Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2020, 01:04 AM - 1 Like   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Pentax, was SEVEN YEARS ahead of everyone on this. Every other manufacturer followed, after Pentax had disabled it

If they'd fixed it in firmware, and given the K-01 HDMI clean feed, I can guarantee you all, the Canon 5D2 would have been outsold by the K-01 for video use - the K-01's horrid ergonomics, make it an easy square box to fit to a video Rig, in the same way a Z-Cam, a BMD Micro, or any Sony MILC does.
Very interesting point about the K-01. I never thought about it that way, but you're right that it's a capable sensor in an IBIS body. All it really needed was the clean HDMI out and it would have been amazing. It also had the eco-system of plenty cheap old lenses to go with it... Now I wish they made a followup with those exact things and then priced it competitively.

11-08-2020, 12:03 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It just could be that they have made correction to get that mechanical SR working. I think that they mentioned that it is on ’that’ list. It would be so good!
11-09-2020, 08:28 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Regarding IBIS, what other camera manufacturers aside from Pentax allows manual input of focal length to activate IBIS functionality on non electronically coupled lenses?
11-11-2020, 05:36 AM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
Regarding IBIS, what other camera manufacturers aside from Pentax allows manual input of focal length to activate IBIS functionality on non electronically coupled lenses?
Olympus OM-D

11-15-2020, 12:52 AM   #65
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Pretty sure Panasonic and Sony do also, for manual and adapted lenses where there's no communication between the camera and lens.
11-17-2020, 04:50 AM   #66
Veteran Member

I just carefully watched the video that first introduced the new aps-c and lenses. There is dialog around minute 18 that mentions "and other new models that will follow", so it's really possible that a video oriented body be announced in the future.
11-17-2020, 07:39 AM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I just carefully watched the video that first introduced the new aps-c and lenses. There is dialog around minute 18 that mentions "and other new models that will follow", so it's really possible that a video oriented body be announced in the future.
I would be very surprised at that ever happening. Sony, Canon, Panny all have robust video corporate level DNA---so one expects great video from those companies. Pentax never has, so it's a real reach for them. But the truth for us is, we are not here because we ever wanted the latest and greatest video. If anyone is, then that person is deluded imo. And for so many applications right now that are professional level, just very good HD really works, and 4K is actually overkill in terms of how it looks on the web (it's not overkill in terms of production latitude, although it is if you don't have enough oomph in you workstation...).

So, Pentax can reach the more than acceptable realm w/o too much strain on their small company I think, and those of us who need acceptable video for our work will be just fine. But I really will not hold my breath for a video-centric Pentax camera! Possibly the best option for me if Pentax doesn't deliver would be a Black Magic unit.

11-18-2020, 05:37 PM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
So, Pentax can reach the more than acceptable realm w/o too much strain on their small company I think, and those of us who need acceptable video for our work will be just fine. But I really will not hold my breath for a video-centric Pentax camera! Possibly the best option for me if Pentax doesn't deliver would be a Black Magic unit.
In my opinion the cheapest awesome camera for video is the Fuji Xt30, the only downisde is that it doesn't have stabilization. Other strong options are the G9, G5/G5s, XT3/XT4 and the Black Magic.
11-19-2020, 01:27 PM - 1 Like   #69
Pentaxian

I would be very surprised at that ever happening. Sony, Canon, Panny all have robust video corporate level DNA---so one expects great video from those companies. Pentax never has, so it's a real reach for them. But the truth for us is, we are not here because we ever wanted the latest and greatest video. If anyone is, then that person is deluded imo. And for so many applications right now that are professional level, just very good HD really works, and 4K is actually overkill in terms of how it looks on the web (it's not overkill in terms of production latitude, although it is if you don't have enough oomph in you workstation...).

