Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 40 Likes Search this Thread
06-14-2021, 08:54 AM   #91
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I’v been playing around with K-3III. While I would also hope for a bit longer possibility for continuous shooting in 4K, I do quite like it. SR could be more efficient too, but I’m learning it. So far I’v just captured small clips, as I have mostly done hand held shooting. For that 7 minutes is long. Even one minute is.
Pfffft,... Handheld with DSLR,... come my friend, let me put this fully rigged AJA Cion on your shoulder, with it's EVF, Shogun Recorder, V-Lock Battery, lens, matte box, filters, and Follow Focus, it's 'only' eight and a half kilos, about two lighter then the same rig on a Red, and half the mass of an Arri Alexa

Now, this Director here, he wants this feature film handheld single take look,...... I'm sure your back will be fiiiiiiine.

06-14-2021, 12:28 PM   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Pfffft,... Handheld with DSLR,... come my friend, let me put this fully rigged AJA Cion on your shoulder, with it's EVF, Shogun Recorder, V-Lock Battery, lens, matte box, filters, and Follow Focus, it's 'only' eight and a half kilos, about two lighter then the same rig on a Red, and half the mass of an Arri Alexa

Now, this Director here, he wants this feature film handheld single take look,...... I'm sure your back will be fiiiiiiine.
Yeah, Actually good weight does help with stability quite a bit, if it is well balanced. I have shot now with better tripod(manfrotto)and movie head (sirui) . Even now I need to have one of my leg on mid part of that tripod in order to keep it at it’s place when I’m panning. Nice friction does give smooth result and panning don’t go too fast for 30 FPS.

Still thinking of buying a proper shoulder kit instead of gimbal. It should work with my Pocket 4K and camera after those 2 aswell as with Pentax. Of course gimbal will make a lot of shooting more easy, but it does look too controlled for ’handheld’ and as much as it is handy, it is not as much fun... maybe.

I’d like to try fully loaded rig too one day.
06-15-2021, 05:51 AM   #93
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Yeah, Actually good weight does help with stability quite a bit, if it is well balanced. I have shot now with better tripod(manfrotto)and movie head (sirui) . Even now I need to have one of my leg on mid part of that tripod in order to keep it at it’s place when I’m panning. Nice friction does give smooth result and panning don’t go too fast for 30 FPS.

Still thinking of buying a proper shoulder kit instead of gimbal. It should work with my Pocket 4K and camera after those 2 aswell as with Pentax. Of course gimbal will make a lot of shooting more easy, but it does look too controlled for ’handheld’ and as much as it is handy, it is not as much fun... maybe.

I’d like to try fully loaded rig too one day.
Gimbals and shoulder rigs are different animals entirely. I have the Zhiyung Crane 3 Lab. A bit complicated, but once you get going with it it does what is advertised. There's a learning curve, though, and some annoyances.

I'll get a shoulder rig if I start getting more video requests. But what I have that is most useful for me is the fluid head for the tripod plus a rail system. Very nice indeed.
06-15-2021, 06:35 AM   #94
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Gimbals and shoulder rigs are different animals entirely. I have the Zhiyung Crane 3 Lab. A bit complicated, but once you get going with it it does what is advertised. There's a learning curve, though, and some annoyances.

I'll get a shoulder rig if I start getting more video requests. But what I have that is most useful for me is the fluid head for the tripod plus a rail system. Very nice indeed.
Alright! Your tripod set sounds similar to mine. I also have other stuff, but best result so far has come from that set. I’v been pondering about gombals...but let’s see. Good shoulder rig can be places on top of tripod too to get stability and all needed gear for focus and monitor and all that.

I believe that there is no limit orher than practical size and so, for equpment when one is talking about filming. I’m building my set slowly.

06-18-2021, 08:56 AM   #95
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I remember the days of "double" 8mm where the camera held a 25 foot roll of 16mm double perf film (which got flipped over when the first end was reached and shooting continued on the second half of the film). You only had less than a minute and a half of continuous shooting time and the finished roll only held about three and a half minutes of "video". Those were real shooting time limitations! If you were rich, you could afford a 16mm camera which generally held around 100 feet but that went fast too since it was shot at 24 fps (versus the 16 fps of 8mm). And here we are 50 years later and the technological hurdle is 16 minutes?