Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2018, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So, final cut, or LR premier or not either of those.

So, I have been going on about which movie editing tool should I get. I'd rather get one program and not pay licence á la LR CC, but that is possible too.

But is there other good alternatives. I'm using Imovie now. (I have iMac book pro, and will get ither iMac or iMac pro in future)

So please good alternatives way better than iMovie ect cheap good program. I will buy Theta also for 360 video stuff. Main video tools are Oly E5MII and K-1, and then that thing.

Any thoughts on this?

12-10-2018, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'll probably get a bunch of flack ("I'll never sell my soul to that monthly subscription demon!"), but I pay for Adobe CC Lightroom, Photoshop, and Premiere Pro.
Slick tools, industry standard, regular upgrades/updates.
Never looked back!
12-10-2018, 11:41 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
I'll probably get a bunch of flack ("I'll never sell my soul to that monthly subscription demon!"), but I pay for Adobe CC Lightroom, Photoshop, and Premiere Pro.
Slick tools, industry standard, regular upgrades/updates.
Never looked back!
I also have LR&Photoshot CC...so perhaps I'm just thinking it too much and should go for it.
12-10-2018, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #4
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I also have LR&Photoshot CC...so perhaps I'm just thinking it too much and should go for it.
Might be good to do research here...

I know there are a TON of tutorials on Adobe's suite and that if I ever get stuck there will be many people who can show me the light, lesser known products may not have as much of a user base and it may be more difficult to find answers.

If my memory serves, Premiere Pro costs more than Lightroom and Photoshop combined - it's still not too much for what I get out of it..

ymmv!

12-10-2018, 11:54 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Might be good to do research here...

I know there are a TON of tutorials on Adobe's suite and that if I ever get stuck there will be many people who can show me the light, lesser known products may not have as much of a user base and it may be more difficult to find answers.

If my memory serves, Premiere Pro costs more than Lightroom and Photoshop combined - it's still not too much for what I get out of it..

ymmv!
Thanks! I'll take another look to that program.
12-10-2018, 12:27 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I used to do a lot of video editing in my job but that was several years ago. I used Final Cut Pro which was a fantastic piece of software with unlimited capabilities, and at that time was very expensive (cheaper now). I also went to a 4 day class on using it I don't know as much about Premier, except that it is a respected piece of software. I guess the attraction to premier may be the (supposed) integration into other Adobe software.

These days I no longer do video editing in my job. I did want to have a video editor to play with in case I do some video but I'm not doing it professionally. I bought a copy of Corel Paint Shop Pro which included Video Studio Pro when it was cheap, so I'm covered , good enough for non pro work.
12-10-2018, 12:41 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

I work as a video technician at our city theatre and use Final Cut Pro X professionally. I haven't used Premiere Pro much but I prefer the general workflow and principle of a magnetic timeline of Final Cut. Especially coming from iMovie Final Cut will feel like home but a whole lot better.

Yes 299.- $ is a substantial amount of money but you only pay it once, you also get free updates and it's actually not much for a professional video editing software. Premiere Pro will cost you almost as much (239.- $) but that is per year.

What you could also try out is DaVinci Resolve from Blackmagicdesign. There is a basic version you can download for free on the App Store. The functionality of the basic version will probably be enough for what you need. I haven't used it yet but it's being used for very big (Hollywood) productions. It seems like a very sophisticated software and I use many different Blackmagic products at my job and they are all awesome quality, good design and simple to use.

12-10-2018, 06:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I use Shotcut, it's free, but fairly powerful and has a fairly easy to use layout.
12-11-2018, 12:42 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alpheios Quote
I work as a video technician at our city theatre and use Final Cut Pro X professionally. I haven't used Premiere Pro much but I prefer the general workflow and principle of a magnetic timeline of Final Cut. Especially coming from iMovie Final Cut will feel like home but a whole lot better.

Yes 299.- $ is a substantial amount of money but you only pay it once, you also get free updates and it's actually not much for a professional video editing software. Premiere Pro will cost you almost as much (239.- $) but that is per year.

What you could also try out is DaVinci Resolve from Blackmagicdesign. There is a basic version you can download for free on the App Store. The functionality of the basic version will probably be enough for what you need. I haven't used it yet but it's being used for very big (Hollywood) productions. It seems like a very sophisticated software and I use many different Blackmagic products at my job and they are all awesome quality, good design and simple to use.
Thanks! This is why I have been going back and forth with which should I get. I have trial version of adobe now, and will propably give that DaVinci a go too, since that is risk free(AFAK) to try. Having iMac book or just imac, that Final cut Pro X would make lot of sense.

edit: I have been eyeing Blackmagick cameras also for updating my m 4/3 camera for video use, so that would be a nod towards DaVinci..
12-11-2018, 03:17 AM - 1 Like   #10

Photos: Gallery
I'd also recommend DaVinci Resolve which is a very comprehensive product, and the free version includes all of the features that you will ever need as an amateur videographer, and much more than that actually.
12-11-2018, 05:23 AM   #11

Check out Open Shot Video Editor. Its open source - free and very easy use. It does pretty much everything you will need to do for video. If you really want to pay for something then Premiere Pro is the best.
12-11-2018, 03:44 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think LR will edit movie clips. I use Adobe Premiere Pro for video.
12-11-2018, 08:33 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I don't use Final Cut or Premier, but I can tell you that there seems to have been a shift a while back from Final Cut to Premier among a lot of folks. The last two videographers we hired swore by Premier. One had come from a newsroom environment and the other had been editing a syndicated show that he and his wife did out of their home. The main freelancer we use also edits on Premier.
12-11-2018, 11:37 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
I don't think LR will edit movie clips. I use Adobe Premiere Pro for video.
Yes, what I actually ment was that I have already LR and PS, so I could get Premier also with CC license, as I have two other. Actually even PS does some video editong. Not the best tool for that. What I’m not so interested right now is putting 250€/yr. To the software which I will use now and then.

Edit: not willing to spend that much, unless it is only good alternative...

---------- Post added 12-12-18 at 09:00 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I don't use Final Cut or Premier, but I can tell you that there seems to have been a shift a while back from Final Cut to Premier among a lot of folks. The last two videographers we hired swore by Premier. One had come from a newsroom environment and the other had been editing a syndicated show that he and his wife did out of their home. The main freelancer we use also edits on Premier.
I can see clearly why it is so good. Might be that I’ll end up with it. But now I’ll take a look of Final cut and DaVinci to get the idea of what I get from where. I could just stay with iMovie, but I want little a bit more.

Last edited by repaap; 12-11-2018 at 11:57 PM.
12-13-2018, 12:19 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I’v handeled DaVinci and Final cut now. and for some reason, I already like DaVinci resolve more. dunno, seems more professional like. But, there is still Adobe Premiere to be try out. I’ll give DaVinci a proper go next weekend.