Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
04-24-2019, 09:26 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
First tests with my Penta-sonic setup

Panasonic GH5 and DA*300. Using a Novoflex adapter. My intentions are to start a Youtube channel, and use my Pentax glass on this body. Pentax DLI90's also work in this GH5 body.

Here's some first test 4k video shot with it while I learn how to use the body. Coming from 10yrs of Pentax bodies, this is new to me. So far, I am loving the combo for video.

This redwing blackbird was hand held, right from the camera. No editing.

This mouse was shot hand held, but I attempted to stabilize it in Shotcut video editor. It made some of the frames look a little jumpy. Open for suggestions on video editing software that doesn't have a monthly charge and can handle 4K.

This squirrel was shot using a tripod. There was a hawk flying over and the squirrel knew it.

04-28-2019, 08:40 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

A GH4 wearing K/KM/KA primes, is one of my favorite small camera set-ups for 4K shooting of drama.

The GH4, GH5, G7, G85 and G9 can all use the Pentax spec battery, but the Panasonic version doesn't seat all the way down in a Pentax, due to a mechanical keyway.

Have a look deep in the manual, there's a curves adjustment built in to nearly every Panasonic mirrorless, that can be used to preserve highlights or expand shadows independent of each other.

The Panasonics output their best quality footage when paired with an external recorder, such as an Atomos Shogun, especially if used with the optional SDI output grip.

For and NLE, Resolve is a good choice.
04-29-2019, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank you for the info in both posts.

I'm totally fine with not being able to use the Panasonic batteries in the Pentax. I did notice that the Panasonic battery wouldn't seat. I have a good amount of Pentax batteries, so it works out.

Video is a new realm for me, so I have alot to learn as far as getting a setup together and actually shooting the video. I've got experience with Sony Vegas Pro 9 editing wedding videos a few years back, just never shot video myself.

I got the GH5 kit with the Panasonic 8-18mm lens. I want have a vlogging setup for commentary or whatever, as well as shooting wildlife. If it's anything like my Pentax equipment, i'll have a setup for shooting everything in the end.
07-03-2019, 11:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Have a look at an Atomos or BMD external recorder once you build up experience with the Pany - Being able to record to the much higher spec ProRes CoDec keeps a lot more detail then the onboard h.264 based recordings.