Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2020, 02:21 PM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does anyone have experience with a gimbal?

I bought a gimbal to try with my Theta V to try to stabilise the video, but the gimbal itself seems to be generating unnecessary constant vibration. The vibration doesn't appear too much in the video except that it makes the audio completely useless, which is a shame. It's possible that either I haven't balanced the gimbal properly, or it is struggling with the weight of the camera (although the gimbal comes with suitable counterweights for 121g). So primarily I'm asking whether it's normal for a gimbal to produce continuous vibration. FWIW it's a Feiyutech G360.

I've posted in this forum because the question is related more to video than the fact that the camera I'm using is the Theta V.

PS Another problem which I've experienced before is that the depth of the tripod mount on the Theta V isn't enough for the camera to be fixed tightly to the mount.

11-22-2020, 02:39 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi RobG,
i have some experience with a RoninSC. Vibrating motors with the Ronin means, that the motors are not properly calibrated or the balance is off.
I guess it is the same with yours. The app to your gimbal should guide you trough both tasks.
11-22-2020, 02:47 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tau-Ceti Quote
i have some experience with a RoninSC. Vibrating motors with the Ronin means, that the motors are not properly calibrated or the balance is off.
I guess it is the same with yours. The app to your gimbal should guide you trough both tasks.
Thanks! I was trying to figure out why I would download the app for the gimbal. I followed the instruction leaflet for balance, but it doesn't entirely make sense. The device seems really well made, but the instruction leaflet isn't the best. Having the motors vibrating constantly would presumably also flatten the battery really fast.
11-22-2020, 03:15 PM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Another problem which I've experienced before is that the depth of the tripod mount on the Theta V isn't enough for the camera to be fixed tightly to the mount.
Well, that sucks. Might a washer between the thumbscrew and underside of the upper slider (QR plate) provide enough setback on the screw?

Steve

11-22-2020, 06:17 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought a gimbal to try with my Theta V to try to stabilise the video, but the gimbal itself seems to be generating unnecessary constant vibration. The vibration doesn't appear too much in the video except that it makes the audio completely useless, which is a shame. It's possible that either I haven't balanced the gimbal properly, or it is struggling with the weight of the camera (although the gimbal comes with suitable counterweights for 121g). So primarily I'm asking whether it's normal for a gimbal to produce continuous vibration. FWIW it's a Feiyutech G360.

I've posted in this forum because the question is related more to video than the fact that the camera I'm using is the Theta V.

PS Another problem which I've experienced before is that the depth of the tripod mount on the Theta V isn't enough for the camera to be fixed tightly to the mount.
I have no experience with a motorized gimbal, but it should not have a vibration considering what it is for. Sounds faulty to me. But then a shallow tripod mount on the Theta also sounds like a defect.
11-22-2020, 07:35 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Well, that sucks. Might a washer between the thumbscrew and underside of the upper slider (QR plate) provide enough setback on the screw?
Probably. I'll have to see if the local hardware store sells something suitable without buying a whole bag of washers.
I had the same problem when I tried to put the Theta on a tripod.

---------- Post added 23-11-20 at 01:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I have no experience with a motorized gimbal, but it should not have a vibration considering what it is for. Sounds faulty to me. But then a shallow tripod mount on the Theta also sounds like a defect.
I thought it was odd, but I'll experiment with the balance and see if the behaviour changes. I might also see if it's possible to update the firmware in it.

WRT the Theta, I think it's a design fault - someone assumed that there would be a locknut on any tripod to compensate for the short thread.
11-23-2020, 06:06 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tau-Ceti Quote
Vibrating motors with the Ronin means, that the motors are not properly calibrated or the balance is off.
It's the same with the Tilta gimbals we have at work. It usually means the motors are working too hard for some reason.
11-23-2020, 02:52 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
It's the same with the Tilta gimbals we have at work. It usually means the motors are working too hard for some reason.
OK, thanks. I'll have to make another attempt at balancing the gimbal. Another possibility is that it's really not designed for the weight and shape of the Theta.

11-23-2020, 08:19 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK, thanks. I'll have to make another attempt at balancing the gimbal. Another possibility is that it's really not designed for the weight and shape of the Theta.
But you would think the Theta should balance pretty good, nothing really protrudes to add force one direction or other. I looked it up online and really couldn't find any customer reviews. Being that they mention being designed for 360 degree cameras, well that's what you have. I guess you might try adding more counterweights, unless you are already using them all.
11-24-2020, 06:18 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Another possibility is that it's really not designed for the weight and shape of the Theta.
That could be, but the Theta isn't all that heavy, is it? Still...sometimes it doesn't take much to throw the gimbal off. Or at least that's what was happening to us. We were trying to balance ours while our cameras were in Small Rig cages. Something about the distribution of the weight was giving our gimbals fits. If you took the camera out of the cage...things worked great. I eventually figured out that if I left the camera in the cage, but took off the top grip handle, I could balance things out. it was like having that little bit of extra weight up top where it could put more leverage on the gimbal motors, screwed things up. Good luck...I hope you get it figured out.
11-24-2020, 02:52 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
But you would think the Theta should balance pretty good, nothing really protrudes to add force one direction or other. I looked it up online and really couldn't find any customer reviews. Being that they mention being designed for 360 degree cameras, well that's what you have. I guess you might try adding more counterweights, unless you are already using them all.
The idea with the weights is to exactly counterbalance the camera, which I've done. The balancing method which the manufacturer advises wouldn't work with more weights (although I get the logic) and might put too much load on the motors.

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
That could be, but the Theta isn't all that heavy, is it?
121g, and there's counterweights of 100g and 20g.

QuoteQuote:
Still...sometimes it doesn't take much to throw the gimbal off. Or at least that's what was happening to us. We were trying to balance ours while our cameras were in Small Rig cages. Something about the distribution of the weight was giving our gimbals fits. If you took the camera out of the cage...things worked great. I eventually figured out that if I left the camera in the cage, but took off the top grip handle, I could balance things out. it was like having that little bit of extra weight up top where it could put more leverage on the gimbal motors, screwed things up. Good luck...I hope you get it figured out.
Unfortunately there's nothing I can take off the Theta. Their website says that the gimbal can handle up to 300g. However I think you may be right - that it's the length of the Theta which is the problem, generating more leverage and therefore needing constant correction. However there's an adapter available to put a phone on the gimbal, and I'd have thought that much extra weight would be even more strain. The gimbal actually does stabilise after a fashion, but the vibration makes it pointless.