Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-16-2020, 04:40 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Using the K3 as an audio recorder for an external mic?

I'm thinking about buying a half decent mic to record the cool sounds in the field behind our rural property (like a Sennheiser MKE 600.) Obviously a dedicated sound card recorder would be better, but wondering how a K3 would do?

06-16-2020, 05:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I'm thinking about buying a half decent mic
You are 80% of the way there, the microphone is easily the most important component.
record the cool sounds in the field behind our rural property
But no images or video, not even with a remote trigger or intervalometer? For starters, I don't think the K-3 will record audio without recording video at the same time. If you have no need for video, use a laptop and you won't run into the same time restrictions as your K-3 (25 minutes). The analog to digital convertors in a laptop won't be any worse than what is in the K-3 and might be a lot better. Either way, you want to manually set recording levels and to do that with a K-3 requires some menu diving, as opposed to doing it more precisely in an interactive fashion with a laptop.
06-16-2020, 05:24 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You would probably better off just recording the sound on an iphone or getting a small audio recording device. A separate sound device is the best way to do sound for video, that mike may be a little overkill for audio in a camera.
06-16-2020, 05:26 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-3 is ok but not great. It’s better than some other DSLRs. The Analog to Digital converter is the weak link and even an iPhone may be better for your purposes. You will probably need an adapter to go into iPhone. Most hot shoe mics will go directly into the K-3.

06-16-2020, 05:53 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A dedicated recorder like a Zoom or Tascam is always going to be better than any camera's little inbuilt recorder.

That's why for movies and commercials you record separately and use a clapper board to sync the video and audio when lining up the clips in editing.

Even if you were to plug a microphone into a camera, it's best to go through an amp first.
06-16-2020, 06:01 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
You would probably better off just recording the sound on an iphone or getting a small audio recording device. A separate sound device is the best way to do sound for video, that mike may be a little overkill for audio in a camera.
Thanks! Yeah, I've been reading that an external recorder is the way to go. Any recommendations? I'd be looking for something that does one mic in well, few extra features.

---------- Post added 06-16-20 at 09:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
A dedicated recorder like a Zoom or Tascam is always going to be better than any camera's little inbuilt recorder.

That's why for movies and commercials you record separately and use a clapper board to sync the video and audio when lining up the clips in editing.

Even if you were to plug a microphone into a camera, it's best to go through an amp first.
Yeah, sadly the extra recorder is pushing the price of this whole outfit to a little higher than I should be spending. Will have to keep my eyes open for used equipment!

---------- Post added 06-16-20 at 09:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Syntax Quote
K-3 is ok but not great. It’s better than some other DSLRs. The Analog to Digital converter is the weak link and even an iPhone may be better for your purposes. You will probably need an adapter to go into iPhone. Most hot shoe mics will go directly into the K-3.
That's what I worried. Thanks - think I'll have to think about this more.
06-16-2020, 06:07 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
A separate sound device is the best way to do sound for video
Depending on what you meant by "sound device," recording video and audio on separate devices can result in timing issues that require a significant amount of digital processing to compensate for (to get video and audio to be perfectly in sync, not just to add a soundtrack). It is still possible, but becomes a lot more work than recording both on the same device, especially if the video camera isn't professional grade.

06-16-2020, 06:07 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote

Ps: hrm, a user clackers suggesting a clapper... checks out!

