Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
05-07-2020, 04:41 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
My cynicism was in vain.
Look at it this way, your cynicism gave you an unexpected pleasant surprise. Who doesn't like nice surprises?

05-12-2020, 09:33 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Closing the loop...My K-3 formats SDXC to exFAT, SDHC to FAT 32, and SD to FAT 16. My cynicism was in vain.
What's that saying? - "You don't know, what you don't know."

Now you know that you didn't know something, found out by testing and observation.

You are now a Scientist.

Sidestepping - the use of SD-XC cards by Pentax, is also one of the reasons the data rate for video doesn't make sense - it's set at 19 to 21 mBits for most Pentax bodies, and about 24 for the KP, but SD-XC cards and controllers can support much higher data rates - the original BMD Pocket Camera recorded HD footage, running the same sort of card and controllers at over 80 Mega Bits, the same year the K-01 was released.

There is absolutely no reason why Pentax couldn't have set the data rate much higher, and preserved the quality of the colour science - Higher Data Rate is Less Compression, so less work for the onboard image processor.

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 05-12-2020 at 09:40 PM.
05-19-2020, 09:44 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Look at it this way, your cynicism gave you an unexpected pleasant surprise. Who doesn't like nice surprises?
While it's nice that the cameras format cards in the appropriate file system, they still can't record more than 30 minutes of video, or 4GB, whichever is less.

I have a 512GB SDXC card bought on black friday. My Lumix GX85 can record about 2h45min of 4K video on it in a single uninterrupted take using the AC power adapter.
I actually use this to capture the best moment of my music practice sessions.
05-23-2020, 05:07 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
While it's nice that the cameras format cards in the appropriate file system, they still can't record more than 30 minutes of video, or 4GB, whichever is less.
The only way that's going to change, is for Pentax to be getting feedback asking for changes to video features, on every dang peice of social media and press release they do.
I got sick of feeling like I was the only one saying what needed to be changed, and getting shouted down by the Still Only crowd.
if we want improvements in the video side of the firmware, we all need to be vocal.

05-23-2020, 07:56 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
The only way that's going to change, is for Pentax to be getting feedback asking for changes to video features, on every dang peice of social media and press release they do.
I got sick of feeling like I was the only one saying what needed to be changed, and getting shouted down by the Still Only crowd.
if we want improvements in the video side of the firmware, we all need to be vocal.
No shout down here...but having the European customers shoulder the import duty is the only way this is going to happen. Canon and Nikon impose a similar per-clip limitation, only at 29'59". Of course you already know these things (per above). Canon offers the clever advice of waiting until the exact moment and hitting the button again. Clever advice from this quarter is to have two cameras (they are cheap, right?) with the second on a timed delay to start just in advance as the other is finishing.

Other stuff, like clean HDMI out or higher frame rates might be an easier sell unless it means greater expense to manufacture.

P.S. As for congratulations on becoming a scientist...another life, another time...don't do that anymore. There was more money in software dev.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-23-2020 at 08:15 PM.
05-28-2020, 07:34 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Other stuff, like clean HDMI out or higher frame rates might be an easier sell unless it means greater expense to manufacture.
That's the thing with all the fixes needed in video, they could all be implemented at nearly Zero expense, as they're all about coding decent firmware in the first place, or writing better code in firmware releases.

Focus Peaking on the LCD during Recording - Coding in the display library. (same goes with overlays for waveform, etc)
Return of true IBIS in Video - Copying the code from the K-5, or the code from IBIS in Live View Stills on every body, and pasting it in to the video libraries, over the MovieSR code.
Clean Feed Recordable HDMI - Altering the settings in the HDMI controller to output the same frame rate and format as it written to the SD card.
Upping the Data Rate to minimum 50mBits in HD video - Coding new parameters for the image processor to compress less (this one will actually reduce processing overhead.)

This is why the anti-video attitude of many on this forum makes no sense to me, same goes with the "It will make my camera more expensive" argument. It's bullshit, always has been.