Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2019, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Microphone for KP

looking for a stereo mic to improve audio for my KP are the camera powered mics pretty much standard at 2V input power...

11-09-2019, 07:05 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lots of Mics out there. Personally I would avoid the camera powered mics in favor of mics with their own power. Rode makes a nice stereo mic that will work well. I think a better option is something like the Rode video mic pro which is dual mono but very directional. Depends upon your application. Stereo mics are good for immersive nature walks etc. the directional mics are best for interviews, YouTube content and music. One feature to look for is a +/-dB mode for different sound environments. Rode mics have nice accessories like boom, extension cords and adapters for your iPhone.

Last edited by Pentax Syntax; 11-09-2019 at 07:45 AM.
12-04-2019, 07:39 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I actually prefer using a wearable/mountable mic pre-amp with it's own gain control that you would plug the mic into and then plug the pre-amp into the camera.
I found the sound quality to be much better (even on a no name $10 microphone) than a non powered or powered mic alone attached directly to the camera.
01-31-2020, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

I wouldn't want to run anything powered by the camera outside of Phantom Power, there's too much possibility of drawing more power then non-professional cameras can provide, and at this level, most will add signal noise to the sound.

The Rode Video Mic is a safe choice for most DSLR/MILC uses, is powered by it's own battery, and has decent shock mounting, removing noise from the operator handling the camera.

For lapels, starting out, the Rode Smart-Lav, which plugs in to and records to a phone, is also a good choice, and the sound files are easily re-synced later.

02-01-2020, 10:47 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
I actually prefer using a wearable/mountable mic pre-amp with it's own gain control that you would plug the mic into and then plug the pre-amp into the camera.
As one who has worked with microphones in broadcasting for fifty years I will second Kobie. Inexpensive microphone mixers for DSLRs start at about $50, but if you want a good brand name mixer that will last and not disappoint the Marantz PMD-602A is about $100, It is battery powered (4xAA), has two combo XLR and 1/8" mike/line inputs, has phantom power and selectable limiters, and can mount to the camera's tripod thread or between the camera and a tripod. I have worked with Marantz equipment in radio stations for decades and the PMD-602A is a quality mixer.
02-01-2020, 11:24 AM - 1 Like   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
have you looked here yet

Microphones - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

there is a review of the robe

Rode VideoMic Pro shotgun reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
02-04-2020, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Marantz is an odd company - some of the stuff they made has a, almost deliberately cheap n cheerful look to it, while the circuitry inside is pretty much always well designed and low-noise, yet wonderfully simple, especially in the days of analog recording.

There are several brands of mixer that function the same as the PMD-602, I'd add the Beachtek products to the same list, just do make sure you don't use the right channel jack input, as the main output, like one camera Op I worked with in November did - I still don't know how we were getting any audio out of that set up

If you want the same sort of PreAmp layout to mount under a camera on the Tripod, the Tascam DR-70D is no taller then the Pre Amp's, but is a four input device, that can swap between external mics and it's own high quality mics.
02-07-2020, 09:21 PM   #8
Forum Member

If you are willing to spend a bit more, for a street price under $200.00 there is the Tascam DR-60DMKII, which combines a 4-channel SD card audio recorder with a 4-channel mixer. The 2 main inputs are switchable line/mic/phantom, and the mixer output can be fed to the camera mike input. It is designed specifically for use with DSLRs.

02-15-2020, 08:36 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dale H. Cook Quote
for a street price under $200.00 there is the Tascam DR-60DMKII
The main difference between the DR-60D Mk2, and the DR-70D, is height - the 70 is half the height, but is wider.

The main difference between the Mk1 and Mk2 versions of the DR-60D, is the tactile response from the input level knobs - on the Mk1 they 'click' into postions, and on the Mk2 they're just regular knobs that turn to any position - customers hated the Mk1 knobs.

Both versions of the DR-60D, and the DR-70D, are all excellent recorders, with the DR-701D being the next step beyond for four channel recorders.