Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2018, 06:36 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I personally use VSDC for editing. It takes a bit to get used to, but is pretty powerful and suits my needs and then some.

12-16-2018, 04:22 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Little drawback with DaVinci...seems like my iMac book pro with 16 GB ram is too little for the task. Will find out if that is also the case with Final cut... and adobe product. But i did like Da Vinci till the point when almost nothing happened for a while. It will also need 4K or 5K big screen to be anywhere good in using it. Will get back to it when I have upgraded my computer.
12-17-2018, 06:51 PM   #18

Have you tried Davinci Resolve?

12-18-2018, 11:30 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tapasr_5737b337e9db0 Quote
Have you tried Davinci Resolve?
I did, and propably give it another go. but I’m afraid that my computer don’t have enough power to run that program properly. it seems nice. and you can do a lot with it. going to upgrade my computer at January, so other try at then. now I’m trying out final cut pro.

12-18-2018, 01:07 PM   #20

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Matchete Quote
I'd also recommend DaVinci Resolve which is a very comprehensive product, and the free version includes all of the features that you will ever need as an amateur videographer, and much more than that actually.

Just curious ...

Does the Free version of DaVinci Resolve have watermarks on the final video?
12-19-2018, 02:59 AM - 1 Like   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by R. Wethereyet Quote
Just curious ...

Hi,

No it doesn't ! Amazingly enough the free version is a full-fledged video editing tool with heaps of great features .
12-19-2018, 04:23 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Matchete Quote
Hi,

No it doesn't ! Amazingly enough the free version is a full-fledged video editing tool with heaps of great features .
I was editing video yesterday with Final cut pro, and after DaVinci resolve it felt like why to pay for Pro..? It is not ’that’ much more than iMovie, for what it is. Yes, more filters and developed sound ect things. But that is almost 300€. DaVinci does the same for free. Only thing is that it is optimised automaticaly with my iMac book pro(finalcut). And DaVinci is too heavy. That said, iMovie can do basic things, it is not as fluent as final cut pro, but not that much better either.

I’ll give DaVinci an other go today with little smaller video files. Some how it feels that I’d get more bang for € with DaVinci than final cut. If I decide to buy a program. Ofcourse Adobe is what it is, but in 2-3 yr from now it is also more money. Even Da Vinci free version is great! It needs just a lot of resolving power.. more exploring needs to be done. But it is fun also.

12-19-2018, 01:57 PM   #23
Pentaxian

12-19-2018, 02:00 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Oh, I hated that watermark in resolve today(while working). Went back to try the final cut after that. Have to learn some more tricks in it. It sure is good to have that trial time to make up your mind. luckily I’m not in hurry of buying stuff.

---------- Post added 12-19-18 at 23:14 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Thanks for the link. Pretty much sums up what has been going on in this thread
Edit:added comment

Also little note. I do like Final cut. Seems that you can really controll lot of things more than iMovie. Now question is that would it be enough. I have been lusting after Blackmagic pocket cinema camera 4K for a while now. And since you get Resolve full license with it, it kind a lowers the whole paggage prize...I have Pentax -> m4/3 adapter and I could buy couple lenses to use with my Oly when needed/get lenses just for cine. So that kind a gives to me one option(also one more thing to wonder). I like Resolve. Final cut is not too bad either. I have actually enjoyed it. But one problem is lack of proper editing your sound files in program vs resolve. But Final cut is easy to use, really well matches even my book pro. Not sure if I really fancy that trackpad usage, even if it has been optimised. I'd rather have a mouse.

Thanks for the help guys!

oh and one more thing, no premier needed! Saves me a lot of money.

Last edited by repaap; 12-20-2018 at 01:48 PM.
01-27-2019, 05:35 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
So, I have been going on about which movie editing tool should I get.
DaVinci Resolve.

No issues working with cross-platform compatibility on Mac, Linux or Windows. GPU based rendering, network rendering.

Resolve is free, Resolve Studio is US$299. No other brand of NLE can compete with that.

GV Edius is still faster for cutting, but Resolve integrates Editing, compositing, grading and sound tools all in to one package.

And it runs without having to have your editing PC online, so your and your clients files are safe from hacks to cloud based services.

edit: I have been eyeing Blackmagick cameras also for updating my m 4/3 camera for video use, so that would be a nod towards DaVinci..
Resolve Studio comes included with all of BMD's cameras.

Little drawback with DaVinci...seems like my iMac book pro with 16 GB ram is too little for the task.
Which version - 15 will be pretty heavy on most laptops. 12 or 14 might run easier on older hardware, if you're able to do compositing and sound in other applications.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
I don't think LR will edit movie clips. I use Adobe Premiere Pro for video.
It does, buts it's very basic editing, and PITA to use.

QuoteOriginally posted by R. Wethereyet Quote
Resolve will only have a watermark over the video if you try to use an effect that is only included in the full Resolve Studio version - they're still included in the downloaded free version, and will activate if you upgrade to the license for the full Studio version.
For regular editing and most colour correction uses, you should never see the watermark.

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 01-27-2019 at 05:47 AM.
01-27-2019, 07:05 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
DaVinci Resolve.

No issues working with cross-platform compatibility on Mac, Linux or Windows. GPU based rendering, network rendering.

Resolve is free, Resolve Studio is US$299. No other brand of NLE can compete with that.

GV Edius is still faster for cutting, but Resolve integrates Editing, compositing, grading and sound tools all in to one package.

And it runs without having to have your editing PC online, so your and your clients files are safe from hacks to cloud based services.

Resolve Studio comes included with all of BMD's cameras.

Which version - 15 will be pretty heavy on most laptops. 12 or 14 might run easier on older hardware, if you're able to do compositing and sound in other applications.

It does, buts it's very basic editing, and PITA to use.

Resolve will only have a watermark over the video if you try to use an effect that is only included in the full Resolve Studio version - they're still included in the downloaded free version, and will activate if you upgrade to the license for the full Studio version.
For regular editing and most colour correction uses, you should never see the watermark.
I tried 15, and also got that watermark for trying to use studio effect=watermark. my I book pro is too slow for that version. but I’m going to get iMac, soon.
01-29-2019, 05:20 AM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

TBH, for the money you spend on an Apple, you could get a much better specced PC desktop, with a much better (ie, current spec, not 3 generations behind) GPU card.

GPU and Memory are your best friends when moving video footage through the steps of editing and grading, far more so then which OS is used.
01-29-2019, 05:20 AM   #28
Veteran Member

TBH, for the money you spend on an Apple, you could get a much better specced PC desktop, with a much better (ie, current spec, not 3 generations behind) GPU card.

GPU and Memory are your best friends when moving video footage through the steps of editing and grading, far more so then which OS is used.
01-29-2019, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote

I have had my share with PC...so that is that.

02-07-2019, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Update! I bought Final cut. Reason. It has been designed for Mac. Works like charm. If I will buy BMPCC 4K one day I still have a option of resolve for free, but full licence.

this was just 5 minute work. Nothing fancy, but trying my new tripod out with Kinohead. Shot with K-1 + DFA*70-200. Just having fun, no planned script.