Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2021, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
but also ask your followers which one would be 'challenging' and then switch it for 'crappy' in your video title... smh so dishonest
It's clear that, regardless of how it started, it ultimately was presented in an unprofessional way.

04-15-2021, 10:59 AM - 4 Likes   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
If Jordan ever actually takes the time to read some of the posts on the videos, he'd find I left comprehensive instructions on how to get good quality vision from the K-01.

Sure, I have a unique perspective, but used correctly, the K-01 video is far supperior to the Canon 7D, 5DMk2, 6D of the era.
Nikons and Sony's were non-starters for video when the K-01 was released, and the GH-2 was the king of video, but only because Panasonic had really good marketing and support of video and cinema owners.

Frankly, Jordan should stick to filming on overpriced toys, he's no longer got a baseline reference of what it's like to shoot when you don't have corporate backing.

Reading many of the comments on this post reminds me, that there's a lot of people here who 'don't use video on DSLR',.. but feel entitled to espouse their Oh-So-Important opinions on video,.. Having to see that over and over is why I rarely post here anymore, as one of the few people who has used Pentax products SOLELY for video, I can be completely honest in telling everyone,....

If You Can't Get Good Video From a Pentax, It's Not The Camera, It's You.

---------- Post added 16-04-21 at 04:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TCSJordan Quote
Hey all! Turns out I still have an account here!
That's a shame,.... You clearly haven't used it to read any of the many posts on getting good quality video out of the K-01.

I had a 'Hollywood' 28mm F2.0 that I was really excited to use as a standard lens. However, even when the aperture ring was enabled in the menu, that only allowed it to stop down when shooting stills. In video mode it was always stuck wide open no matter what the aperture ring was set to. Same with my old K-Mount 50mm. Screw mount would have worked, however I did not have access to any of those lenses.
Wrong. Update the Firmware to V1.3 or beyond and try again, and make sure the "Exposure Setting" in the Video menu is set to M, for Manual, and not Program or Aperture Priority.

The K-01 and many Pentax cameras disable the mechanical SR when shooting video and use a terrible digital SR that leads to the artifacts seen. It looks like the K3 Mark III will use the mechanical SR, so I'm curious how it will perform.

For anyone saying we're just ganging up on Pentax, we asked people on Twitter and YouTube which camera they would want to see me challenged to shoot video with. "A Pentax Camera" was the most popular response, with the K-01 being the most requested single model. I do as the people ask.

The K-01 took some beautiful thumbnail photos, but the video quality and especially shooting experience is terrible. I did my best to represent that.
Timeline is incorrect - Pentax's K-5 and K-5ii had Very Good sensor shifting based stabilisation, it was disabled after that because according to 'customer feedback reports' it could be heard on video recordings.... No mention of screw drive motor, just the sensor shifting,... IMHO, their sensor supplier may have pressured them to turn it off, as it was technology they couldn't offer on their own routinely overheating DSLR's.

It's still there on ALL Pentax DSLR's, and can be demonstrated by using Live View for Stills and having the Sensor Shift set to Always On,.. so if the HDMI wasn't screwed and locked to 1080i30 on the DSLR's (720i60 when you hit record,..) one would be able to record the near steadicam like quality of handheld video, as was possible on the K-5's.

The K-3iii marks the 'return' of properly stabilized video.

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 04-15-2021 at 11:51 AM.
04-15-2021, 12:11 PM - 3 Likes   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Cool! Believe it or not, I am a fan of y'all.

In regards to the SR for video. The K-3 (my camera) is the first model I remember where a fuss was made regarding the SR in movie mode. I couldn't find anything about video SR on the K-01, K-30, or K-50 other than it was quiet. That said, there is a smattering of comments on this site's forums that mention the change and that I read today after I posted. Mea culpa FWIW...I don't use SR for video...I go old school and don't share the results.

On to use of your Hollywood SMC 28/2.0 and K-01 video, there probably was some secret sauce that was missing. PF member @PiDicus Rex; is a big fan of the K-01 for cinematography and shot the short below with a mix of Pentax-M and Pentax-A lenses on a K-01. He may have neutered the Pentax-M glass or perhaps he knows some other secret, I dunno. I am pretty up on vintage lens compatibility issues and if the K01 is not compatible for video with K/M series lenses, it is new to me.

Steve
he he he,... that links still kicking around here? Yah, secret sauce, and plenty of discussions on it here, and I left a post of instructional tips on the DPReview video where they said they'd be shooting on K-01, and on one of the subsequent videos, but seeing no change in competency level, I didn't watch past the start of the second. There wasn't much point given all the mistakes being made over and over regarding exposure. I highly expect DPR is editing in FCP-X, which will just clip the footage, unlike Resolve or GV Edius - the latter is very good with Pentax video.

