Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 131 Likes Search this Thread
04-04-2021, 03:34 PM - 1 Like   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...So it seems, and even more so if the slight involves the K-01.

To be honest, I don't think "crappy camera" was the proper wording; "primitive video" would have been more accurate and much less judgemental and more in tune with the actual content of the video.

To continue being honest, I have been taken aback at how readily personal attack was directed against Jordan as a forum member on this thread. Before their employment with dpreview, both Jordan and Chris were popular on this site and generally held in good favor. Yes, some of their content took a dive with the change, particularly the end-of-year wrap ups, but overall I have found little to provoke offense in their reviews.

Looking forward, members on this site might want to get used to reviews of the K-3iii that praise it for being possibly the best APS-C dSLR ever while at the same time pointing out that the unless that is what you need, your $2000 USD might be better spent elsewhere.

Steve

(...shields UP!!! ....)
You are spot on. I was somewhat embarrassed when I discovered he was a member and wished I had been a bit more balanced In my first post. You are also right about the price. After watching Kai Wong's review I began thinking that Pentax may have priced people out of switching brands or starting out with Pentax. We may well be pricing ourselves even further into the niche created by the company's mission statement

04-05-2021, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
You are spot on. I was somewhat embarrassed when I discovered he was a member and wished I had been a bit more balanced In my first post. You are also right about the price. After watching Kai Wong's review I began thinking that Pentax may have priced people out of switching brands or starting out with Pentax. We may well be pricing ourselves even further into the niche created by the company's mission statement
I don't think I've ever seen less useful information (and almost as little of what counts as "content" these days) from Kai than this latest one. Everyone is rehashing what is already discernible, for some time, from Ricoh/Pentax itself. I guess he's eventually going to go out and shoot with that K-3III and tell us again it's not mirrorless?

And I certainly would not feel "embarrassed" about saying anything about that unprofessional DPR TV piece, which worked way too hard to be amusingly droll.

Last edited by Marktax; 04-06-2021 at 07:07 PM.
04-10-2021, 12:30 PM - 1 Like   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Who remembers this bullying from TheCameraStoreTV?
QuoteQuote:
WARNING

The following Pentax K1 review may occasionally contain
negative, yet truthful comments about Pentax products.
Some Ricoh/Pentax owners may find these statements
upsetting or disturbing.

Due to the zealous anger Pentaxians show towards,
camera reviewer when Pentax products are criticized,
viewer discretion is advised.
04-10-2021, 09:29 PM - 1 Like   #64
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
this bullying
HA HA, yes what a terrible review....imagine telling the truth about the K-1.

04-11-2021, 01:32 AM   #65
Pentaxian

There are a lot of oversensitive pentaxians thats for sure ! You've once again guaranteed that the next pentax review will have a remark about how annoying you are. That remark will be fully justified.

The K-01 *is* a crappy old camera, particularly for video, as is evident from the results. Its still loved and you can get great results from it, those arent incompatible. It would be helpful if less people here supported the less balanced pentaxians and told them off when going over board.
04-11-2021, 02:25 AM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
There are a lot of oversensitive pentaxians thats for sure ! You've once again guaranteed that the next pentax review will have a remark about how annoying you are. That remark will be fully justified.

The K-01 *is* a crappy old camera, particularly for video, as is evident from the results. Its still loved and you can get great results from it, those arent incompatible. It would be helpful if less people here supported the less balanced pentaxians and told them off when going over board.
Maybe so, but there are plenty of other brand users that are a bit sensitive as well. There are just fewer Pentaxians and so a bit easier to pick on. DP Review certainly wouldn't deliberately pick a fight with their favorite son, Sony.

(The K-01 is a fine camera for its era and it still takes decent photos. I don't know that they would have had an easy time with a D3200 or D5200, both of which were released that same year and sold for higher prices than the K-01 -- I bought mine for 225).
04-11-2021, 03:50 AM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Maybe so, but there are plenty of other brand users that are a bit sensitive as well.
[...]
(The K-01 is a fine camera for its era and it still takes decent photos.
[...]
I don't know that they would have had an easy time with a D3200 or D5200, both of which were released that same year and sold for higher prices than the K-01 -- I bought mine for 225).
Its embarrasing when people are to attached to other brands as well.

