Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2019, 03:41 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Well, that's a helpful comment,....
Pentax have only offered video capabilities for the last 10 years, so it's still quite new and they haven't had much time to improve it.
No other company has been able to offer good stills and video performance...

07-19-2019, 04:25 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I understand video capability of any Pentax cameras is not great, but IMHO, it is still usable. Based on your video, it is hard to get a good focus as you are taking the video at an angle of the drawing table. Even if it is in focus (perhaps around the center), it is hard to see. However, if you take the video with the drawing at a vertical position, you will clearly see if it is in focus or not.
07-20-2019, 05:52 AM - 1 Like   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
I am not sure people buy pentax SLRs for video purposes. I bought a dedicated sony cam for that specific usage.
You mean, a video camera? I'd rather use my phone to shoot a video than use a dedicated (consumer) video camera, they tend to be quite terrible. At least my phone has a much larger sensor than those, let alone a faster lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Pentax have only offered video capabilities for the last 10 years, so it's still quite new and they haven't had much time to improve it.
No other company has been able to offer good stills and video performance...

@PiDicus Rex: Mh, but it does show the attitude of Pentaxians, which is what Ricoh also sees. That's why Pentax is so far behind the market that you'd wonder if they even try to sell cameras. That's why Pentax is pretty much irrelevant in terms of sales, when Sony, a much newer brand to the camera market, and a far less important one, is dominating the market so much that Canon and Nikon are wetting their pants and do everything they can to catch up... before all of their customers have left for Sony.
07-21-2019, 09:45 AM   #49
MJL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
You mean, a video camera? I'd rather use my phone to shoot a video than use a dedicated (consumer) video camera, they tend to be quite terrible. At least my phone has a much larger sensor than those, let alone a faster lens.
Totally disagree!

Have you tried the Sony FDR-AX or Panasonic HC-VX series? They have much better auto focus, audio input/options, optional long running battery and less prone to overheat.

A few phones can shot decent 4K video, but they still do not have physical aperture or optical zoom which are important in making a smart video. They do excel in low light conditions, I admit.

07-24-2019, 03:52 AM - 1 Like   #50
Veteran Member

@PiDicus Rex: Mh, but it does show the attitude of Pentaxians, which is what Ricoh also sees. That's why Pentax is so far behind the market that you'd wonder if they even try to sell cameras. That's why Pentax is pretty much irrelevant in terms of sales, when Sony, a much newer brand to the camera market, and a far less important one, is dominating the market so much that Canon and Nikon are wetting their pants and do everything they can to catch up... before all of their customers have left for Sony.
Spot on. The company is only listening to the feedback they already want to hear, from the anti-video "We ONLY Shoot Stills" crowd.

As for 'good' video camcorders, all the decent ones have 1" or bigger sensors now, and are in the AU$2000+ price bracket - and most don't match the KP for low light use.
08-12-2019, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJL Quote
Totally disagree!

Have you tried the Sony FDR-AX or Panasonic HC-VX series? They have much better auto focus, audio input/options, optional long running battery and less prone to overheat.

A few phones can shot decent 4K video, but they still do not have physical aperture or optical zoom which are important in making a smart video. They do excel in low light conditions, I admit.
I tried the Sony FDR-AX33 . Yes, it was everything you say it was. But it also had very poor picture indoors in lowlight due to the sensor size. I returned it for that reason.

I don't think phones "excel" in low-light conditions. They are hampered by their sensor size too. Nevertheless, they do manage much better video picture than DSLRs.
08-13-2019, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #52

QuoteOriginally posted by RobSpain Quote
... despite using SR they were shaky, and the auto focus was hopeless.
I don't use SR as I always shoot video from a tripod using manual focus, and I always use program mode to get the best video images.

08-13-2019, 08:31 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJL Quote
Totally disagree!

I'm not too impressed with those.

My phone has a 1/1.7 main sensor and a f1.6 aperture with OIS and 25mm eq. Then there is a 16mm eq lens and a 125mm eq lens with OIS, though their sensors aren't as great.
08-20-2019, 08:34 PM - 1 Like   #54
Veteran Member

That's why Pentax is so far behind the market that you'd wonder if they even try to sell cameras. That's why Pentax is pretty much irrelevant in terms of sales, when Sony, a much newer brand to the camera market, and a far less important one, is dominating the market so much that Canon and Nikon are wetting their pants and do everything they can to catch up... before all of their customers have left for Sony.
Pentax has a market niche offering a certain set of features at a low price at the cost of certain other features. Pentax/Ricoh has captured the part of the market that is excellent still photography quality and weather sealing, with higher quality bodies at the same price point as other cameras. If Pentax were to try and improve on video, those developments would have to be funded somehow and the only way to do that is put those hypothetical video improvements into their cameras and raise the price, which would lose them many current customers.

