Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 38 Likes Search this Thread
10-24-2019, 03:48 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The sound aspect is almost as complex as the visual aspect. If there are going to be voices involved (which there usually aren't with me!) or sound that needs to be not influenced by camera noises then I'll use a lavalier coupled to an old iPod Touch using a PCM recorder app outputting WAV files.

10-30-2019, 09:56 PM - 3 Likes   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Long story aside, a friend visiting, who's a professional actor,......
I feel your pain,...

Reading through, all three cameras are okay, having the lighting is fabulous, but for what you're trying to do, the solutions are a little different.

First up, most actors, once lit, just do self-tapes with their phone and let their agent deal with it.

If the agent does want it recorded properly, the camera and lighting is far less important then clear sound, and all three cameras mentioned will do the job.

Grab a Rode Lav and record the sound to their phone, then in post just sync the sound to that of the camera. I've used multiples of these on location on web series and feature film productions, and they're more then adequate for 90% of production.

https://www.adorama.com/rdslplus.html?

If you get more gigs, then think about adding a directional mic on a boom stand - Rode NTG-2 is very widely used - and an good external recorder - I use a Tascam DR-70D,.. the Zoom H4n is a good choice, as is the Tascam DR-100, or the Zoom H1 stuck on the end of a boom arm.

---------- Post added 31-10-19 at 03:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I've been seeing references to Rode mics and wondering about them.
Aussie brand, make good quality products at the price points they're sold at,.. sort of like Pentax do

---------- Post added 31-10-19 at 04:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yeah, look, real film making is done with manual exposure and manual focus.
SECONDED !!

Good choices for "My First Pentax Video Lens Kit" - any of the SMC M/K/KA 50mm's, f 1.2 thru f 2.0, the 24mm f2.8 or 28mm, the 85mm f 2 or 135mm f 2.8.

They will all give you more then 180 degrees barrel rotation, making focus a lot easier to hit manually.

If you've only got DA or D-FA, use AF to get the shot focused, then turn off AF and press record.

Clackers - Which 'burbs ya based in ? - Thought myself and one other guy were the only people in Melbs using Pentax for Video

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 10-30-2019 at 10:08 PM.
10-31-2019, 03:12 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Clackers - Which 'burbs ya based in ? - Thought myself and one other guy were the only people in Melbs using Pentax for Video
Heidelberg area. I'm a stills guy, PDR. Only fooled around with video over the years.
10-31-2019, 03:19 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Veteran Member

And the notification email listed another suburb

I'm out west, past the edge of civilization, almost far enough to commute to Ballarat in the same time it takes to get to the CBD.
Mostly video, and the other guy doing video on Pentax is further east then I am west.

We're a rare bunch, me even more so, my Pentax glass is usually in front of one of two AJA Cion's here in Oz.

10-31-2019, 04:25 AM - 3 Likes   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I feel your pain,...Reading through, all three cameras are okay, having the lighting is fabulous, but for what you're trying to do, the solutions are a little different.First up, most actors, once lit, just do self-tapes with their phone and let their agent deal with it.If the agent does want it recorded properly, the camera and lighting is far less important then clear sound, and all three cameras mentioned will do the job.Grab a Rode Lav and record the sound to their phone, then in post just sync the sound to that of the camera. I've used multiples of these on location on web series and feature film productions, and they're more then adequate for 90% of production.https://www.adorama.com/rdslplus.html?If you get more gigs, then think about adding a directional mic on a boom stand - Rode NTG-2 is very widely used - and an good external recorder - I use a Tascam DR-70D,.. the Zoom H4n is a good choice, as is the Tascam DR-100, or the Zoom H1 stuck on the end of a boom arm.

Thanks, and yes, all you write meshes with what he was saying for actors doing these first things on their phones etc. for their agents. I, knowing nothing, am thinking we need a much higher production value, whatever that is, but audio, that was his biggest stickler. At first, I was coming through too clear compared to him, and it was all about me standing closer to the camera to operate it versus the built in mics versus his position. I ultimately grabbed the Sony stereo mic for my a6000 thinking I'll get more general bang for the buck out of it. Now we have a new APS-C flagship coming, I have a hunch I'll be looking for something like the Rode mic if this becomes more regular,
10-31-2019, 02:51 PM - 1 Like   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
And the notification email listed another suburb
Yeah, I edited so as not to reveal everything to the Net … obviously it's in the Heidelberg area. My wife and I put on Kevlar jackets to go to Northland Shopping Centre.

We're a rare bunch, me even more so, my Pentax glass is usually in front of one of two AJA Cion's here in Oz.
Yes, Pentax and Cion, you're quite the patron saint of Lost Causes. But you can do 120fps 4k, with beautiful SMC renderings!
11-01-2019, 12:28 AM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

Kevlar? I'd be looking for something stronger

The 120fps DCI 4K requires a fast PC, AJA Kona4 Quad PCIe card, NVMe Raid Array and a stack of spare hard drives to offload to.
Basically adds up to a second camera ready to shoot
I do Prores on Shogun, and Raw on MacMini.

