Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-19-2020, 05:08 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Slo-mo video editing recommendation?

Hello,

I'm not much into video but I'm trying to work slow motion. I can record high fps with the Gopro but I need to properly edit it. While not great, Gopro Studio was capable of that, but it was discontinued, there is no support and I can't find it to download. In older sw like pro-show I can only change the speed % but the results are horrible. All I need is to trim and adjust playback speed in true fps like 120fps playback at 24 fps. Any recommendation?

Thanks,

09-19-2020, 06:49 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That should be a simple task, have you tried it at 30fps, it could be all the difference you need? 24fps was the standard for film, 30 for video tape, I know digital can be shot at many speeds, but it may be easier for your SW to play it at 30. This is total speculation, several years ago I did a lot of video work using Final Cut Pro and it was so good there were never any real problems except for user error.

If you have the Adobe CC photography plan, Premier Rush is included, at least I think it is because it installed on my computer. I have not used it but it has good reviews and is supposed to be easy to work with. Adobe is also still making Premier Elements.

I used to have a Corel video editor that I used a few times that was OK. It was an older version bundled with Paint Shop Pro that was very cheap at the time, in fact that was why I bought it, it was better than the paint shop pro, which I would not recommend to anyone. I only mention that because sometimes older versions can be had for pretty reasonable prices.
09-20-2020, 12:53 AM   #3
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you have Windows 10, here is an easy option:How to Add Slow-Motion Effect to Video in Photos App Windows 10
09-21-2020, 01:18 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Slo-mo video editing recommendation?
If you go to the Blackmagic website, they have a free version of their editing suite for download.That will probably help you.

Its called Da Vinci Resolve

Last edited by surfar; 09-21-2020 at 01:46 AM.
09-21-2020, 04:07 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks!
I have received a few suggestions about Davinci Resolve. I'm downloading it. Will try to install in my laptop and see how it goes as it is an old slow machine.

Thanks!
09-26-2020, 07:50 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In any case, the quality of slow-motion depends on the frame rate at which it was shot. If you take a 30 fps video and drop it to 15 fps, it will still work (consider the 16 fps rate of old 8mm film), but it can be somewhat jerky, particularly when there are camera movements. Once you've shot a video at a given rate, you're stuck with that and any "slo-mo" effect is just an undersampling of the original (via software) so quality can suffer if the original rate wasn't high enough - best to start with a camera that can shoot higher frame rates if you're really serious about shooting a lot of slow motion.
10-15-2020, 12:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hello,

I'm not much into video but I'm trying to work slow motion. I can record high fps with the Gopro but I need to properly edit it. While not great, Gopro Studio was capable of that, but it was discontinued, there is no support and I can't find it to download. In older sw like pro-show I can only change the speed % but the results are horrible. All I need is to trim and adjust playback speed in true fps like 120fps playback at 24 fps. Any recommendation?

Thanks,
The free version of Resolve will give you the best results.

as for that GoPro software - if you have any other video editing app on your system, Don't!! Install the GoPro software - it breaks other NLE's because of how badly written the GoPro software is - It over-writes the files required by other applications.

10-18-2020, 08:54 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

For pretty much any video editing/compositing/sound/color correction..... well, basically anything related to video production, the answer to "is there a free/low cost program to do x?" is always "Davinci Resolve". It's an incredible piece of software that competes not just with other free software but with software packages in the thousands of dollars.
11-01-2020, 07:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Personally, I would also recommend you look into Lightworks as an alternative. Davinci Resolve is a great program but uses many times the resources of lightworks. The downside of the free version of lightworks is that its max output is 720p.
11-08-2020, 07:53 AM   #10
Veteran Member

If you're using Resolve on a slower computer, there are several settings you can set to make life a bit easier. From the top of my head setting optimised format to something like DNxHR LB and optimising your files before doing any editing helps quite a bit.
11-15-2020, 12:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member

DaVinci Resolve got an update released this week, current is "17 beta", and when it goes full release, the full release, the paid version will be available with a Jog-Shuttle edit controller included free.

Yeah, I'm up dating, so much want to see who adds hooks in their software for the BMD controller, hoping vMix supports it quickly.