Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2019, 04:49 AM - 6 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I make no claims to being a videographer, but I've been on set for movies shot with DSLR's. If you want to get *seriously* into video, you should not be relying on autofocus and shake reduction. That is what follow focus rings, tripods, steadycam mounts and dollies are for.

Or use your phone.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 01-28-2019 at 04:57 AM.
02-17-2019, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote

Or use your phone.
Several phones have real mechanical/inbuilt sensor stabilisation, as do the majority of other camera brands now.

Pentax used to have this, but opted to remove it and go with a generic software attempt instead once Ricoh came on board.
Personally I think this was to keep costs down, so they could roll out the same software to any device, regardless of whether it had mechanical stabilisation capabilities or not (eg the ricoh action cam has Movie SR too).
It would be nice to have it brought back, or at least remove the crop factor that still occurs when you turn Movie SR off etc.
02-20-2019, 06:32 PM - 4 Likes   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
As was mentioned, almost all the reviews and such i read before buying said the video was less than desirable. I have yet to try it and since in about ten year with a Canon S3 I used it once it may be a while until that happens (it gave home-movies quality). With other technology there is an axiom about not expecting one tool to do two jobs. If i was serious (and wealthy) about video I would use/buy a camera for shooting video. Is there a still-video camera that is excellent on both counts? Is there a video camera that allows the capture of single frames that will produce outstanding reproduction?
Yes. There are. Almost any Panasonic, but especially the GH5 and G9. Some Fujis do great in that department. The Sony A7 series. Sony A6500. I believe some Olympus are great too. Panasonic S1 and S1R. Nikon Z6 and to a lesser degree Z7. I think the D750 or so was great too?

Basically most competitors are great for stills and video, Pentax is the only one that can't do both.

I wouldn't buy a dedicated video camera though. Either their results are crappy and far behind the above mentioned cameras, or they cost way too much.

I'm currently using a Panasonic G9, and it is absolutely lovely. The sensor is actually pretty good. The ergonomics are top notch and can compete with Pentax. The Leica lenses are a dream (15 1.7 and 12-60 2.8-4). The stabilization beats the crap out of Pentax, I can shoot 1/2 at 60mm (so 120mm 35eq), others seem to be able to to 1s. The viewfinder is very sharp, very fast, and just HUGE. And it shoots beautiful video too.

Last edited by kadajawi; 02-20-2019 at 06:38 PM.
03-16-2019, 12:49 AM - 3 Likes   #19
Veteran Member

G9 is one of the Panny's with "5-Axis Stabilisation" - Two in the lens, two in the sensor movement, plus the vector math software.

Most small sensor camcorders have lens and software stabilisation, and have had such since the DV era. Canon XL-1 had really good stabilization in the lens.

Pentax pretty much led the whole marketplace with IBIS on the sensor - if you put a Pentax in to Manual Stills with the Sensor Stabilization 'always on', and shift over to Live View on the LCD, you'll see what Pentax video Should Look Like.

03-16-2019, 09:16 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Yes. There are. Almost any Panasonic, but especially the GH5 and G9. Some Fujis do great in that department. The Sony A7 series. Sony A6500. I believe some Olympus are great too. Panasonic S1 and S1R.
Of course, Panasonic and Sony were camcorder companies before some 'genius' decided that all cameras should do everything .... they care about video.
03-18-2019, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Of course, Panasonic and Sony were camcorder companies before some 'genius' decided that all cameras should do everything .... they care about video.
Yeah, but the main thing is: They also sell cameras. Something that Pentax doesn't. They want to, sure, but who's buying? And Nikon and Canon are having issues too. So I guess there is demand for a camera that does everything.

Besides: The G9 is better for stills than my K-5. Hands down. From my limited experience with a K-3 it's also better than that, cause not that much has been improved. And, from a usage perspective, what makes it so great for video also makes it better than the K-1 for stills... the only thing the K-1 has going for itself is the bigger sensor. Because essentially it's the same thing. And boy, if I could have a scope (video feature) for stills... that would be very neat. Nailing exposure every single time. Features derived from video functionality add a lot to stills photography.
03-18-2019, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yeah, but the main thing is: They also sell cameras. Something that Pentax doesn't. They want to, sure, but who's buying?
As for who's buying, I would make a guess that might be most of the members of the Pentax Forums...or perhaps that is just conventional wisdom gone bad? It may be that most are posting about cars, computers, wireless gadgets, M43 mirrorless, and other things non-Pentax...oh, and why they will not be buying a K-3.

why I won't buy a k3 (Warning: Satire Thread) - PentaxForums.com

Steve

(...will be buying another Pentax when the one I own shows signs of slowing down...Just checked...not today...)

