Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2020, 08:00 AM - 5 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Forest Ecology video made with K-5

I've been producing short videos for the conservation organization I work for over the last year. At first I was shooting with a lower-end olympus mirrorless with decent results, but I really wanted to work with my Pentax lenses and when Andrew Reid over at EOSHD noted that the K-5 might produce the nicest 1080p you can get in a cheap used body other than the Panasonic GH2 I picked up another K-5 without hesitation.

I'm still getting the hand of how to get the best results from it. It's certainly best on a tripod but the SR does respectably for handheld shots, and a cheap shotgun mic improved the audio though it's still not great. A fluid head for the tripod is definitely on my shopping list- panning up trees is something I'm bound to keep doing for similar videos in the future. The footage is great, though. This video is the first I've made exclusively with the K-5, as part of our fundraising to protect a special forest site. Lenses used were the M 50mm f1.7, F 50mm f2.8 macro, and DA 50-200mm. Edited in Filmora.

10-28-2020, 09:39 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great work!
10-28-2020, 10:01 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Be sure to watch this in a higher rez---Youtube defaulted it to 360 for me!
10-28-2020, 01:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nicely done! I love the sound of the crow(?) that starts cawing at around 1:50. Good luck with your fundraiser. I'll have to mount my M50mm f1.7 on my K-5IIs and try to video some nature.

10-28-2020, 01:28 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Kudos on the video. You did an admirable job explaining what old growth forests are about.

Best of luck with the fundraiser!
10-28-2020, 02:42 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting and informative video.
10-28-2020, 07:58 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well done

10-28-2020, 08:20 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Very good!
10-29-2020, 09:16 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks everyone.

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
Nicely done! I love the sound of the crow(?) that starts cawing at around 1:50. Good luck with your fundraiser. I'll have to mount my M50mm f1.7 on my K-5IIs and try to video some nature.
The bird in the background is a raven. They've only returned to the area in the last decade or so, along with the eagles. I was lucky that one flew over when there wasn't an airplane going overhead- I had to stop and wait for planes to fade into the distance many times, or just sub out audio from some clips to go with the best visual clips. The bit with the raven is one of those cases.

So far the M 50 is my favorite to shoot video with. I also shot a bit with the 10-17mm for another project which was very interesting, and definitely a challenge.
05-15-2021, 02:20 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Seeing your video make me want to try it more with my K-5.
Thanks
07-10-2021, 01:11 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
I've been producing short videos for the conservation organization I work for over the last year. At first I was shooting with a lower-end olympus mirrorless with decent results, but I really wanted to work with my Pentax lenses and when Andrew Reid over at EOSHD noted that the K-5 might produce the nicest 1080p you can get in a cheap used body other than the Panasonic GH2 I picked up another K-5 without hesitation.

I'm still getting the hand of how to get the best results from it. It's certainly best on a tripod but the SR does respectably for handheld shots, and a cheap shotgun mic improved the audio though it's still not great. A fluid head for the tripod is definitely on my shopping list- panning up trees is something I'm bound to keep doing for similar videos in the future. The footage is great, though. This video is the first I've made exclusively with the K-5, as part of our fundraising to protect a special forest site. Lenses used were the M 50mm f1.7, F 50mm f2.8 macro, and DA 50-200mm. Edited in Filmora.

Old Growth at the College Lodge Forest: Why it Matters - YouTube
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc_Lampron Quote
Seeing your video make me want to try it more with my K-5.
Thanks
I share Marc's feelings—thanks for inspiring us K-5 owners to try some video work!