Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2021, 06:39 PM   #1

Audio Calibration with External Mic?

I'm going to use a Zoom H1n as a microphone on my K5iis. Does the K5iis have a way to calibrate the input level or is it just a matter of trial and error?

Thanks

02-22-2021, 09:04 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have used my K-3 with a Rode Stereo VideoMic Pro shotgun. I had to calibrate myself the "microphone and camera" system in the anechoic chamber. I am not aware of another professional method. In this instance, the system and its calibration were used as part of an academic scientific study of the atmospheric signature of breaking bore.

Hope that the info will help.
02-22-2021, 09:37 PM   #3

Original Poster
So there is a menu to do the calibration when you plug in the external mic?
02-22-2021, 11:08 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 5shot Quote
So there is a menu to do the calibration when you plug in the external mic?
No. I had to extract the sound files from the movies, and compare them with the pre-calibrated sound excitation that I set in the anechoic chamber.
This is not simple IMO, but it is feasible.

02-22-2021, 11:30 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks, now I understand.
02-23-2021, 05:34 AM   #6
Forum Member

The K-5 series has no manual level control for audio so you're stuck with AGC (automatic gain control). This makes things simpler, but will ramp up the background noise during quieter periods. There's also no headphone socket for monitoring, nor meters to give you a visual indication of the level. Best thing is just to try a few test recordings and adjust the settings (gain/ filter) on the mic/ recorder until you get a response that works best in your particular environment. The K-5 will expect a mic level input, not a line-level, so make sure the recorder is configured correctly. That said, if you've got the Zoom, you'd probably be better just recording on that separately and syncing in post.
02-23-2021, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I might be mistaken but I think the Zoom H1n is not just a microphone but a whole recording device, there is no need to control anything with the K-5, just record with both devices and replace the K-5 audio with the Zoom audio in post after synchronicing both audio tracks.

02-23-2021, 08:43 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
I might be mistaken but I think the Zoom H1n is not just a microphone but a whole recording device, there is no need to control anything with the K-5, just record with both devices and replace the K-5 audio with the Zoom audio in post after synchronicing both audio tracks.
That's what I will be doing...although I was hoping to avoid that process with the setup.

Thanks for all the help guys.
03-05-2021, 01:10 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 5shot Quote
I'm going to use a Zoom H1n as a microphone on my K5iis. Does the K5iis have a way to calibrate the input level or is it just a matter of trial and error?
K5iis only uses 32kHz sample rate, so the onboard audio is only useful for sync sound, and you'll need the H1n's recording for final mix down.

Stick with the headphone level output, start with it at the lowest setting, and slowly turn it up while recording someone speaking normally, then play back the file, listening for when the voice distorts, drop the output level of the H1n back one or two steps from there.
And, do the test recording in steps - don't go from silent to full output in one test, do 0 to 5 first, rather then risk overdriving the K-5's input to the point of damaging it.