Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 40 Likes Search this Thread
11-05-2020, 03:28 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Maybe someone with a K-5 or K-5II could test? I remember hearing otherwise and my same generation K-01 absolutely does not have mechanical stabilization.
The K-01 definitely doesn't have mechanical SR with video. I remember everyone getting upset when the K-3 came out and didn't have mechanical SR (I guess because it added tiny noises to the video audio).

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/239927-k-3-video-sr-digit...echanical.html

11-06-2020, 01:45 AM   #47
Veteran Member

I dont know why so many people rave about 4k. I have seen some 4k stuff via youtube lately (and yes, it was 4k, not downsampled) on my 55" TV and to my eyes this just looks unreal. Maybe I am too old-fashioned, but the 007 Goldfinger scene I've seen in 4k was ummm, strange. Other modern day stuff also look wrong. Even simple HD does not please most people because you see every grain but 4k looks just artificial to me.
11-06-2020, 03:11 AM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yucafrita Quote
I dont know why so many people rave about 4k.
My guess its because its 4 times the 1080 resolution.

At wider angles my eyes notice a a little more definition.However,zoomed in is where I really see the difference.

Modern cameras give a choice of resolutions,use the one that suits.
11-06-2020, 03:17 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Yes, I know the propaganda, sharper than reality

11-06-2020, 03:38 AM - 3 Likes   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote

At wider angles my eyes notice a a little more definition.However,zoomed in is where I really see the difference.

Modern cameras give a choice of resolutions,use the one that suits.
Quality in this sense always has a diminishing return. It's like asking why people bother buying HiFi setups with outrageous prices when speakers around 1000 bux will already sound great. But with regards to video, we're still not quite to the point where the difference is barely if at all noticeable. Going from 240 to 480 to 1080 all showed very noticeable improvements. You could say that the move from 1080 to 4k is less noticeable, and arguably that's true. To this point I regularly watch 4k/1080p videos on youtube and I don't really see the difference between the two.

But from the creator perspective, 4K provides significant editing latitude over 1080p. I can't crop 1080p footage without generating noticeable decreases in quality. I can for 4k.
11-06-2020, 03:50 AM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
To this point I regularly watch 4k/1080p videos on youtube and I don't really see the difference between the two.
It can depend on the size of the screen you are viewing too.
11-06-2020, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #52
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

But from the creator perspective, 4K provides significant editing latitude over 1080p. I can't crop 1080p footage without generating noticeable decreases in quality. I can for 4k.
And there we have it. Everyone is looking at this from the wrong end.

11-06-2020, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #53
Veteran Member

Maybe someone with a K-5 or K-5II could test? I remember hearing otherwise and my same generation K-01 absolutely does not have mechanical stabilization.
The K-5 series does have mechanical SR in video, I bought my current K-5 specifically for that and the uncompressed footage. I use it regularly, it does affect the audio unless you plug in an external mic, but otherwise it works pretty well.
11-06-2020, 03:34 PM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
The K-5 series does have mechanical SR in video, I bought my current K-5 specifically for that and the uncompressed footage. I use it regularly, it does affect the audio unless you plug in an external mic, but otherwise it works pretty well.
Does that also apply for the K-5IIs? I wonder if I should pick up a cheap body for some of my auxiliary footage.
11-06-2020, 05:28 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Does that also apply for the K-5IIs? I wonder if I should pick up a cheap body for some of my auxiliary footage.
My understanding is that it does. I intend to replace my K-5 with a K-5 IIs eventually for the lack of AA filter and lower-light AF.
11-06-2020, 06:48 PM   #56
Veteran Member

I would just get one of the lower-end olympus cameras like the Em 1 Mk 2 for the same or not much more cost. You can get a cheap Pentax-4/3 adapter if you are okay with manual focus or a kit lens...in either case you will get much sharper HD footage than the K5ii.
11-06-2020, 08:05 PM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
I would just get one of the lower-end olympus cameras like the Em 1 Mk 2 for the same or not much more cost. You can get a cheap Pentax-4/3 adapter if you are okay with manual focus or a kit lens...in either case you will get much sharper HD footage than the K5ii.
If by a bit more you mean a few hundred more I guess you're right on that. i'm shooting personal projects, overall IQ isn't that important.
11-07-2020, 03:41 AM - 1 Like   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The K-01 definitely doesn't have mechanical SR with video. I remember everyone getting upset when the K-3 came out and didn't have mechanical SR (I guess because it added tiny noises to the video audio).

K-3 video SR - digital not mechanical? - PentaxForums.com
At this point I find it a bit unbelievable that Pentax would still try to hold onto the argument that the SR unit generates too much noise in video, considering now that practically every brand out there has IBIS enabled video.
11-07-2020, 03:53 AM - 1 Like   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

At this point I find it a bit unbelievable that Pentax would still try to hold onto the argument that the SR unit generates too much noise in video, considering now that practically every brand out there has IBIS enabled video.
It did make kind of funny electronic noises in the audio. I don't think it would affect a serious videographer, as they would use an external mic of some kind which eliminated it, but my experience was that it worked pretty decently otherwise.
11-07-2020, 10:31 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
How many people actually shoot a lot of video on their MILC/SLR cameras? I think it is less than the video Forumites would think.
It's enough for Sony, Canon and Panasonic to make dedicated models just for those people, and to ensure that ALL of thier cameras have good quality video.

Nikon and Canon have both tried 'Stills only' editions over the last five years, only to quietly drop them from the range when they failed to sell.

---------- Post added 08-11-20 at 04:36 AM ----------

They sure didn't.
K-5 and K-5ii were the last bodies to have Mechanical SR in Video - there was a sample on youtube showing one of the forums old hands walking along following his partner, filming her handheld on his K-5.

It looked like SteadiCam smooth.

---------- Post added 08-11-20 at 04:43 AM ----------

K-5 and K-01 are not the same generation. K-01 and K-30 were the first bodies of the generation that followed the K-5.

The significant changes between the generations, was the APS-c sensor was all new, the K-5 didn't have HDMI, those that came after did, and the new models were the first where the video CoDec was downgraded to h.264, instead of post-production freindly Mjpeg.

The IBIS was taken away after complaints about it being audible on recordings,... recording made at 32kHz sample rate, which no one would ever use for professional work, even then.

True IBIS SR, high bandwidth Mjpeg, or even high bandwidth h.264 have all been possible, as those features are already in the firmware, just locked away from video recording.

---------- Post added 08-11-20 at 04:50 AM ----------

Pentax, was SEVEN YEARS ahead of everyone on this. Every other manufacturer followed, after Pentax had disabled it

If they'd fixed it in firmware, and given the K-01 HDMI clean feed, I can guarantee you all, the Canon 5D2 would have been outsold by the K-01 for video use - the K-01's horrid ergonomics, make it an easy square box to fit to a video Rig, in the same way a Z-Cam, a BMD Micro, or any Sony MILC does.

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 11-07-2020 at 10:51 AM.