Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2018, 06:54 AM   #1

Best lenses for video (on k-70)

Hi Everyone,

I'm sure this has come up as a topic in the past but as I only have the body for my k-70, I'm going to need a lens.

I'm wanting to mainly use it for video, specifically doing tech reviews so I'll need to frame things nicely and zoom in on details of the product I'm reviewing.

My budget is £125.

Currently looking at:
HD DA 18-50mm DC WR RE
SMC DA L 18-50mm DC WR RE
SMC Pentax DA 18-55 WR lens

Thanks in advance,
Nofaddey

12-06-2018, 07:45 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don’t have experience with the 18-50, but the 18-55 is a good lens for a kit lens. The only thing I’ll point out is all three lenses are screwdrive auto focus, which will give you noise if you are recording sound from your camera. If your sound is recorded by a separate device, this won’t be such an issue. A lot of video is done with manual focus lenses to avoid this, is that an option for you?
12-06-2018, 08:10 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
I don’t have experience with the 18-50, but the 18-55 is a good lens for a kit lens. The only thing I’ll point out is all three lenses are screwdrive auto focus, which will give you noise if you are recording sound from your camera. If your sound is recorded by a separate device, this won’t be such an issue. A lot of video is done with manual focus lenses to avoid this, is that an option for you?
Yes i'm open to any other suggestions that would be appropriate. But I believe the top two I listed use the newer silent motor.
12-06-2018, 08:25 AM   #4
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
The only thing I’ll point out is all three lenses are screwdrive auto focus
QuoteOriginally posted by Nofaddey Quote
But I believe the top two I listed use the newer silent motor.
Yep, the 18-50 WR RE kit lenses use the DC motor (silent auto focus).

If you're looking at the 18-50 kit lenses, I might suggest the 18-135 for the extra reach. I was using the 18-50 and was very happy when I upgraded to the 18-135 (but I don't use video at all).

One thing to consider would be lighting for sure, these lenses have average apertures (not fast) so you'll either have to have a well lit studio or up your ISO game.

All the best!

Edit: I know that some people like to 'de-click' the aperture ring on some older lenses to use variable aperture without hearing the noisy clicks!

Last edited by FozzFoster; 12-06-2018 at 08:58 AM.
12-06-2018, 09:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Since with video you'd probably want manual focus (serious video anyway), I'd consider a lens with a focus ring designed for manual video.
Also, either a de-clicked aperture, or automatic aperture (meaning from the A-series onwards).
Regarding zoom, I don't know where to find a measure of each lens' "varifocality"... but that would definitely be important for video use (you'd want a parfocal one).
12-06-2018, 09:55 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Since with video you'd probably want manual focus (serious video anyway), I'd consider a lens with a focus ring designed for manual video.
Also, either a de-clicked aperture, or automatic aperture (meaning from the A-series onwards).
Regarding zoom, I don't know where to find a measure of each lens' "varifocality"... but that would definitely be important for video use (you'd want a parfocal one).
Great advice, got any recommendations of lenses which fit this profile?
12-06-2018, 09:59 AM   #7
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
I think the point of declicking a lens is to smoothly and quietly change the aperture during video taking, no?
If you had an A-series or onward lens, you'd still hear the the clicks of the control wheel as you changed the aperture during video taking - and the automatic aperture would change in steps instead of being a fluid aperture change like a declicked lens would..

12-06-2018, 10:02 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
I think the point of declicking a lens is to smoothly and quietly change the aperture during video taking, no?
If you had an A-series or onward lens, you'd still hear the the clicks of the control wheel as you changed the aperture during video taking - and the automatic aperture would change in steps instead of being a fluid aperture change like a declicked lens would..
Any pentax lenses that come de-clicked that you can suggest?
12-06-2018, 10:08 AM   #9
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nofaddey Quote
Any pentax lenses that come de-clicked that you can suggest?
Not really - I don't take videos..
Declicking is a method you do to a normal lens. There are some cine lenses (I think) from Samyang that come in K-Mount..

This link may help!
DIY: Turn any Manual Pentax Lens into a Cine Lens - Columns | PentaxForums.com
12-06-2018, 10:23 AM - 1 Like   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Not really - I don't take videos..
Declicking is a method you do to a normal lens. There are some cine lenses (I think) from Samyang that come in K-Mount..

This link may help!
DIY: Turn any Manual Pentax Lens into a Cine Lens - Columns | PentaxForums.com

Thank you.

Just read up on the samyang line, cant find a review of them on this site though which is a shame.
12-06-2018, 10:24 AM   #11
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

In honesty, I don't think for your tech reviews you'll need a declicked lens. It's quite an artsy thing to do in videography.

I'm thinking for your purposes that one of the silent 18-50 or the silent 18-135 will work just fine - just make sure to have a bright studio as to not have to use high ISO.

Hope this helps!

---------- Post added 12-06-18 at 10:33 AM ----------

To be honest, video isn't an area that Pentax is really focusing on.
They provide the basic video options, but they aren't really known for making outstanding cameras to do video work.
That being said, they are entirely capable of producing good video. I know some users wish Pentax would step up their concentration on producing more video oriented products - but I'm doubtful.
So when you say there aren't reviews on cine lenses for Pentax bodies, I'm not really surprised as it's not a priority for most Pentax users.

Last edited by FozzFoster; 12-06-2018 at 10:35 AM.
12-06-2018, 07:16 PM - 1 Like   #12

Will your budget stretch to the sigma 17-50 2.8? I am not sure of the prices in the UK but this is a great lens with silent focusing. Also its 2.8 so bright enough for indoor use. There is also the Sigma 17-70 which may be slightly cheaper.
12-07-2018, 07:49 AM   #13
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alnjpn Quote
Also its 2.8 so bright enough for indoor use.
This is a great suggestion for sure!

Would allow to zoom and compose on items in the review and as well have the 2.8 for brighter footage without high ISO!
12-07-2018, 10:02 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alnjpn Quote
Will your budget stretch to the sigma 17-50 2.8? I am not sure of the prices in the UK but this is a great lens with silent focusing. Also its 2.8 so bright enough for indoor use. There is also the Sigma 17-70 which may be slightly cheaper.
Thanks for the suggestion, this may be my next lens choice. Gone for the HD DA 18-50mm DC WR RE in new condition for £92 which I found on Ebay. Will see how I get on with this seems like a useful one for its size and weight, so will be a good choice to get me started on a mixture of photography and video indoor and outdoor.

Noticed I can pick up a sigma 17-50 2.8 for £140 used, is this a good price and worth snapping up ?
12-07-2018, 07:34 PM   #15

I am in Japan - the average price here for second hand in good condition is 20,000yen which works out about 140 sterling. I think this is a good price. Be aware it can be a little soft at 2.8 but this won't matter as much with video. I don't think you will be disappointed with the Sigma. I don't use my Pentax for video but if you are interested in looking at some sample photographs I have an album on Flickr. Sigma 17-50 2.8 | Flickr
Cheers