Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 40 Likes Search this Thread
11-04-2020, 12:41 AM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
I know you're being satirical, but even quick napkin math will show you're off by magnitudes.
A quick look at the spec sheet so far shows two key numbers: 25 minutes / 4 GB limit.
It's 4gb or 25 mins. As obviously the camera can let you shoot at resolutions far below its maximum.

Last edited by ZombieArmy; 11-04-2020 at 12:56 AM.
11-04-2020, 02:20 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
It's 4gb or 25 mins. As obviously the camera can let you shoot at resolutions far below its maximum.
The thread is about 4k video output and the upper potential of what the camera is capable of. The K-3 III is thus at the very least capable of shooting up to 21.7 mbps, which is around 1000x your quoted number of 20 kbps (FYI this is the speed of a dial up modem). Overall file size is bitrate per second x length of video file, hence calculating the bitrate is inversely proportional to the two factors. Assuming a 4GB file, the bitrate increases as the duration decreases from 25 minutes.
11-04-2020, 03:05 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
I do shoot video on my camera. I think it's a really nice feature to have when you need it. And I don't think a camera has to be on the level of the GH5 to be a good video camera. It should have some basics: focus peaking while shooting, good compression data rates for clear, crisp video, and good stabilization for quick run and gun shooting. If it has that, you can actually do a whole lot with a camera.

I don't really know how popular it is, but what I have seen these days especially with COVID is tons of people are starting up VLOGs and making videos, so I suspect it will just increase over time.

I do think this is one area where MILCs are vastly superior, if only because you can shoot through the viewfinder. Shooting only with the back screen is quite difficult for some applications. So in this case, if you shoot video and want to make your life easier no matter what camera you have, I would suggest getting a mirrorless.
I shoot video clips, which isn't exactly the same thing as being serious about video. For that, a K-1 is OK, particularly since I don't own a 4K screen or any software to edit 4K video.

I think Pentax should put effort into making all of their features as good as possible. I just don't think the majority of Pentaxians are serious videographers. For VLOGs, the quality I have seen has been questionable -- probably due to online bit rates and stuff like that.
11-04-2020, 03:45 AM   #34
Pentaxian

The thread is about 4k video output and the upper potential of what the camera is capable of. The K-3 III is thus at the very least capable of shooting up to 21.7 mbps, which is around 1000x your quoted number of 20 kbps (FYI this is the speed of a dial up modem). Overall file size is bitrate per second x length of video file, hence calculating the bitrate is inversely proportional to the two factors. Assuming a 4GB file, the bitrate increases as the duration decreases from 25 minutes.
Yes I'm aware. And as you were aware my comment was tongue firmly in cheek. But the 25 min limit is irrelevant, it's to keep in line with some European law about preventing consumer cameras from being surveillance devices. It tells us absolutely nothing about the projected bitrate of the upcoming camera.

I was just making a jab at Pentax for their historically bad bitrates.

11-04-2020, 03:51 AM - 1 Like   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I shoot video clips, which isn't exactly the same thing as being serious about video. For that, a K-1 is OK, particularly since I don't own a 4K screen or any software to edit 4K video.

I think Pentax should put effort into making all of their features as good as possible. I just don't think the majority of Pentaxians are serious videographers. For VLOGs, the quality I have seen has been questionable -- probably due to online bit rates and stuff like that.
I shoot primarily in the studio which benefits greatly from high quality video - models demonstrating how clothes look, 360 product clips, archiving, social media clips, etc. This is why I think Pentax should atleast give decent video output. Good video AF is a bonus on top of that.
11-04-2020, 03:53 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Enrique S Toso Quote
Why?? Why not h.265 10bit??
I think my bigger question is why are they keeping the stupid 4gb/25 min limit for all cameras outside of Europe?

Also who cares about h.265? It's not like it's much more than a file size reduction that can end up costing you in your editing software anyways. Why not demand something like pentax log files?

And also also, if these things were that important why wait for a consumer dlsr anyways? The blackmagic cameras are available for purchase right now and will blow the pants off most any multifeatured mirrorless or dslr...
11-04-2020, 03:56 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I shoot primarily in the studio which benefits greatly from high quality video - models demonstrating how clothes look, 360 product clips, archiving, social media clips, etc. This is why I think Pentax should atleast give decent video output. Good video AF is a bonus on top of that.
Sure.

I would be happy if it is a solid codec and has focus peaking enabled during video operation. Mechanical SR would be a nice bonus.

11-04-2020, 03:58 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Sure.

I would be happy if it is a solid codec and has focus peaking enabled during video operation. Mechanical SR would be a nice bonus.
Mechanical SR hasn't been enabled in video mode since the K7. I wouldn't hold my breath even though they obviously should.

Hell at this point I'd just take clean HDMI output (which no doubt they'd not retroactively upgrade for even the KP).
11-04-2020, 04:03 AM - 1 Like   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mechanical SR hasn't been enabled in video mode since the K7. I wouldn't hold my breath even though they obviously should.

Hell at this point I'd just take clean HDMI output (which no doubt they'd not retroactively upgrade for even the KP).
I'm pretty sure my K5 and K5 II cameras had it as well, not?
11-04-2020, 04:04 AM   #40
Pentaxian

I'm pretty sure my K5 and K5 II cameras had it as well, not?
They sure didn't.
11-04-2020, 05:01 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

We will see. I’d think that even KP is ’old Pentax’ and this K3-3 is what is something completelly new. Still SR mechanical for video and clean HDMI out might wait for later. But no one knows except guys at ricoh. Given that tech is updated and there is plenty of new video things around at Ricoh’s end there are possibilities. I have BMPCC 4K with ’annoying, but big’ fixed screen. Clean HDMI will enhance that. So, I’m with you on that, please, clean HDMI out. That would sell one of my BMPCC 4K and get me one of these instead. Would still keep one for my work.
11-04-2020, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

They sure didn't.
Imaging Resource seems to say yes. Pentax K-5 Review - Video

The said: "The Pentax K-5's body-based image stabilization can be used when recording movies. Not only does this make any lens you're recording with into an IS model, but we found that the image stabilization worked exceptionally well when recording videos."
11-04-2020, 09:54 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

The said: "The Pentax K-5's body-based image stabilization can be used when recording movies. Not only does this make any lens you're recording with into an IS model, but we found that the image stabilization worked exceptionally well when recording videos."
To be fair, that is a review of a ten-year old camera body. The standards since then have risen immensely.
11-04-2020, 10:17 AM - 1 Like   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
To be fair, that is a review of a ten-year old camera body. The standards since then have risen immensely.
Look. I'm not saying it was great. Just that there have been several Pentax cameras that allowed mechanical SR. When they went to the K3, they disabled it.
11-04-2020, 07:22 PM   #45
Pentaxian

Maybe someone with a K-5 or K-5II could test? I remember hearing otherwise and my same generation K-01 absolutely does not have mechanical stabilization.