Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2020, 06:05 AM   #1
Pentaxian

External EVF via HDMI

I just stumbled upon this (pricey) option to add an EVF to any camera with HDMI out:
EVF - Z CAM

It is explicitly made for cameras without EVF and offersZebra, False color, Waveform, Histogram, Vectorscope, Frame line, Center mark, Safe area. Focus peaking, magnifier.

Obviously this is a comfy, large option for enthusiasts, not the amateur types.

I found it interesting.

12-26-2020, 08:04 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Looks nice for those in need - must have a healthy price. One issue is that some cameras HDMI output is already limited by the camera to the resolution seen on the LCD so you might not be able to make full use of this for those cases. I'm sure there are other applications where this would be ideal.
12-26-2020, 09:36 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In looking at their website, it appears this is a small company. They are set up to distribute their products in mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan only.
12-26-2020, 10:29 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do believe that they know their niche. When you enter to this gategory, price can go from thousand to thousands. Z cam does look interesting all in all as video apparatus

01-25-2021, 01:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
In looking at their website, it appears this is a small company. They are set up to distribute their products in mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan only.
Nope. They have distribution deals with several major world wide retailers.

A lot of youtubers have grabbed the Z-cam's, as have a lot of Cinema productions, for the small size they offer quite good images, maybe better then the similar sized BMD cams, and they have models that do high frame rates - see "Tim Dodds : The Everyday Astronaut" on youtube to see them in use, with both the good of their output quality, and the bad of their penchant of over heating shooting in the direct Sunlight of Boca Chica in Texas, and the Kennedy Space Center in Florida.

---------- Post added 25-01-21 at 08:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
I just stumbled upon this (pricey) option to add an EVF to any camera with HDMI out:
EVF - Z CAM

It is explicitly made for cameras without EVF and offersZebra, False color, Waveform, Histogram, Vectorscope, Frame line, Center mark, Safe area. Focus peaking, magnifier.

Obviously this is a comfy, large option for enthusiasts, not the amateur types.

I found it interesting.
I'd love to see the image displayed on one of those - I need to update the EVF on my Cion from a SmallHD DP4, and have been looking at the SmallHD 502 with side finder, but the Z-cam unit offers a couple of options with the WiFi connectivity that are interesting, especially if it's outputting an RTSP/RTMP stream (need to look in to that one), and the form factor is much more natural for Cine and Eng cameras.

They list as US$999 on Adorama, which if performance is on par with SmallHD or Zacuto, will make the Z-Cam EVF a real bargain. The Sony, Panasonic, Canon etc equivalents are 3 to 5 times the price.

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 01-25-2021 at 02:08 AM.