Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2019, 03:41 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Well, that's a helpful comment,....
Pentax have only offered video capabilities for the last 10 years, so it's still quite new and they haven't had much time to improve it.
No other company has been able to offer good stills and video performance...

07-19-2019, 04:25 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I understand video capability of any Pentax cameras is not great, but IMHO, it is still usable. Based on your video, it is hard to get a good focus as you are taking the video at an angle of the drawing table. Even if it is in focus (perhaps around the center), it is hard to see. However, if you take the video with the drawing at a vertical position, you will clearly see if it is in focus or not.
07-20-2019, 05:52 AM - 1 Like   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
I am not sure people buy pentax SLRs for video purposes. I bought a dedicated sony cam for that specific usage.
You mean, a video camera? I'd rather use my phone to shoot a video than use a dedicated (consumer) video camera, they tend to be quite terrible. At least my phone has a much larger sensor than those, let alone a faster lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Pentax have only offered video capabilities for the last 10 years, so it's still quite new and they haven't had much time to improve it.
No other company has been able to offer good stills and video performance...

@PiDicus Rex: Mh, but it does show the attitude of Pentaxians, which is what Ricoh also sees. That's why Pentax is so far behind the market that you'd wonder if they even try to sell cameras. That's why Pentax is pretty much irrelevant in terms of sales, when Sony, a much newer brand to the camera market, and a far less important one, is dominating the market so much that Canon and Nikon are wetting their pants and do everything they can to catch up... before all of their customers have left for Sony.
07-21-2019, 09:45 AM   #49
MJL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
You mean, a video camera? I'd rather use my phone to shoot a video than use a dedicated (consumer) video camera, they tend to be quite terrible. At least my phone has a much larger sensor than those, let alone a faster lens.
Totally disagree!

Have you tried the Sony FDR-AX or Panasonic HC-VX series? They have much better auto focus, audio input/options, optional long running battery and less prone to overheat.

A few phones can shot decent 4K video, but they still do not have physical aperture or optical zoom which are important in making a smart video. They do excel in low light conditions, I admit.

07-24-2019, 03:52 AM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
@PiDicus Rex: Mh, but it does show the attitude of Pentaxians, which is what Ricoh also sees. That's why Pentax is so far behind the market that you'd wonder if they even try to sell cameras. That's why Pentax is pretty much irrelevant in terms of sales, when Sony, a much newer brand to the camera market, and a far less important one, is dominating the market so much that Canon and Nikon are wetting their pants and do everything they can to catch up... before all of their customers have left for Sony.
Spot on. The company is only listening to the feedback they already want to hear, from the anti-video "We ONLY Shoot Stills" crowd.

As for 'good' video camcorders, all the decent ones have 1" or bigger sensors now, and are in the AU$2000+ price bracket - and most don't match the KP for low light use.
5 Days Ago   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJL Quote
Totally disagree!

Have you tried the Sony FDR-AX or Panasonic HC-VX series? They have much better auto focus, audio input/options, optional long running battery and less prone to overheat.

A few phones can shot decent 4K video, but they still do not have physical aperture or optical zoom which are important in making a smart video. They do excel in low light conditions, I admit.
I tried the Sony FDR-AX33 . Yes, it was everything you say it was. But it also had very poor picture indoors in lowlight due to the sensor size. I returned it for that reason.

I don't think phones "excel" in low-light conditions. They are hampered by their sensor size too. Nevertheless, they do manage much better video picture than DSLRs.
4 Days Ago   #52

QuoteOriginally posted by RobSpain Quote
... despite using SR they were shaky, and the auto focus was hopeless.
I don't use SR as I always shoot video from a tripod using manual focus, and I always use program mode to get the best video images.
4 Days Ago   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJL Quote
Totally disagree!

I'm not too impressed with those.

My phone has a 1/1.7 main sensor and a f1.6 aperture with OIS and 25mm eq. Then there is a 16mm eq lens and a 125mm eq lens with OIS, though their sensors aren't as great.