Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 131 Likes Search this Thread
03-31-2021, 07:21 PM   #16

Hey if you're done with that K-01, I'd be happy to take it off your hands!

03-31-2021, 07:42 PM - 1 Like   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TCSJordan Quote
Hey all! Turns out I still have an account here!
Cool! Believe it or not, I am a fan of y'all.

In regards to the SR for video. The K-3 (my camera) is the first model I remember where a fuss was made regarding the SR in movie mode. I couldn't find anything about video SR on the K-01, K-30, or K-50 other than it was quiet. That said, there is a smattering of comments on this site's forums that mention the change and that I read today after I posted. Mea culpa FWIW...I don't use SR for video...I go old school and don't share the results.

On to use of your Hollywood SMC 28/2.0 and K-01 video, there probably was some secret sauce that was missing. PF member @PiDicus Rex; is a big fan of the K-01 for cinematography and shot the short below with a mix of Pentax-M and Pentax-A lenses on a K-01. He may have neutered the Pentax-M glass or perhaps he knows some other secret, I dunno. I am pretty up on vintage lens compatibility issues and if the K01 is not compatible for video with K/M series lenses, it is new to me.

Steve
03-31-2021, 08:44 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Based on actual field experience, right? That's OK...I have zero experience with a K-01 except for handling one in the store before buying my K-3.

I would expect that at least one forum member that has used a K-01 to make some rather compelling videos will chime in on this thread.

Edit: I suspect that Jordan might have benefited from a short tutorial, particularly in regards to use of legacy lenses. I suspect that the aperture ring was not enabled and even if so, moving to M mode might have allowed lens stop-down. (I don't have a K-01 at hand and can't confirm.) I would also note that Jordan might have had jello, it was not due to the mechanical SR system. As for the sound recording...don't blame the tools when you did not test your kit before heading out the door.

Steve
Forget it, I should have known better...

Last edited by Qwntm; 03-31-2021 at 08:53 PM.
04-01-2021, 12:35 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
We will definitely be reviewing, we're just in talks with Ricoh now about how soon we can get one.
OK, now I am embarrassed. Apologies for the slight. It was based on the review of the year where the name "Pentax" is dismissed like something from a Kinder egg. I know, once you review the cameras you love them (K1, K3, K70, ..... KP not so much ... But I bought one anyway) and the review videos with Chris Nichols are extremely good and fair, I just wish you would treat any mention of the brand name a little less mockingly because it leads me to speaking in Anglo Saxon and frightening the dog

---------- Post added 04-01-21 at 12:59 AM ----------

Hey all! Turns out I still have an account here!

For anyone saying we're just ganging up on Pentax, we asked people on Twitter and YouTube which camera they would want to see me challenged to shoot video with. "A Pentax Camera" was the most popular response, with the K-01 being the most requested single model. I do as the people ask.

Jordon Duck
This comes as no surprise. You guys have rightly been pointing out about Pentax's poor video for ever, so the most unusual pentax was bound to come up. If you asked what to use for street, I would imagine large format would feature. This is just another example of Sony, Canon and nikon users laughing at the little guy, right up to the point where the shutter bricks the camera (Sony A7iii) or the back of the camera fries your face. Hands up, we suck at video but nobody's perfect. Doesn't really matter. I bet you got way more likes than dislikes so...... You can't please everyone and I am looking forward to the K3ii review 😁

04-01-2021, 01:48 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

An old thread on manual lenses for video with the k01.
Pentax K-01 : Problem in video mode with manual lenses - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com
04-01-2021, 05:45 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-01 video on DPreview

DPReview TV: How a crappy camera made Jordan a better videographer: Digital Photography Review
04-01-2021, 06:57 AM - 1 Like   #22
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I did my best to represent that.
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I just wish you would treat any mention of the brand name a little less mockingly
Exactly this @Cerebum ^^^
Even if @TCSJordan reviewed the K-3 III, I would have a hard time taking what he says seriously, because he doesn't take Pentax seriously.

04-01-2021, 07:02 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not the biggest fan of the K-01, but crappy? It is sad when people have to use those titles to create controversy.
04-01-2021, 07:06 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-01 took some beautiful thumbnail photos, but the video quality and especially shooting experience is terrible. I did my best to represent that.

Jordon Duck
I struggled with the original videos - because you had done an amazing job hiding the major issues. The explanatory video helped. I still didn’t really see a lot of the problem without stopping and looking at frames. The motion and the casual way I view video just doesn’t lead to much critical viewing - for me video is rarely something I look at image quality in. Note that I’m not saying a very badly preserved 8mm doesn’t look worse than a modern 4k rig, just that quality is very relative in video vs stills. Seeing this through your eyes was useful.
04-01-2021, 07:09 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For anyone saying we're just ganging up on Pentax, we asked people on Twitter and YouTube which camera they would want to see me challenged to shoot video with. "A Pentax Camera" was the most popular response, with the K-01 being the most requested single model. I do as the people ask.
At least I didn't say you were ganging up on Pentax - I said you picked low hanging fruit.
You know well and good that the K-01 wasn't even designed as a video camera and would be 'a challenge' for you to shoot video with... you didn't need to ask your echo chamber of Pentax-haters which one would be 'a challenge'.
Your video was an appeal to a toxic community.

Last edited by FozzFoster; 04-01-2021 at 08:10 AM.
04-01-2021, 07:20 AM   #26
Pentaxian

He was just talking about it's video.
04-01-2021, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why he did this now? Or this is his hobby to review nine-ten years old gear?
04-01-2021, 08:07 AM   #28
Pentaxian

If DPReview TV reached 300,000 subscribers, Jordan promised to shoot four episodes on the K-01 vs. the usual Panasonic gear. As for why he chose this particular Pentax model vs. any other camera from that period, maybe he and Chris just enjoy kicking the Pentaxian hornet's nest.

FYI, DPReview gave the K-01 a 69% rating at the end of their review of the camera, vs. 83% for the K-5. For comparison, PentaxForums gave the K-01 an 8.0 rating vs. an 8.3 rating for the K-5.
04-01-2021, 08:19 AM   #29
JPT
Pentaxian

We will definitely be reviewing, we're just in talks with Ricoh now about how soon we can get one.
Thanks. I'll look forward to seeing that.
04-01-2021, 08:25 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ecostigny Quote
If DPReview TV reached 300,000 subscribers, Jordan promised to shoot four episodes on the K-01 vs. the usual Panasonic gear. As for why he chose this particular Pentax model vs. any other camera from that period, maybe he and Chris just enjoy kicking the Pentaxian hornet's nest.
The k-01 was the most requested Pentax by their viewers for this.