Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
09-19-2020, 06:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Better camera for video than K-01

I currently have a K-01 and am getting more into video than stills, I like my lenses and would rather not sell everything off and try and switch brands, plus, it would be a pain since there isn't much of a market for Pentax gear where I live. I was however thinking of selling off my K-01 and kit lens and getting a better body, I know Pentax in general isn't the best for video, but my questions are:

What cameras are available with at least higher bitrate video? (IMO the K-01's main shortcoming in video)

Do any Pentax cameras encode to MJPEG instead of H264?

Which Pentax bodies actually have stabilized (not in software) video?

09-19-2020, 06:22 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interestingly enough, the K-5 uses mechanical stabilization and creates AVI files, though all bodies that came after switched to electronic SR and H264. I believe the K-3 and K-1 have slightly higher bitrates, with the quality being better with the latter due to the larger sensor (but still not a significant improvement, IMO).

The problem with the K-5 is that you lose focus peaking and full manual control for video exposure, so it would be hard not to recommend another brand if you really want to focus on video.

If you get a mirrorless camera, you'll at least be able to adapt your Pentax lenses!

One last thing- there's a chance that the upcoming replacement for the K-3 will at least make basic video improvements, so perhaps it would be worth waiting to see what it offers.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-19-2020, 07:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I feel like you're right, you lose too much going to a K-5 vs. the K-01. The loss of 30fps at full HD is killer also. Although, unless I'm doing something wrong, the K-01 doesn't have focus peaking while actually shooting video, does it?

And going to another brand, I'm sure I'd lose AF on my Pentax lenses but would I be able to keep at least aperture control, or is there an aperture ring on the adapter for DA lenses? I haven't really looked into whats available.

---------- Post added 09-19-2020 at 08:49 PM ----------

Also, would anyone with a K-S2 know what the video bitrate is on it?
09-19-2020, 07:54 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I have a Panasonic G85 and I'd recommend that if you want something that has excellent 4K quality, mic in, and awesome video stabilization. They are plentiful used although dunno in your area.

I have an inexpensive adaptor I bought that allows for manual aperture control with Pentax DA lenses. I haven't used it much though since the kit lens with the G85 is quite nice and perfectly sufficient for my needs.

I can't really recommend using any Pentax camera for video, sorry.

EDIT: it might be called the G80 in your region, I don't know why Panasonic makes this so confusing.

09-19-2020, 07:55 PM   #5
Pentaxian

There are some DA adapters with an aperture control ring, which works with any lens with a mechanical lever and not with kaf4 lenses. I use one for micro four thirds, it was affordable and it works fine. It is finicky sometimes because the full aperture adjustment is about a quarter of a turn. I don't have experience with high end adapters such as novoflex.
09-19-2020, 09:01 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by nixcamic Quote
or is there an aperture ring on the adapter for DA lenses
There are such adapters, e.g. Sony A7 with Pentax Full-frame Glass Review - Adapting Pentax Glass on the Sony Alpha 7 | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Some are way cheaper than this one, with a slightly lower build quality of course.

Although, unless I'm doing something wrong, the K-01 doesn't have focus peaking while actually shooting video, does it?
That's right. Other Pentax bodies don't either, but it's a great feature to have for stills.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-20-2020, 12:27 AM   #7
Forum Member

After buying the K-1, I will not buy another Pentax body unless they finally fix their awful video. It's absurd that my Android phone does a much better job producing videos than a $1500 Pentax camera. Maybe the new body will finally bring Pentax video into the year 2005.

09-20-2020, 12:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I currently have a K-01 and am getting more into video than stills, I like my lenses and would rather not sell everything off and try and switch brands, plus, it would be a pain since there isn't much of a market for Pentax gear where I live. I was however thinking of selling off my K-01 and kit lens and getting a better body, I know Pentax in general isn't the best for video, but my questions are:

What cameras are available with at least higher bitrate video? (IMO the K-01's main shortcoming in video)

Do any Pentax cameras encode to MJPEG instead of H264?

