Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2020, 10:07 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is there an option to span multiple files for longer videos?

Hoping that since the last time I checked, this might have been added (if possible) via firmware update..

Most cameras cannot record larger than 4GB per file, but they automatically roll to the next file if necessary for "continuous" shooting. Right now I have to constantly monitor the remaining time in order to stop the camera and restart to a new file. Would be awesome if the K-1, K-01, etc be updated to do this automatically.

For true films, a scene would rarely be longer than the limit. But for this day of video blogging and how to videos, one shot could be quite lengthy.

Any ideas on remedying this? A good alternate camera option if not? Or does it exist and I've missed it?

03-30-2020, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by klkitchens Quote
Any ideas on remedying this? A good alternate camera option if not? Or does it exist and I've missed it?
There are none available in-camera, though something might be possible with an external intervalometer if a short break is acceptable. FWIW, the time limit is present in all still cameras having video as a feature due to some fine points of import duty regulations into the EU. If you want to do long takes, a true video camera is your best option.

Addendum: If you were shooting 35mm film, the limit would be about 33 minutes from a 1,200 foot roll. Most "single long take" productions are actually filmed with more than one camera and edited to make is look like a single long take.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-30-2020 at 12:31 PM.
03-30-2020, 01:24 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think the limit is the file system of the SD-card.

Last edited by bwgv001; 03-30-2020 at 01:24 PM. Reason: typo
03-30-2020, 02:18 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bwgv001 Quote
I think the limit is the file system of the SD-card.
There are 2 reasons for the 30 minute limit. One is the FAT-32 file system limit of 4 GB. The other being EU tax issues. Canon has overcome the file size limit but Pentax has not.

03-31-2020, 02:03 AM   #5

I always thought the limit had something to do with preventing overheating inside the camera. Maybe that is wrong or only applies to certain brands.

The EU reason seems to be a very valid reason. :-)
04-04-2020, 05:36 PM   #6
PDL
Pentaxian

On SDXC SD cards the file system is default ex-Fat. Below is a old site (2006) that does a reasonable listing of the differences. On a modern DSLR and perhaps Mirrorless cameras a limit is going to be heat. Running the sensor full time is going to raise the temperature very high and the sensors ability to record will be compromised. If you look at the RED, Canon and Sony video cameras they have "active" internal cooling with large heat sinks.

FAT32 vs. NTFS vs. exFAT ? Difference Between Three File Systems
04-04-2020, 06:42 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
On SDXC SD cards the file system is default ex-Fat...
The default is exFAT, but they may be formatted to FAT32. I don't have any SDXC cards to check with, but it would not surprise me if our Pentax cameras were to format them to FAT32.

Steve

04-04-2020, 08:16 PM   #8
PDL
Pentaxian

On my K-10D with a 32GB card is formatted internally as ex-FAT, otherwise the card would not be seen as a 32GB card. I believe that all Pentax cameras with the latest firmware upgrades will internally format using ex-FAT. My son has the *ist Ds and it was able to write to a 32GB card before I gave it to him, so ex-FAT is common place in the Pentax line as far as I know.
04-04-2020, 11:34 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

On my K-10D with a 32GB card is formatted internally as ex-FAT, otherwise the card would not be seen as a 32GB card.
Hmmmm...exFAT did not exist when the K10D was released and unless there was a secret firmware update, that camera was spec'ed to use SD (2GB max)* or SDHC cards (>2GB min -- 32GB max capacity). (Note that the upper limit for partition size for FAT 32 is about 16TB though Windows will only format to 32GB.) The first model to support SDHC was the *ist DS with firmware v2.01. The first model to support SDXC was the K-5 with firmware v1.02.

I use a pair of SDHC 32GB cards on my K-3 and with in-camera format, they report as FAT32. The same is true if formatted with the SD Assoc format utility. I don't have any notion of whether the camera will format SDXC to exFAT. Wikipedia says the SDXC cards may be formatted to FAT32 with the ultimate arbitrar being the reading device. I have been tempted to do a card upgrade and may yet find out.

Consumers - SD Association

SD, SDHC, SDXC and SDUC Card Capacity Choices - SD Association

Steve

* I still have the SD 2GB card that came with my K10D in 2007.
04-05-2020, 06:00 PM   #10
PDL
Pentaxian

I have all the latest firmware updates loaded on my K-10D, K-20D and K-3II. They all read and write to a 32GB card. I remember the last update for my old *ist Ds, it stated in the notes that it was full capable of using SDHC cards. I even shot a Pentax day series with my *ist Ds, K-10D and K-20D with the same Lexar 32GB SDHC card. My newest laptop has a SDXC card reader so at least I can populate my SSD's that I use for in-field backups. (Depending of course if I want to lug a 15" laptop around)

I just took out one of my K-3II cards and put it into the computer. I only format my cards in camera - never out of camera. It is formatted as FAT32 - so I appear to be incorrect. I do not own a SDSX card so I can not check on a larger capacity card. All of 128GB cards (micro SD) are in the phone(s) and they have been taken over by Android, heaven knows what format they are now.
04-05-2020, 08:15 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I do not own a SDSX card so I can not check on a larger capacity card.
On a whim, I ordered two 64 GB SDXC cards last night. In a few days we shall see!

Steve
04-05-2020, 10:42 PM - 1 Like   #12
PDL
Pentaxian

When I go to my fantasy world, like winning the lottery, I think that the purchase of two 1TB SD cards for the K-3II would be nice.
I wonder how many batteries I would have to go through while filling them up.
05-07-2020, 05:48 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
There are 2 reasons for the 30 minute limit. One is the FAT-32 file system limit of 4 GB. The other being EU tax issues. Canon has overcome the file size limit but Pentax has not.
Not Canon, not Nikon, not Pentax,.... The SD Card Consortium solved it.

SD - Fat 16.
SD-HC - Fat 32
SD-XC - ExFat.

If you use an SD-XC card in ANY camera, the only reason to have short files, is the EU Taxation, where a 'Stills' camera and a 'Video' camera get taxed differently.

Canon, like a lot of video camera manufacturers, use region Specific firmware on many models, so those sold outside of the EU will be ignoring the EU limitation.
The easy way to do that, while making sure the user can't loose a whole card's worth of recording, is to split the files, so the camera writes video from the sensor to a buffer, and the buffer is big enough to soak up any stops and starts at the card.

---------- Post added 07-05-20 at 10:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The default is exFAT, but they may be formatted to FAT32. I don't have any SDXC cards to check with, but it would not surprise me if our Pentax cameras were to format them to FAT32.

Steve
I only use SD-XC, the Pentax's have had SD-XC controllers as far back as the K-01 / K-30 release, and they format to ExFat.
05-07-2020, 12:38 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
I only use SD-XC, the Pentax's have had SD-XC controllers as far back as the K-01 / K-30 release, and they format to ExFat.
I finally took advantage of the recent low card prices and upgraded a few weeks ago to 64GB SD-XC cards for my K-3. As you note, the camera formats them to exFAT with the 32GB SD-HC formatted to FAT 32. My cynicism was in vain.

Steve
05-07-2020, 12:42 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
On a whim, I ordered two 64 GB SDXC cards last night. In a few days we shall see!

Steve
Closing the loop...My K-3 formats SDXC to exFAT, SDHC to FAT 32, and SD to FAT 16. My cynicism was in vain.

Steve