Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-02-2020, 04:20 AM - 1 Like   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
TV lenses are typically for ENG/EFP workflows, essentially direct video to live broadcast or something of a similar nature rather than quality footage. They typically come with dedicated electronic focus/zoom by wire systems. In essence this puts them in a similar workflow to blogger/content creator types that want to push content in minimal time / stream live. They are meant to cover a wide range of shooting scenarios coupled with smaller (1/3 2/3 inch) high sensitivity sensors, and are heavy, require adapters to pair with today's ILCs, as well as not fully utilizing even MFT 4/3 sensors. It's not worth the weight, pain of setup, and after you account in the converters and rigging to make them work, no longer economically feasible.

As to personal opinion you can arguably get better autofocus, image quality, and portability from MILCs, DSLRs, or bridge/compact cameras with PDAF that have HDMI out. Pair them with an HDMI transmitter or similar if you want to shoot untethered and broadcast live. My recommendation if you're really serious about getting good video at a budget and want to lighten the load, Pentax bodies are honestly very heavy and the footage quality is not up to spec. A super cheap setup such as a Canon 200D + 15-85 USM or 18-135 STM along with wireless HDMI transmitter, cage, etc, will only set you back around 600-700 USD total if you check the used market. Fully articulating touch screen, near perfect tracking AF, wide zoom range to fit a lot of shooting scenarios, and you can stream the HDMI footage to a laptop/computer for broadcasting. Other options exist for Fuji, Sony, Nikon as well.
Thanks, that was very informative. Ive looked into buying other cameras, and the more i looked the more expensive they get because of the options i wanted which sent me back to my k3 for further stydying and tweaking if possible. I guess what im trying to say is after searching for a good video camera i realized that i need to learn more before buying one since my knowledge is limited at this point. I would love to get a good point and shoot because of the smooth power zoom and ease of use, but image quality means alot to me. Im not sure i could get that out of a point and shoot (bridge camera).
I will check into the canon d200.