Which Pentax bodies actually have stabilized (not in software) video?
I bought a Nikon z6 for that reason and put my Pentax m lenses on it with adapter. works like a charm but of course a more expensive solution..

for what it is worth, the k3 is really a tad better than k01 in my opinion. the k3 is more defined and loses less detail in wide scenery. With the right usage you can get decent results with it. Like you say: the loss of detail is the k01 biggest flaw
The software stabilisation is also a tad better than the k01 in is useful in wide-angle sceneries. less wobbling
09-20-2020, 02:48 AM   #9
Pentaxian

For the best in video, your best option is one of the modern mirrorless wonders with a K mount adapter. The caveat is that only lenses with aperture rings will work. Manual focus and manual aperture is not a problem, since that is how serious movie makers roll anyway.
09-20-2020, 06:47 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Dpreview reccomend a Nikon Z 6 or a Fujifilm XT-4 for video.
Best video cameras for photographers: Digital Photography Review
09-20-2020, 06:57 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Buy a camera just for video.
Using a DSLR ofr video is silly.
I don't shoot much video so I bought a Panasonic ZS100 with 4k video just so I'd have something, I've used it 3 times for video.
09-20-2020, 09:07 AM - 5 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rdj92807 Quote
After buying the K-1, I will not buy another Pentax body unless they finally fix their awful video. It's absurd that my Android phone does a much better job producing videos than a $1500 Pentax camera. Maybe the new body will finally bring Pentax video into the year 2005.
I completely understand! I bought a Subaru outback to haul gravel in. Subaru said it wasn't suited for that and that they really were not interested in the gravel hauling market but I think anyone making cars these days should at least do basic gravel hauling. Now that I've tried it I will never buy another Subaru, they are terrible at gravel hauling. It's really absurd that my simple wheelbarrow is better at it than my $35,000 automobile. Shame on Subaru!
09-20-2020, 11:14 AM   #13
Forum Member

The K-01 had decent video specifications when it was launched 8 years ago - certainly not class leading but not too embarrassing. Unfortunately Pentax video has not made much progress since then. The K-1 (mark 1 and 2) both only do Full HD at 60i or 30p like the K-01 and do a similar job or at least not significantly better. The sound is the main improvement, the K-01 has an annoying tendency to add hiss to the soundtrack, even when using an external microphone. The K-1 is better in this respect - and also has an earphone jack which the K-01 does not. But the video output is very similar so not much of an upgrade from the K-01 if you are interested in video. I don't really see much difference either when comparing the video from K-1 or K-01 to that of the Q-S1, except that for some bizarre reason the Q-S1 skips audio on the first couple of seconds of each video file. Hard to fathom how nobody at Pentax noticed this before the camera was released. Your best bet for good video for little money is probably a micro four thirds camera from Panasonic. The have offered decent 4K video for years so even a used one should do fine.
09-20-2020, 11:36 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I completely understand! I bought a Subaru outback to haul gravel in. Subaru said it wasn't suited for that and that they really were not interested in the gravel hauling market but I think anyone making cars these days should at least do basic gravel hauling. Now that I've tried it I will never buy another Subaru, they are terrible at gravel hauling. It's really absurd that my simple wheelbarrow is better at it than my $35,000 automobile. Shame on Subaru!
I mean, the K-01 has video mode on the dial, plus a dedicated video recording button, and the marketing material mentions video. I don't really think that's a fair analogy.
09-20-2020, 12:14 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't really think that's a fair analogy.
And the Subaru has a trunk. I can put gravel in bags and load it into the trunk but really the wheelbarrow is easier.

Pentax has been very clear that they are not going to consider video a feature they want to prioritize. And let's be honest for anyone fooling around with video of the dog catching a ball the K-01 is perfectly fine. For anything professional or vaguely professional its not. So having a video mode in the camera is just for casual users, the sensor supports it so why not? But its not good enough for anyone who really is into video.