Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-24-2019, 07:33 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Recommendations for an HDMI monitor under 250

Currently I am looking at a HDMI monitor for my K-1 and Panasonic GX-85.

I want an external monitor to more easily see my previews and shoot video. I would like it to be under $250

I am looking at the Feelworld F6 plus right now:

amazon.com : Feelworld F6 Plus, 5.5 inch Touch Screen On-Camera Field Monitor, 3D LUT 1920x1080 with 4K HDMI Input/Loop Output/DC Output : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

10-24-2019, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't speak to that particular model, but I did buy a Feelworld FW759 7" HDMI monitor back in May 2016 and I've had zero issues with it since

I bought it primarily to shoot ice hockey videos with my Panasonic HC-X900M camcorder. Much easier to follow the puck on the monitor than on the small built in screen.

I also use it with my K5 when doing my snowflake macro shots.

It's been to well over a 100 hockey games, and been outside for hours on end in sub-zero temperatures and is still going strong.

I can't fault its reliability. Whether the newer models are as good I can't say.

Fred
10-24-2019, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Below are paths to some choices for field monitors that accept an HDMI signal that are found at B and H. One is a FeelWorld item. You may want to check with the seller prior to buying any of them, just to make sure that the HDMI output your camera provides will be accepted by the device. The Pentax K-1 HDMI output terminal socket is HDMI Type D.

Lilliput A7S 7" Full HD Monitor with 4K Support A7S-B

Lilliput A7S 7" Full HD Monitor with 4K Support A7S B&H

FeelWorld 5.7" Full HD HDMI On-Camera Monitor with 4K

Aputure VS-2 FineHD 7" Field Monitor VS-2HD B&H Photo

Last edited by C_Jones; 10-24-2019 at 03:17 PM.
10-24-2019, 06:21 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
just to make sure that the HDMI output your camera provides will be accepted by the device.
Most field monitors support at minimum HDMI 1.4 and should work fine from that perspective for the K-1. Output HDMI resolution for Pentax cameras is the same as for the rear display and display resolution (pixel dimensions) is negotiated between the display and source device. What works for the Panasonic will work for the K-1.

The Pentax K-1 HDMI output terminal socket is HDMI Type D
Cables with Type D male are readily available and are not an item to scrimp on. That said, I had nothing but trouble connecting my K-3 to an external display despite cables from a reputable maker. Short story is the cables were defective. If connecting does not work, cabling might be the culprit.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-24-2019 at 06:35 PM.
10-30-2019, 09:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

All the above are pretty good choices, I'd add the option of a secondhand SmallHD DP4, it's a little smaller and older, but can be optioned with an eye piece, so it can function as an EVF when the camera is on a shoulder rig.

One thing Steve missed - the Pentax implementation of HDMI, when you press record on the camera, it changes the frame rate and frame size on the HDMI output.
I found it out testing a mates K-3 with my Atomos Shogun, finding the output is virtually un-useable for external recording. It's also only in NTSC frame rates, even when the camera is recording to 24 or 25 fps.
05-27-2020, 09:52 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Below are paths to some choices for field monitors that accept an HDMI signal that are found at B and H. One is a FeelWorld item. You may want to check with the seller prior to buying any of them, just to make sure that the HDMI output your camera provides will be accepted by the device. The Pentax K-1 HDMI output terminal socket is HDMI Type D.

Lilliput A7S 7" Full HD Monitor with 4K Support A7S-B

Lilliput A7S 7" Full HD Monitor with 4K Support A7S B&H

FeelWorld 5.7" Full HD HDMI On-Camera Monitor with 4K

Aputure VS-2 FineHD 7" Field Monitor VS-2HD B&H Photo
Hello,
I want a monitor for my K1, too. I don’t have clue what a HDMI D chord is. Do I buy an adapter for that, or do
I buy with type D output chord only monitor? Thank you.
05-27-2020, 12:11 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
I don’t have clue what a HDMI D chord is.
The HDMI D male connector is what fits your K-1. The other end of the cable should be whatever fits your field monitor (usually the standard HDMI A male connector).

HDMI - Wikipedia

Steve

05-28-2020, 07:05 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The HDMI D male connector is what fits your K-1. The other end of the cable should be whatever fits your field monitor (usually the standard HDMI A male connector).

HDMI - Wikipedia

Steve
Thank you, Steve. That’s very helpful.