03-18-2019, 05:12 PM - 3 Likes   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobSpain Quote
Have had the K-70 a couple of months. I didn't buy it for its video capabilities as I'd read online that it wasn't brilliant. Tried out the video shortly after purchase and wasn't impressed, so I left it for a while as I wanted to learn more about the camera and its still photographic skills. In this department, I've been very impressed. So yesterday I took a longer look at video. Took several indoors, and they came out terrible! The colours were all wrong, despite using SR they were shaky, and the auto focus was hopeless. So tried changing white balance, used filters, tried tungsten settings and different Kelvin temperatures, all to no avail. Quite honestly, I think the cheapest possible mobile phone would take a better video. I'm not overly bothered as I don't shoot much video and as I say, I didn't but it for this attribute!

But I am curious to hear about other K-70 users' experience in this department. And perhaps there is a trick I don't know about. Many thanks!

Robert.
I used to own the K-70. It does take good 1080p video if you know what you are doing. Read and re-read the manual. Then play and experiment with its' video settings. In time, you too will get good 1080p video out of it.

Don't know what your background is, or what your expectations are. If you are expecting 4K video quality out of any Pentax digital camera, you aren't going to get it and you'll be disappointed. However, as far as 1080p goes, it's certainly good enough for most amateur videographers.
03-19-2019, 12:28 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I used to own the K-70. It does take good 1080p video if you know what you are doing. Read and re-read the manual. Then play and experiment with its' video settings. In time, you too will get good 1080p video out of it.

Don't know what your background is, or what your expectations are. If you are expecting 4K video quality out of any Pentax digital camera, you aren't going to get it and you'll be disappointed. However, as far as 1080p goes, it's certainly good enough for most amateur videographers.
Thanks for that! My exectations aren't that high so it shouldn't be a problem! It's just that since getting the camera I've been too busy on stills and simply haven't gotten around yet to really look into it. But I will.
03-19-2019, 06:40 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

And boy, if I could have a scope (video feature) for stills...
Oh, hell yes.

Features derived from video functionality add a lot to stills photography.
People keep forgetting, CCD and CMOS sensor were first developed for Video, and then adapted for Stills.

AF that does ContinuousAF in video, nails tracking and EyeAF with ease in stills.

Yeah, but the main thing is: They also sell cameras. Something that Pentax doesn't. They want to, sure, but who's buying?
If Pentax (Ricoh) read the discussions here and suggested body types (like the NEX-VG style) for a mythical K-02,.... I'd be at the front of the line, cash in hand.
03-27-2019, 02:11 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
People keep forgetting, CCD and CMOS sensor were first developed for Video, and then adapted for Stills.
Right. Video is pretty much digital photography at 30 frames per second.
03-28-2019, 07:49 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
and 35mm film was originally developed for movies - "real photographers" used medium format or larger non-sproketed film - but I never got around to getting a Pentax film camera with movie capability.

Last edited by reh321; 03-28-2019 at 08:03 AM.
04-01-2019, 05:32 AM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
"real photographers" used medium format or larger non-sproketed film
Y'know, I keep telling the Stills Only Crowd, if they want a body that doesn't do video, buy a 645D - they're amazing value, the P67 and P645 lenses are great, and the ergonomics are spot on for serious Stills work.
Leave the FF and APSc bodies for those of us who use both sides of the camera
04-02-2019, 08:49 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
As for who's buying, I would make a guess that might be most of the members of the Pentax Forums...or perhaps that is just conventional wisdom gone bad? It may be that most are posting about cars, computers, wireless gadgets, M43 mirrorless, and other things non-Pentax...oh, and why they will not be buying a K-3.

why I won't buy a k3 (Warning: Satire Thread) - PentaxForums.com

Steve

(...will be buying another Pentax when the one I own shows signs of slowing down...Just checked...not today...)
If I had 2000 Euro burning in my pocket today, that need to be spent on a camera... Panasonic G9. Hands down. It's such a wonderful stills camera. What irked me with MFT before is gone. And the lenses are great. And, better yet, it does take great videos too.
04-02-2019, 09:04 AM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

If I had 2000 Euro burning in my pocket today, that need to be spent on a camera... Panasonic G9. Hands down. It's such a wonderful stills camera. What irked me with MFT before is gone. And the lenses are great. And, better yet, it does take great videos too.
I have a friend who shoots with the G9, stills-only, and who is quite taken with the camera's capabilities and form factor. She wants more pickles and larger sensor and is looking L-mount at present.

Steve