I happened o get in to video lately more and more.I think tht I'm in that gang who has had Pentax for yrs and 'other brands' are giving to you that option now. I shoot with BMPCC video, mostly because it s affordable and great quality. So I can keep my pentax for what it is. But I have to say that when I count my money I can't do that for ever. I'm going to upgrade one of my (I have 2) BMPCC for proper video/broadcast camera and have one upgraded for more mobile work with gimbal of with out(IBIS and better battery). With atleast as good video as BMPCC has. Now, if i can have latest of Pentax with mechanical SR and okay 4K and very good 1080(10 bit and fast enough readout). I'd have to update just one camera for video and get the latest of pentax in order to get my pentax glass working with out adaptors. It does look in a way promising. I know that it might be too much to ask for. I'm ready to shoot in what ever way to get it done, as long as it could be done. I'm shooting 'flat' with BMPCC already. And bring colours in post and what not. no problem, it does not request me any further steps to get it -done-. I have also shot 12 bit BRAW and it is great and all. But have to say it is too much. 1 TB SSD for 45 min. of material if even that AND even if my computer can take it, my HDD is in need of huge investmens...let alone investments I'v made for my computer...So that all said. please. it is not awfully lot to be asked. I'd sell one of my BMPCC in heart beat if 2 criteria is being meet. Mechanical SR for video, 10 bit, 1080. a bonus would be clean HDMI out. A very big bonus. That is it. And I'd be early adopter too.
11-19-2020, 05:45 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Mechanical SR for video, 10 bit, 1080. a bonus would be clean HDMI out. A very big bonus. That is it. And I'd be early adopter too.
Do you find that 10bit vs 8 bit makes a big difference in your video workflow? Just curious because I am getting into video somewhat and I am curious about your experience here.
11-19-2020, 10:42 PM   #71
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
Do you find that 10bit vs 8 bit makes a big difference in your video workflow? Just curious because I am getting into video somewhat and I am curious about your experience here.
It does depend. I’d believe especially it depends on what kind of scenes do you shoot. But if there are high contrast, then it does make a difference. It does give better colour grade and wider DR. You should be able to find that info. One big thing also is mb/s transfer speed. It really does matter. Let us just say that there is a reason why it is that important. But it is not all what matters. I’v shot plenty of things with Pentax. K-1 did give that nice FF look and I did learn that shallow Dof does bring other problems too. But I did shoot in high contrast situations and it is just ‘that much’ what you can do. I did not do head to head comparing, but I did shoot in similar situation later with BMPCC. I did loose FF look, but I did notice how much tones I did get more and how does black and dark tones look, if there are any at all. I did see that with my own eyes. So much more clarity and rich colour in end result. And there is some other things, but it is not part of this.

So, yes. There is a big difference, there is a big difference in BRAW 12 bit and more practical prores 422 and then 4.2.0 what Pentax uses. And video codec has it’s role too in all of this. Now. In good light. Will you see and need that extra bit? I can’t tell. I know when I do appreciate it.
11-21-2020, 07:40 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
It does depend. I’d believe especially it depends on what kind of scenes do you shoot. But if there are high contrast, then it does make a difference. It does give better colour grade and wider DR. You should be able to find that info. One big thing also is mb/s transfer speed. It really does matter. Let us just say that there is a reason why it is that important. But it is not all what matters. I’v shot plenty of things with Pentax. K-1 did give that nice FF look and I did learn that shallow Dof does bring other problems too. But I did shoot in high contrast situations and it is just ‘that much’ what you can do. I did not do head to head comparing, but I did shoot in similar situation later with BMPCC. I did loose FF look, but I did notice how much tones I did get more and how does black and dark tones look, if there are any at all. I did see that with my own eyes. So much more clarity and rich colour in end result. And there is some other things, but it is not part of this.

So, yes. There is a big difference, there is a big difference in BRAW 12 bit and more practical prores 422 and then 4.2.0 what Pentax uses. And video codec has it’s role too in all of this. Now. In good light. Will you see and need that extra bit? I can’t tell. I know when I do appreciate it.
Thanks for the info...I will have to experiment with this.
11-21-2020, 09:16 AM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter

So.....speaking of video. I'm about to get a new PC, looking at this one: PowerSpec System Specs

Microcenters have this on sale now for $699. The good thing about these units is that they are mass produced, but from OTS parts and done modularly, so they are fully upgradeable. Was going to build my own, but it's hard to beat this price even doing it myself with these components. Later on I can swap out the GPU and CPU.

Who is using what in this area---and not Mac!
11-21-2020, 09:29 AM   #74
Veteran Member

So.....speaking of video. I'm about to get a new PC, looking at this one: PowerSpec System Specs

Microcenters have this on sale now for $699. The good thing about these units is that they are mass produced, but from OTS parts and done modularly, so they are fully upgradeable. Was going to build my own, but it's hard to beat this price even doing it myself with these components. Later on I can swap out the GPU and CPU.

Who is using what in this area---and not Mac!
I'd say these are good starting specs, but I would suggest going with a 5000 series AMD processor now that they are out and also swap out the GPU for something newer. For the same budget you might lose a bit on the gaming horsepower by swapping to the latest chips, but you'll be gaining some things, such as AI learning, hardware video decode/encoders, that is often used in PP. If you want, send me a PM and I'll help you spec out a computer based on the US/UK prices.
11-21-2020, 04:20 PM   #75
Veteran Member

Yawn. I'll stick with my Lumix GX85, which can record 4K at 100 Mbps with no file size limit and no recording time limit.