Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 131 Likes Search this Thread
04-02-2021, 12:12 AM - 4 Likes   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I wached this video. Bash a stills camera that has video and is years old. Duh, then act serious.

04-02-2021, 12:38 AM - 3 Likes   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TCSJordan Quote
I had the K-01 video edited and scheduled before I knew the K3 III announcement date. It's just a happy coincidence that there was so much Pentax content on DPR that day.

As mentioned elsewhere, the idea was for the viewers to pick a camera that would be a challenge for me to get good video with. Viewers chose Pentax, with the K-01 being the most mentioned single model. We had no intention of 'trolling' a particular brand. However, the K-01 was an incredibly difficult camera to work with, so if the intention was to struggle with a bad tool for the job, the K-01 was a great choice.
Its hard to paint it as anything other than brand bashing but its done, and the K-01 was perfect for your needs. We aren't fanboys incapable of accepting a bad review but this wasn't that. All we ask is for a nice, comprehensive and fair review, for good or Ill, without preconceptions. Do that and you're welcome here anytime
04-02-2021, 01:48 AM - 3 Likes   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The one type of YouTube vid I can't reconcile is when a former Pentaxian and PF member uses his channel to slag pentax. John J Bloomfield is one I avoid. He has moved to Sony but in his last two videos he outlined why he was moving from the K1, in which the K1 very much came second, and "Pentax News" in which he floated theories about the reason and duration for the K3iii delay (all proved wrong), voiced his intense dislike of the 31mm limited and was extremely scathing about the J Limited K1s and the thinking behind them. He is completely entitled to his opinions, as am I. I just feel that Pentax gets enough bashing from flat track bullies without one of the pentax community joining in, so, I am not saying don't watch his channel, just that I never will again.
04-02-2021, 08:47 PM - 4 Likes   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ricoh could probably make some good money selling Pentax-branded torches and pitchforks.

04-02-2021, 11:58 PM - 6 Likes   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Ricoh could probably make some good money selling Pentax-branded torches and pitchforks.

Pentax

For the times when you need it

Never be without one

Also check out our selection of
Off With Her Head Guillotines when only the best will do.

( sorry not available in France)
04-03-2021, 12:28 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I take exception to the language used in this video - can you imagine the words "absolute garbage" being used for any other brand?

Yes, the video and sound quality of the K01 is not wonderful - but "absolute garbage" it is not!
(Sigh, don't want to remove the shortcut to DPR, here are some useful pieces of information on this website - the brand-agnostic ones )
04-03-2021, 01:11 AM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vrphoto Quote
Sigh, don't want to remove the shortcut to DPR, here are some useful pieces of information on this website - the brand-agnostic ones
Some interesting articles:
Most consumers brand agnostic | Store Brands
DPreviev - Hasselblad XCD 45P F4 vs. SMC Pentax-FA 645 75mm F2.8 - PentaxForums.com

04-03-2021, 03:08 AM - 1 Like   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think it is more than click bait kind of stuff. Have you all never seen stuff from Buzz Feed? "16 actors who now work 9 to 5 jobs (number 11 will shock you)!"

The whole point of these sorts of things is to have some unusual premise (shooting a video with a difficult camera) and then put a title to it that attracts attention -- "How Pentax's crappy video..."

The whole point was to get clicks and people to sign up for their site. I don't think this is evidence of Pentax hatred, but it is definitely easiest to pick on the smallest kid in the school -- choose a Sony A7 or some similar vintage camera and post the title "How Sony's crappy video made me a better man!" and see who comes out of the wood work.
04-03-2021, 05:33 AM - 1 Like   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't think it is more than click bait kind of stuff. Have you all never seen stuff from Buzz Feed? "16 actors who now work 9 to 5 jobs (number 11 will shock you)!"

The whole point of these sorts of things is to have some unusual premise (shooting a video with a difficult camera) and then put a title to it that attracts attention -- "How Pentax's crappy video..."