Being fine for its era still makes it a crap camera for video today.

No one ever said comparable cameras from the same era would be less crap. The crappiness comes mainly from the age of the camera. The K-01, selected by viewers, was a good choice of crap because it also looks and handles funny. Pentax is also well known for not prioritizing video.

04-12-2021, 12:44 AM   #68
Pentaxian

Being fine for its era still makes it a crap camera for video today.

. The crappiness comes mainly from the age of the camera. .
Well I guess at the end of every year with the lists being made. One should be cameras that were good but have now turned to crap. Remember that great camera you bought in 2007 that you have great photos from? This year that camera turned to crap. Yes it wasn't crap at the time. So replace it with a new future piece of crap. Sounds like marketing speak to drive sales.
04-12-2021, 01:47 AM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@house is right. The K-01 is ...distinctive and Pentax were renowned for poor to average video so it effectively chose itself. I think the title was clickbait and I didn't watch it because I presumed, rightly or wrongly, that it would be hugely disparaging to Pentax as a whole. Video in stills cameras was at the time in its early stages of development, but Pentax, by comparison, was pretty weak. Spec wise, comparing it to today's cameras, it doesn't hold up, but the IQ is great and it is a bit of fun. Also I wouldn't be surprised if after the video, non pentaxians decided to get a K-01 purely for the experience. It is what it is
04-12-2021, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Well I guess at the end of every year with the lists being made. One should be cameras that were good but have now turned to crap. Remember that great camera you bought in 2007 that you have great photos from? This year that camera turned to crap. Yes it wasn't crap at the time. So replace it with a new future piece of crap. Sounds like marketing speak to drive sales.
The video showed the experiences of a youtuber with 300k subscribers that commonly handles the best gear available (in that bracket). That a camera as old as the K-01 would be crap is a given. The K-01 is completely inappropriate for the task it was put to, and this was the whole point of the experiment.

I don't think they could have called it a crappy camera referring to stills performance. Viewers wouldn't be able to tell the performance apart from current gear at web resolutions. The whole setup was about video though...

I'm pretty sure my lifestyle (awful word) is amongst the least consumerist of any one at pentax forums. My critique of the driving forces behind this way of life will also be the most severe. Despite this I have no reservations about anyone calling the K-01 a crap video camera in 2021.
04-12-2021, 11:17 AM   #71
Pentaxian

The K-01 is completely inappropriate for the task it was put to, and this was the whole point of the experiment.
My point spoke to old tech.
Is the Leica M6 crappy? Top shutter of 1000, no ttl flash metering, only one metering mode, doesn't take 20fps, no AV, no af.

I still don't think you can call it crappy because it has old tech. Read any modern review of the m6 and they never say "crappy". It is also inherent to look at what it is designed for. If a reviewer decided to open a bottle with it they wouldn't mention it is crappy, only that it can or can't be done. Many things used to have bottle openers as an after thought much like the k01 has video and I never heard a review harp on how the bottle opener function worked including a ice skate key which is more opener than tightener.
04-12-2021, 11:34 AM   #72
Pentaxian

Is the Leica M6 crappy?
It's an extremely crappy video camera.
04-12-2021, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #73
Pentaxian

It's an extremely crappy video camera.
It is also an extremely crappy photo file system. Lightroom is way better. Do in-camera developement next and show how crappy it is compared to photoshop.
04-12-2021, 12:21 PM - 2 Likes   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is also an extremely crappy photo file system.
LOL.

I've never owned a K-01, but I'd bet it's also a cra**y audio streaming device. Probably doesn't even play vinyls, even though it's from another era.

- Craig
04-12-2021, 12:28 PM - 2 Likes   #75
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

but also ask your followers which one would be 'challenging' and then switch it for 'crappy' in your video title... smh so dishonest