12-18-2019, 04:15 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kevlar? I'd be looking for something stronger

The 120fps DCI 4K requires a fast PC, AJA Kona4 Quad PCIe card, NVMe Raid Array and a stack of spare hard drives to offload to.
Basically adds up to a second camera ready to shoot
I do Prores on Shogun, and Raw on MacMini.
I did look up that camera. We don’t have that at Finland, don’t think that anywhere in EU. When one put 4000€ A lot of options appear. Then it is up to if some fancy snall dslr type or then real video cam. Black magick seems easy to find besides of the panasonycanonjvc..
12-27-2019, 01:28 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
did look up that camera. We don’t have that at Finland, don’t think that anywhere in EU.
There are several Cion owners across the EU, but I don't think we have one in Finland. Germany is probably the closest.
4000 Euro does open a lot of options, but it can actually be gotten for about half that, direct from the manufacturer, if you know the right person to ask
It's real advantage, is to shoot on the shoulder properly, and to expose the same as shooting on 35mm Film stock like the Kodak 250D or 500T, where the film stock has slightly less dynamic range then the Cion - 10 stops for film, 12 for Cion.
When used properly, the only camera that looks more like 'Shot on film' is the Arri Alexa.

It has none of the downsides of all DSLR/Mirrorless cameras, which all suffer from Rolling Shutter and bad ergonomics for video/cinema work, and are limited by the internal h264 CoDec, which sucks badly for cinema and high end advertising work.
12-27-2019, 02:11 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

There are several Cion owners across the EU, but I don't think we have one in Finland. Germany is probably the closest.
4000 Euro does open a lot of options, but it can actually be gotten for about half that, direct from the manufacturer, if you know the right person to ask
It's real advantage, is to shoot on the shoulder properly, and to expose the same as shooting on 35mm Film stock like the Kodak 250D or 500T, where the film stock has slightly less dynamic range then the Cion - 10 stops for film, 12 for Cion.
When used properly, the only camera that looks more like 'Shot on film' is the Arri Alexa.

It has none of the downsides of all DSLR/Mirrorless cameras, which all suffer from Rolling Shutter and bad ergonomics for video/cinema work, and are limited by the internal h264 CoDec, which sucks badly for cinema and high end advertising work.
2000€ sounds too good to be true! I have used my K-1 for video and oly E5 MII. Both about the same while K-1 is IMO even slightly better. Oly material after some PP is good, as is K-1. There is just that they have limitations and I have been thinking of getting proper video gear to get what I’m missing. But then problem arrive. What will I get for the money then. is it just gettig there for 1-2000€ and then thinking that I should have gone for better. When you put 2000, options are panasonic (small one or new big one(not the -h-)) and sony, or even Oly O-EM1 mk 2. Not sure If I want to get BMPCC.

Or

Proper video cam.

For vlog and small projects what I have done this kind of camera has been okay, but one thing bugging is limited recording time with K-1. And also with Oly you get decent file, but with K-1 you can fiddle with it even more in post. I know that with those cameras that I have listed I will get that improvement that I’m after. But the original question remains. It might be nice to be able to shoot pictures too, but I have my Pentax for that. If we talk image quality or even taking pictures with Oly, I’d rather use a ’real camera’, which I have. And when you shoot video, you don’t really take pictures with same camera at the same time. At least I don’t..
01-01-2020, 11:08 AM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

Right now, for 2000euro and under, there's a lot of choice in the Camcorder market, with some of the current Sony's having a 1 inch sensor behind a fixed lens.
Panasonic has some good units too, and both those companies are well ahead of everyone else, though there a couple of semi-pro Canon's catching up too.

What your filming should determine what sort of camera gets bought - for Webseries, sports TV, sport live streams, adverts, films, drama, music videos,... that's what I pull my Cion out for.
For Behind-Scenes, I still reach for my K-01's, and the DA35 and DA40XS are perfect for that use, and I still pull the JVC HD7 camcorder out when there's enough light to hook up to my HDMI-to-RTSP boxes for live streams, and several HikVision security cameras for streaming Drag Racing etc,. and the GoPros when the space is tight, like putting a camera on the dashboard of my '66 Valiant.

The Cion has a similar size sensor to the K-01, so the framing and DoF is similar.

I'd still love a Sony VG-900E for music videos and behind-scenes, and a Canon XL-H1 or H1s for live streams needing to zoom in on the action.

But it's all about matching the camera to the right job.
01-03-2020, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

I have GoPro for close up and funky stuff like where it is almost only way to do it. Not so crazy about image quality, but it get ’job’ done. Mostly my Oly sit out from shooting, unless I do video and photography in same event.

I really like Dof with my K-1 with FA 31 DA*55 and I use DFA 70-200 also sometimes. Mostly DFA 15-30, which work well with Oly too.

I need to film my osn performances and I’m thinking of making some sort of performance for film. Sometimes I need to let camera running. Especially for performances. And there I have a problem with my K-1 and because of hard lights at the stage, my oly is almost unusable. I want better DR. Narrow Dof is not that needed for most of the time.

I’d love to use my existing lenses for what I’m going to get next. Don’t really need AF for what I do now.

So far Panasonic with their S1 has really got my attention with it’s specs, and the fact that price is going down.

Going to have to have a look of what camcorders could offer for me. I use tripod (and I have a proper one with good video head)most of the time for video.