The whole point was to get clicks and people to sign up for their site. I don't think this is evidence of Pentax hatred, but it is definitely easiest to pick on the smallest kid in the school -- choose a Sony A7 or some similar vintage camera and post the title "How Sony's crappy video made me a better man!" and see who comes out of the wood work.
Maybe you should do a spoof one, then sit back and watch as the heads explode.
04-03-2021, 05:46 AM - 1 Like   #55
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The Scowl

"Interesting" decision by DPR to let a scowl at a Pentax become a lasting image at the bottom of upcoming articles on Pentax K-3III.
Attached Images

04-03-2021, 06:38 AM - 3 Likes   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
It is an integral part of being a Pentaxian to take every perceived slight as a moral affront worthy of dueling pistols at dawn. Jordon was good enough to come here a post an explanation that this was a fun challenge to see what old, non-video camera he could try to shoot video with, on the suggestion of their viewers. When it turned out to be a Pentax of course the response was seething rage.

There are many Pentaxians who put on gloves every morning just to be prepared to methodically take them off and slap someone with them.
04-03-2021, 09:46 AM - 3 Likes   #57
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Jordon was good enough to come here a post an explanation that this was a fun challenge to see what old, non-video camera he could try to shoot video with.
Your explanation, then, begs that the proposition and conclusion should have been more professional: "If you want to do video with an older, non-video camera, this set of approaches and equipment are what you will need." And not "Pentax K-01 is a crappy camera." DPR even made the lede image and thumbnail a scowl at the camera, when it should have been something like the array of adjunct equipment needed. The entire episode was unprofessionally handled.
04-03-2021, 09:54 AM - 1 Like   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is an integral part of being a Pentaxian to take every perceived slight as a moral affront worthy of dueling pistols at dawn. Jordon was good enough to come here a post an explanation that this was a fun challenge to see what old, non-video camera he could try to shoot video with, on the suggestion of their viewers. When it turned out to be a Pentax of course the response was seething rage.

There are many Pentaxians who put on gloves every morning just to be prepared to methodically take them off and slap someone with them.
Lol, very true, but you could probably say the same about canon, Nikon or Sony users.

I do appreciate Jordan coming on, he didn't need to, and his replies have been both brave and interesting
04-03-2021, 09:59 AM - 4 Likes   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Where's the improved technique?

Apart from the criticism of the K-01, the title of the video says "How ... made Jordan a better videographer."

I am unable to understand from the video in what ways Jordan improved as a videographer. There are several brief mentions of basic approaches taken to overcome the weaknesses of the K-01 (e.g., add artificial lighting), and some glib commentary about the ease of using modern cameras. However, there is virtually no explanation of how he became a 'better' videographer, nor does he explain or give examples of an improved skill or technique.

It seems that the ostensible intention of the title is lost to a primary focus on the "crappy camera."

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 04-03-2021 at 05:38 PM.
04-04-2021, 12:58 PM - 4 Likes   #60
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It is an integral part of being a Pentaxian to take every perceived slight as a moral affront worthy of dueling pistols at dawn.
...So it seems, and even more so if the slight involves the K-01.

To be honest, I don't think "crappy camera" was the proper wording; "primitive video" would have been more accurate and much less judgemental and more in tune with the actual content of the video.

To continue being honest, I have been taken aback at how readily personal attack was directed against Jordan as a forum member on this thread. Before their employment with dpreview, both Jordan and Chris were popular on this site and generally held in good favor. Yes, some of their content took a dive with the change, particularly the end-of-year wrap ups, but overall I have found little to provoke offense in their reviews.

Looking forward, members on this site might want to get used to reviews of the K-3iii that praise it for being possibly the best APS-C dSLR ever while at the same time pointing out that the unless that is what you need, your $2000 USD might be better spent elsewhere.

Steve

(...shields UP!!! ....)