Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 56 Likes Search this Thread
11-18-2020, 02:26 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

You guys were right, no one really cares about 4K video on Youtube.

So I asked the question 1080P or 4K for Youtube? and no one so far has said that they want or watch 4k videos on Youtube. One guy said he wished he could watch them in 1080p...

Just when Pentax goes 4 k too. LOL

I'm going to use the KP for video at 1080p and 24fps and see how that goes.

11-18-2020, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
LOL

Yes,RI should have jumped straight to 8K!
11-18-2020, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
4K produces large(er) files and as I don't have a Monitor of that resolution I don't need it, nevertheless offering 4K video has some advantages beside beeing competitive with other manufacturers. The posibility to zoom into certain areas of the frame and still producing a 1080p video in the end for instance.

I don't know about the KP but what I have seen from my K-3 I am not entirely satisfied with the 1080p results (In my opinion video is fine for static recording but I am not happy with the results I get when moving the camera and I am not speaking of the digital image stabilisation, as I am not using it)
11-18-2020, 03:26 PM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
what I have seen from my K-3 I am not entirely satisfied with the 1080p results (In my opinion video is fine for static recording but I am not happy with the results I get when moving the camera and I am not speaking of the digital image stabilisation, as I am not using it)
Are you referring to rolling shutter effect?

11-18-2020, 03:47 PM - 9 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did find one use for 4K. It’s just about enough to buy a K1 and 3 amigos...��
11-18-2020, 03:48 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
The max 30p frame rate might be the concern.

Steve
11-18-2020, 03:49 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote

Yes,RI should have jumped straight to 8K!
Its just about getting equal on bragging rights.

11-18-2020, 03:57 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I think that's the reason for my issues, yes.
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
No major issue for me, no. And I even only use 25p
11-18-2020, 03:58 PM - 1 Like   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ah, right. That would be fine by me... I guess my tastes for video are old-fashioned. I still like the look of 24 fps and 30fps, per the movies and TV shows I grew up with. I understand why others want more, but I find faster frame rates jarring, unless they're being used for slow motion footage...
11-18-2020, 04:06 PM - 1 Like   #10
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
So I asked the question 1080P or 4K for Youtube? and no one so far has said that they want or watch 4k videos on Youtube. One guy said he wished he could watch them in 1080p...

I'm going to use the KP for video at 1080p and 24fps and see how that goes.
Sometimes I even put it down to 720 on youtube!

I'm more interested in higher bitrates and greater bit-depth (sorry if my terminology is off), like 10bit video at 1080, 200mbps. Not sure what the use of 4k video is if you have a low data rate, the details and the color will still look bad.
11-18-2020, 04:11 PM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
In my opinion video is fine for static recording but I am not happy with the results I get when moving the camera and I am not speaking of the digital image stabilisation, as I am not using it)
Rolling shutter is because of how CMOS sensors get their readout. Takes a lot of money to overcome, and global shutters tend to suffer from worse noise and poorer dynamic range, anyway, so I don't want one, thank you!

Sony video's notorious for rolling shutter, even now, and Pentax of course use Sony sensors, and will most likely do so in the new K-3 III:

Sony a6500 Leaves Most a6300 Issues Such As Rolling Shutter Unresolved – DigitalRev
11-18-2020, 04:26 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

imo, like the MP wars, the video resolution wars have a quickly approached diminishing return.
11-18-2020, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
imo, like the MP wars, the video resolution wars have a quickly approached diminishing return.
As with most photographic / video capabilities these days, I think there are (broadly) two camps - those who are happy with "good enough", and those who will continue chase "better" or "leading edge". Where resolution is concerned, it strikes me that video is going through the same evolution as stills photography, in that high(er) resolutions can offer remarkable detail and stand up well to scrutiny at close distances - but at realistic viewing distances, 4K+ - whilst undeniably noticeable - simply isn't necessary for a lot of content.

My latest laptop has a 15.6" 4K screen, and I was reliably informed that at this screen size, 4K resolution would offer little benefit, even with 4K video. In fact, I certainly *can* tell the difference at normal working distance. It's also noticeable on my QHD 24" monitor, and I'm sure would be especially noticeable if that display were UHD... but, FHD video looks just fine - excellent, in fact - on both... to my eyes, at least. It's ample for me.
11-18-2020, 04:50 PM   #14
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

the major barrier to entry for me is the hardware require to run 4K half decently.
A 4K monitor with an IPS panel pushing >60 Hz is still quite expensive.
a 1080p IPS can go to 144 hz relatively easily and the work space on a 24" screen sitting 2 feet away is more than workable.
11-18-2020, 04:59 PM - 4 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

The hilarious thing about all this is that I bet that 99% of people watch YouTube videos on their handheld devices.
1080p and 24fps is what I use if I want to make family videos.