skew - where buildings etc wobble sideways when the camera pans past them - some of the Sony's have shockingly bad performance in that area, where the Pentax and Nikon cameras are some of the best.
With the A7-3 it's better, but still not great - it's pretty easy to shot around though, with a good shoulder rig or gimbal, and simply being aware that there a limit to how fast one can swing the camera around.
If you can, pair the A7-3 with an external recorder, the files will be bigger, but free from compression artifacts.
04-09-2019, 06:10 AM   #29

For this project that's coming up I'll go with the recording in camera: not enough budget to justify additional gear, and since the final outcome will be YT I can accept some compression, even though I think I'll shoot 4K.
For this gig I think I'll use Sony lenses, as I don't have time to experiment with K lenses and adapters.
I've never operated a Sony A7 so, care to share any particular settings and tips I should consider?

Thanx
04-09-2019, 09:20 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Don't pan too fast, choose your highlights to keep or blow out.

Trust the AF.