Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2020, 08:03 AM   #1

Can you use the K3 nto Stream Video

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Is it possible to use a K3 to live stream video for Youtube?

Thanks,

Jim Fellows

05-28-2020, 08:42 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A good place to start might be the YouTube requirements. The links on this page might be helpful.

How to Live Stream On YouTube - How YouTube Works

As for the K-3...I sincerely doubt it will work, but am interested in reading the responses.

Steve
05-29-2020, 10:47 AM   #3

Original Poster
I played around with it last night with no luck. I just bought a used Cannon camcorder from KEH to see if that works better.

Jim
06-18-2020, 05:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jimfellows Quote
Is it possible to use a K3 to live stream video for Youtube?

Not easily, and not while recording.
You will need an external box that takes the HDMI output and encodes it to RTSP, which you then use the web console of that box to add in your url and Stream Key.

This is the same for all except the very latest generation of DSLR's and Mirrorless cameras. Some of the Sony's and the latest firmware for some of the Canon's and Panasonics will use the cameras internal WiFi to stream from, but the Sony's will definitely be limited to 720p.

The following is the same for any camera with HDMI output,...

I use these two types of HDMI encoders with varied camcorders, my Cion and the HDMI out of the Atomos Shogun.

The 'generic' one that is found under a ton of different brand names,..
H.264 LAN HDMI Video Encoder HTTP RTSP RTMP UDP to IPTV Live Stream Streaming | eBay

And the FMUser FBE200, which has the advantage of some of the best after sale service by the manufacturer,.. bug reports result in firmware fixes in under Seven days...
FMUSER FBE200 Encoder Freeshipping Buy It now H.264 HDMI HD IPTV Video Encoder Lan Interface Support HLS M3U8 ffmpeg VLC, HTTP RTSP RTMP RTMPS UDP ONVIF for Youtube, Facebook, Wowza Live Streaming-DTV Front End Equipment-FMUSER FM/TV Broadcast One-St

Both are available with WiFi option, or for the generic one, with Wifi, battery, and 4G connectivity versions.

Now, the specific problems related to Pentax, because Pentax refuses to get off their butts and fix the video firmware.
First you will need to turn off all the overlays on the LCD, as they come through on the HDMI output.
Next, you need to turn off the power saving, because you can't simply record on the camera to keep the camera shutting off.
Hitting record will swap the HDMI output from 1080p30 to 720p60 Regardless Of What Frame Size or Frame Rate You Have The Camera Set To.

So, it's not easy, but it can be done.

Unless, like me, you have a K-01, where plugging in the HDMI switches the camera to Playback Mode

Under the subheading of "Here's One I Prepared Earlier"
This is from Calder Park in Melbourne, several years ago. The three trackside cameras are HikVision IP based security cameras. The camera up inside the Control Booth is my AJA Cion, wearing Pentax 50 F2, output through the HDMI to IP Encoder and then in to a PC running vMix and streamed live to Youtube and Facebook.
The link will take you to near the end of the stream, just before the Jet Drag Cars run.

https://youtu.be/cFuWzrnymzM?t=25683

And the direct-from-camera version, rather then the stream.

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 06-18-2020 at 05:43 AM.