Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2021, 06:23 AM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
but the hard truth that Youtube doesn't want you to know, is that most peoples connections are only fast enough to show 720p, and only when they hold the 'phone landscape.
Depends on the country... We are very lucky in Romania to have one of the best internet speed available worldwide (through cable my internet speed is 418mb for download and 472mb for upload). And I don't have the fastest connection available on my internet subscription plan. Wirelessly I get 150mb for download with 170mb for upload on the 5Ghz wireless network. On my phone I really don't care if the Youtube video I'm watching is full hd or 4k. On a 27" Asus Pro Art monitor the differences between full hd and 4k are small, but on my 4k 60" smart tv I can clearly see the differences between full hd and 4k videos. So yes, if I'm at home, relaxing in my armchair, I tend to use the smart tv to browse on Youtube and if a video I'm interested in has 4k option, I go for it because depending on the content, it's a better experience than full hd.

02-02-2021, 09:32 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Nice shots! - Are you pulling from h.264, ProRes or Raws?

---------- Post added 25-01-21 at 07:47 PM ----------

he he he,.. using my point about the sensors being larger then M4/3, to 'prove' we don't need FF sensor,.... You've not heard of the Canon, Sony, Red, and Arri "Full Frame" cameras then, being used for top end Cinema production??

I'm full of lulz, as I just grabbed a Sony NEX-VG900E full frame camcorder to put my collection of K/KM/KA and P67 lenses in front of.

---------- Post added 25-01-21 at 07:50 PM ----------

Nice of you to say so,... of course, the M1 Mac Mini is US$699 for the WHOLE computer.

It should be a fine unit for Photoshoppers, and does run several 4K streams rather well, but when it comes to applications needing multi-threaded performance, it's about 1/3 of the speed of chips that cost that alone.

Sorry, not up on my Macs. You can buy a PC gamer box for $799 with:
  • Intel i7-10700F 2.9GHz (Max Turbo 4.8 GHz)
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB
  • 16GB DRR4 RAM
  • 240GB SSD + 1TB HDD
Which would blow through almost any 4k video or 60mb stills workflow as well.

6 of one/ half dozen of the other.
05-05-2021, 04:34 AM   #63
KSB

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
So I asked the question 1080P or 4K for Youtube? and no one so far has said that they want or watch 4k videos on Youtube. One guy said he wished he could watch them in 1080p...

Just when Pentax goes 4 k too. LOL

I'm going to use the KP for video at 1080p and 24fps and see how that goes.
I have shot in 4k but then down sample to 1080p.. very rarely share a 4k video
05-05-2021, 11:21 AM - 1 Like   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have no means of watching 4k and no plans to spend money to upgrade ... recently I got a new monitor, and instead of resolution I decided to go for color accuracy for the same budget (though it's still a consumer model, nothing fancy). I am recording a lot of family videos in 1080p with my m43 camera, my needs are not the same as professional production, but I'm pleased with how sharp good 1080 looks. Storage would be another issue long term, even so I'm averaging a few gb per week, it's cheap but not free.

05-06-2021, 08:08 AM - 1 Like   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
I have no means of watching 4k and no plans to spend money to upgrade ... recently I got a new monitor, and instead of resolution I decided to go for color accuracy for the same budget (though it's still a consumer model, nothing fancy). I am recording a lot of family videos in 1080p with my m43 camera, my needs are not the same as professional production, but I'm pleased with how sharp good 1080 looks. Storage would be another issue long term, even so I'm averaging a few gb per week, it's cheap but not free.
Colour Accuracy,... "Better" pixel, rather then more pixel - ALWAYS the better choice, just ask Alexa owners - it's not even close to 4K, got tons of Cinematography and Best Picture awards though
11-22-2021, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some very brief insight into 4k and 8k.

When 4k cameras started showing up on set I asked several DPs about it. The short answer was that it was never meant to be a consumer spec, it was to allow DPs to re-frame, track, stabilize, etc., in post and allow for 2K delivery to theaters without losing image quality. The irony is that more than a few of these DPs I asked thought that 4k and 8k output on consumer monitors (aka, televisions) is not very cinematic, "It doesn't look very good." Also, talent doesn't really like 4k or 8k either.

Shoot in 4k-8k only if you're rushed on set and anticipate the need to rework your operating in post but don't deliver in 4K or 8K. Deliver in 1080p or even 720p if you want to reach the widest audience, particularly viewers in regions where infrastructure is not the best.