---------- Post added 06-16-20 at 09:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Depending on what you meant by "sound device," recording video and audio on separate devices can result in timing issues that require a significant amount of digital processing to compensate for (to get video and audio to be perfectly in sync, not just to add a soundtrack). It is still possible, but becomes a lot more work than recording both on the same device, especially if the video camera isn't professional grade.
Thankfully for me, I just want to record the sound, it's super dark back there, the atmosphere of the frogs and occasional coyote in the distance is the main event.
06-16-2020, 06:16 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any recommendations?... , sadly the extra recorder is pushing the price of this whole outfit to a little higher than I should be spending. Will have to keep my eyes open for used equipment!
I bought a $40 sound processor from Long & McQuade for our church to convert the audio from the sound board to digital so church services could be posted online. Some of our mics use 48 volt phantom power and the high impedence of guitar pickups can cause problems, this little device can compensate for all of that by itself if you don't have a sound board handy. It plugs into a USB port on a laptop, so the pastor can see what is being broadcast. If you have access to a laptop (even an ancient one, as long as it works) you have a perfectly good recorder to use.
06-16-2020, 06:24 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You are 80% of the way there, the microphone is easily the most important component.But no images or video, not even with a remote trigger or intervalometer? For starters, I don't think the K-3 will record audio without recording video at the same time. If you have no need for video, use a laptop and you won't run into the same time restrictions as your K-3 (25 minutes). The analog to digital convertors in a laptop won't be any worse than what is in the K-3 and might be a lot better. Either way, you want to manually set recording levels and to do that with a K-3 requires some menu diving, as opposed to doing it more precisely in an interactive fashion with a laptop.
The Tascam DR series is a small stereo recorder with decent built in mics (that can be put in an ortf configuration). Excellent specs -- $70 up
06-16-2020, 08:10 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks! Yeah, I've been reading that an external recorder is the way to go. Any recommendations? I'd be looking for something that does one mic in well, few extra features.

---------- Post added 06-16-20 at 09:02 PM ----------

Yeah, sadly the extra recorder is pushing the price of this whole outfit to a little higher than I should be spending. Will have to keep my eyes open for used equipment!

---------- Post added 06-16-20 at 09:05 PM ----------

That's what I worried. Thanks - think I'll have to think about this more.
It's been years since I've used any. But you shouldn't have to go too deep into the pocket if you aren't going to use it professionally, or like everyday.

---------- Post added 06-16-20 at 11:45 PM ----------

Thankfully for me, I just want to record the sound, it's super dark back there, the atmosphere of the frogs and occasional coyote in the distance is the main event.
We've had a Chuck-will's-widow calling behind the house during the evening, late twilight and after. I went out and recorded it with a phone, just to identify it, it's a very seldom seen member of the nightjar family with a very distinctive and loud call. I'd love to get a photo of it. They sleep during the day either on a tree branch or if nesting on the ground. Supposedly, they blend in so well that they are very hard to see on the ground. The trees it seems to be in are very densely leafed, I have looked through them a couple times with binoculars to no avail. We've only been here since mid April, it's an interesting symphony of sounds at night with a variety of frogs, occasional owls, the Chuck-will's-widow, but no coyotes yet. There are also some bobcats in the area, but I have not heard them. But then, what does the fox say? (sorry, I couldn't help it)
06-16-2020, 10:03 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Separate recordings are the best way, that's what the pros do to avoid amateurish sound quality. The camera is free to move as it likes in the scene.

You can clap your hands once you 'roll' so you see the spike in your editor and drag the scene across to match.
06-17-2020, 03:24 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks guys, looking to probably pick up this or the model above that does phantom power.

https://www.long-mcquade.com/128924/Pro-Audio---Recording/Multi-track-Record...-Interface.htm
06-17-2020, 04:57 AM   #14

I have a Zoom H6 and it is fantastic, interchangeable mics plus the ability to plug in four others and a head phone jack to be able to monitor it. It records to an SD card plus an output so you can use it as an external mic for your camera. They also make smaller less expensive models. I highly recommend taking a look at them.

Jim
06-17-2020, 06:31 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Save some money:

https://www.long-mcquade.com/128920/Pro-Audio---Recording/Multi-track-Record...-Interface.htm

Difference between the two, beyond the price is the microphones. 07x is unidirectional, 05x is omnidirectional. For what you are wanting to record you
wouldn't notice a difference. I have used the original DR-05 for years, and its record quality is great.