Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2018, 03:23 AM   #1
Pentaxian

K-70 Terrible video results.

Have had the K-70 a couple of months. I didn't buy it for its video capabilities as I'd read online that it wasn't brilliant. Tried out the video shortly after purchase and wasn't impressed, so I left it for a while as I wanted to learn more about the camera and its still photographic skills. In this department, I've been very impressed. So yesterday I took a longer look at video. Took several indoors, and they came out terrible! The colours were all wrong, despite using SR they were shaky, and the auto focus was hopeless. So tried changing white balance, used filters, tried tungsten settings and different Kelvin temperatures, all to no avail. Quite honestly, I think the cheapest possible mobile phone would take a better video. I'm not overly bothered as I don't shoot much video and as I say, I didn't but it for this attribute!

But I am curious to hear about other K-70 users' experience in this department. And perhaps there is a trick I don't know about. Many thanks!

Robert.

12-14-2018, 03:52 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What I’ve noticed from the few videos I’ve shot is, don’t use SR.
Otherwise, I’ve not had any issues. But, as you also state Robert, if I want to shoot a video, I use my iPhone.
12-14-2018, 04:04 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You’ll need to hold its hand a little, I think. All modern Pentaxes will provide ok (but not spectacular) video but it needs a little care. The built-in software SR doesn’t do a good job so I don’t use it, but then I de-shake in post. I also use a basic colour mode setting (usually the ‘muted’ setting) and again adjust in post. AF is pretty much a waste of time in video, so you’d be better off selecting your preferred aperture and pre-focus before pushing record.
12-14-2018, 04:27 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DrawsACircle Quote
Otherwise, I’ve not had any issues. But, as you also state Robert, if I want to shoot a video, I use my iPhone.
Yes, I read that elsewhere in another post. Thanks!

---------- Post added 12-14-18 at 04:29 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DrawsACircle Quote
Yes, read that. I'll try outdoors over the weekend, and see. It's just that the colours indoors were super saturated and almost unreal.

12-14-2018, 05:34 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Video is always on the list of Pentax’s foibles. Maybe someday we’ll get a properly video-capable Kmount camera.
12-14-2018, 06:06 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As was mentioned, almost all the reviews and such i read before buying said the video was less than desirable. I have yet to try it and since in about ten year with a Canon S3 I used it once it may be a while until that happens (it gave home-movies quality). With other technology there is an axiom about not expecting one tool to do two jobs. If i was serious (and wealthy) about video I would use/buy a camera for shooting video. Is there a still-video camera that is excellent on both counts? Is there a video camera that allows the capture of single frames that will produce outstanding reproduction?
12-14-2018, 07:54 AM - 1 Like   #7
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

I bring the video of my K-S2 into Premiere Pro and do heavy corrections, especially for indoor shots. I found that a gamma correction (among others) is very useful for producing usable footage.

Last edited by FozzFoster; 12-14-2018 at 09:39 AM.
12-14-2018, 09:31 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, gamma correction is my friend also.
12-14-2018, 11:36 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
If i was serious (and wealthy) about video I would use/buy a camera for shooting video.
That's a bit of a problem these days since the DSLR look has taken over a lot of video production. I work on a weekly tv show and we have traditional video cameras that are strictly for video. They don't shoot stills of any kind. However, we're about to change over to mirrorless cameras so we can get that more film-like look.

QuoteQuote:
Is there a still-video camera that is excellent on both counts? Is there a video camera that allows the capture of single frames that will produce outstanding reproduction?
The answer to the first question is, "Definitely!" In fact, the camera that pretty much started this trend of using DSLRs to shoot video was the Canon 5D...and it does tremendous still shots. The answer to the second question is also, "Yes", but many cameras that were designed as "video first" cameras don't have as many megapixels as cameras that were intended primarily for use as a still camera. However, I know a lot of people who use the GoPro camera in their DJI drones strictly for still photography and it does a pretty darned good job.
12-14-2018, 01:29 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
To Everyone

Thanks to all for your comments. The bottom line is that Pentax still have a long way to go to improve in this area... if they want to. And, that's the question. They build great digital cameras with many more options and features that is only available from the competition at much higher prices, so I'm sure they could improve their video side if that's the direction they want to go in as a company. But anyway, as I've said before, I'm not too bothered, as I get to use all my old Pentax lenses and boy do they work well!
12-14-2018, 02:38 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Veteran Member

For shooting video's I mainly use a panasonic gh2 or a cellphone (depending on what I'm doing), a cellphone is actually better for hand held stuff than most dedicated video cameras. I very rarely shoot anything for video without a tripod or stabilisation of some sort, I've found that very few cameras handle handheld shooting well.