Sony is dominating because they focused on a completely different segment of the market: full frame mirrorless, and they did it when the major players (Canon, Nikon) were not in that segment at all. Sony had the funds to create a new niche for themselves without having to worry about current customers or as many competitors. They also manufacture their own sensors so that help increase the speed of their camera releases.
08-24-2019, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
It's a constantly shrinking niche though. And to be honest I'm not too impressed by the Pentax offerings, even if I were to be only interested in stills. I'd probably take a Panasonic G9 over a K-3 II or perhaps even a K-1. They may have a small edge in terms of image quality, especially under terrible conditions, but if I need a tough camera to take anywhere, weight and size plays a role. Tethering works quite well with the Panasonic too. It is fast as hell, giving me up to 60 frames per second at high resolutions. The electronic viewfinder is a dream to use... huge, sharp, it lets me judge focus much better than I could using an APS-C camera, perhaps even compared to a FF camera. Many of the features that make it a terrific camera for video also make it great for stills. If I need some weird angle, I can use my smartphone and control it that way. The AF system is quite nice as well.

It's not like great video functionality isn't already included in the parts that Pentax would be sourcing when making a new camera. Development costs wouldn't be so high.
08-24-2019, 12:28 PM - 2 Likes   #56
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's not like great video functionality isn't already included in the parts that Pentax would be sourcing when making a new camera. Development costs wouldn't be so high.
I've often thought that Pentax ought to collaborate with Black Magic since they're both specialty brands.
08-25-2019, 12:38 AM - 1 Like   #57
Pentaxian

It's a constantly shrinking niche though. And to be honest I'm not too impressed by the Pentax offerings, even if I were to be only interested in stills.
These conversations never go well with the Pentax purists, but I fully agree with this statement.

I don’t think any new Pentax camera has been released in 2019?!

All models essentially still feature the same video spec as 2012. It’s pretty incredible really that they haven’t done much of anything in this area.

There’s a lot of fear about improving video impacting negatively on stills capabilities, but I haven’t seen this in other brands. Improvements in video tracking AF etc do flow over into stills.

I’m starting to look for replacements for my current Pentax cameras, and sadly they don’t have anything on offer that fits my current day needs. Others have cameras that do both video and stills well.
08-25-2019, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I've often thought that Pentax ought to collaborate with Black Magic since they're both specialty brands.
That's something I'd love to see, and given Blackmagic's head office is 35minutes drive from me, I'd be happy to collaborate and test, but I'd end up nagging them to make a BRAW recorder for my Cion.

---------- Post added 25-08-19 at 11:07 PM ----------

All models essentially still feature the same video spec as 2012.
The only change for that is in the KP, with the higher Data Rate, but even then, it's about half what it should be.

Improvements in video tracking AF etc do flow over into stills.
Constant AF, as needed for Video, would make the AF in stills World Class
10-13-2019, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
That's something I'd love to see, and given Blackmagic's head office is 35minutes drive from me, I'd be happy to collaborate and test, but I'd end up nagging them to make a BRAW recorder for my Cion.

---------- Post added 25-08-19 at 11:07 PM ----------

The only change for that is in the KP, with the higher Data Rate, but even then, it's about half what it should be.

Constant AF, as needed for Video, would make the AF in stills World Class
Mh. I can still do without constant AF... mostly because my Panasonic forces me to (but I have seen photos where the PDAF pixels on sensor were visible, sooooo... I see why they don't do it). Also, using Pentax lenses I have little choice anyway. I'm more interested in really good focus assist features while MFing.

Have you guys had a look at the Sigma fp? That thing came out of nowhere, but boy those specs at that price point.

What I'd love to see would be having a M.2 slot for memory. A 1 TB drive with wear leveling capable of 3 GB/s writes can be had for about 140 Euro. Try to beat that with a SD card... Though having USB-C for external drives isn't too bad either, but... where to put the external drive? What if I want to charge and use the drive?

I think a big problem is that Pentax' core audience takes a particular type of photos. Landscapes, nature, ... stuff that doesn't get paid. Which I guess is a result of the cameras, too. Stuff, where video makes less sense.
10-13-2019, 10:59 AM - 2 Likes   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Disclaimer: I don’t currently do much video! Maybe I would if it was better at data rate and perceived softness but that's moot right now.

I don’t know whether constant AF would be a good thing or not. Just look at some of the tog vloggers out there, for example Tony Northrup. I quite enjoy his videos (don’t shoot me!) but in his latest one on the new N*kon Z50, the constant focus shifting that his camera is doing is really distracting; certainly not ‘cinematic’. I’d be much more interested in the maintenance of focus peaking during recording so that you could flexibly vary focus as you want it, not how the camera wants it.