Occasionally I'll use my kp (or prior to owning this my k50) for indoor low light shooting, it is actually about the only time I use it for video, but the K70 should be similar. In that specific case I use it for low light with an ultra wide lens as my widest lens is K mount. I'm able to screw acceptable results out of it if i set up carefully.

I carefully light the frame, with balanced lights, I use a tripod, manual settings, manual focus, a custom white balance, and I use the muted settings for colour. The Kp and the K50 were both acceptable for this use.

Hand held in low light under house lighting (which typically isn't very bright compared to video lights), without careful lighting and without a careful white balance will give pretty awful results with most cameras. Even worse if you have a mix of light types in the house (and domestic LED's usually aren't great shakes for video either). Incidentally most serious videographers tend to either use either a tripod or mechanical (external) stabilisation, often with post stabilisation during editing.
12-15-2018, 07:17 PM - 1 Like   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobSpain Quote
The colours were all wrong
Sorry you got such bad results. The default, out-of-the-box, settings should usually be workable.

Is there any chance one of the more exotic custom image options were enabled? They apply in video as in still shooting. "Radiant' for example results in a sicky yellow cast under incandescent light that cannot easily be corrected by white balance. The usual choice for video is "muted".

and the auto focus was hopeless
I don't know if this will help, but AF while recording is turned off by default. Once turned on, it should work about as well as AF in live view for still photography (i.e. slow).

FWIW, while I have found the video on my K-3 adequate for occasional use on tripod with manual control (focus pull to suit is much easier than wrestling with AF) and vintage lenses, I would much prefer getting a dedicated camcorder or a Lumix GH if I were doing video more than 4 or 5 times a year.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-15-2018 at 07:26 PM.
12-16-2018, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

And perhaps there is a trick I don't know about. Many thanks!

Robert.

Since you're inexperienced, Rob, can you post a link to footage for others to see?
01-27-2019, 06:01 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Video is always on the list of Pentax’s foibles. Maybe someday we’ll get a properly video-capable Kmount camera.
I wish,... But it won't happen while the Stills-Only crowd keep filling biased responses in to the feedback surveys.

But I am curious to hear about other K-70 users' experience in this department. And perhaps there is a trick I don't know about.
+
It's just that the colours indoors were super saturated and almost unreal.
For shooting on any Pentaxx,.... Check your colour profile - Normal/Natural, and Muted are the best choices for shooting video on Pentaxes.
If you have the colour profile set to something like Vibrant, it will get very nasty very quickly.

Make sure to set the White Balance correctly too, that's absolutely essential.

QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
Is there a video camera that allows the capture of single frames that will produce outstanding reproduction?
Only the four Sony NEX-VG series - VG10, 20 and 30 were APSc sized sensors, VG-900 is Full Frame.
They got very nasty reviews when new by DSLR shooters who didn't understand how to do video properly, but try buy a VG-900 secondhand now, and they still cost close to the As New price.

QuoteOriginally posted by sqrrl Quote
Occasionally I'll use my kp (or prior to owning this my k50) for indoor low light shooting,
In that respect, the KP is the only DSLR that can keep up with Sony's A7s models for low-light performance, but still suffers from two low a data rate in the CoDec, even though it has a 50% higher bandwidth then other Pentax bodies.
01-28-2019, 03:48 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the additional comments, but I'm sticking to still photography for now as I didn't but the K-70 for video use in the first place. If I wanted to seriously get into video, I would simply buy a dedicated video camera, that way I will get the results I expect.