I don't use the K-01 for too many corporate, commercial or music productions any more, but it's still fabulous for behind scenes stuff and artistic photographic shoots, I'll be using both of mine to do some Steroescopic stills before long. My collection of FF and MF Primes finds more use on the front of my AJA Cion for a lot of that stuff now, or on my VG900E for streaming in Zoom, Teams, Streamyard, etc, while I do sports streaming on Hikvision cameras for fixed cams in places you can put operators, and a Canon XL-H1 recording to Atomos Shogun for single cam streams.

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 04-15-2021 at 12:26 PM.
04-15-2021, 04:39 PM   #79
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
If Jordan ever actually takes the time to read some of the posts on the videos, he'd find I left comprehensive instructions on how to get good quality vision from the K-01.
On his first video taken with K-01?

04-15-2021, 04:46 PM   #80
Pentaxian

Sure, I have a unique perspective, but used correctly, the K-01 video is far supperior to the Canon 7D, 5DMk2, 6D of the era.
Nikons and Sony's were non-starters for video when the K-01 was released, and the GH-2 was the king of video, but only because Panasonic had really good marketing and support of video and cinema owners.

Frankly, Jordan should stick to filming on overpriced toys, he's no longer got a baseline reference of what it's like to shoot when you don't have corporate backing.

Reading many of the comments on this post reminds me, that there's a lot of people here who 'don't use video on DSLR',.. but feel entitled to espouse their Oh-So-Important opinions on video,.. Having to see that over and over is why I rarely post here anymore, as one of the few people who has used Pentax products SOLELY for video, I can be completely honest in telling everyone,....

If You Can't Get Good Video From a Pentax, It's Not The Camera, It's You.

---------- Post added 16-04-21 at 04:46 AM ----------

That's a shame,.... You clearly haven't used it to read any of the many posts on getting good quality video out of the K-01.

Wrong. Update the Firmware to V1.3 or beyond and try again, and make sure the "Exposure Setting" in the Video menu is set to M, for Manual, and not Program or Aperture Priority.

Timeline is incorrect - Pentax's K-5 and K-5ii had Very Good sensor shifting based stabilisation, it was disabled after that because according to 'customer feedback reports' it could be heard on video recordings.... No mention of screw drive motor, just the sensor shifting,... IMHO, their sensor supplier may have pressured them to turn it off, as it was technology they couldn't offer on their own routinely overheating DSLR's.

It's still there on ALL Pentax DSLR's, and can be demonstrated by using Live View for Stills and having the Sensor Shift set to Always On,.. so if the HDMI wasn't screwed and locked to 1080i30 on the DSLR's (720i60 when you hit record,..) one would be able to record the near steadicam like quality of handheld video, as was possible on the K-5's.

The K-3iii marks the 'return' of properly stabilized video.
Astounding. Thanks, PiDicus Rex, for posting this clarifying information -- a reminder, in your case, because you HAD posted the information before -- on how to shoot video properly with a K-01, if that's what one simply MUST do. I had mentioned that the DPRTV thing was very unprofessional, and now I'm simply shocked at it. Crappy. The latter versions of K-01 firmware have been available all along, with v.1.5 still available today.

Last edited by Marktax; 04-15-2021 at 04:59 PM.
04-15-2021, 10:38 PM   #81
Veteran Member

No, the one where they announced they were about to shoot on K-01.
(Just went and looked quickly, can't even recall which video that was, but noted there are a lot with Comments Disabled.)

---------- Post added 16-04-21 at 03:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
Astounding. Thanks, PiDicus Rex, for posting this clarifying information -- a reminder, in your case, because you HAD posted the information before -- on how to shoot video properly with a K-01, if that's what one simply MUST do. I had mentioned that the DPRTV thing was very unprofessional, and now I'm simply shocked at it. Crappy. The latter versions of K-01 firmware have been available all along, with v.1.5 still available today.

Thankyou, but I think I may have added confusion with the firmware reference - v1.3 onwards, the ISO ramping when in Manual Video Exposure, was finally disabled by Pentax - v1, 1.1, 1.2, when you opened or closed the IRIS, the ISO compensated to maintain exposure, much as it still does if using a Manual lens and having the "Exposure Setting" under the Video menu set to Program or Aperture Priority.

v1.3 onwards, with Exposure Setting set to Manual, when you move the Iris ring, the exposure changes, same as after pressing record, using the +/- button on the top to shift from Shutter Speed selection to Iris selection for the dial control, the Iris will stop down or up at user command.

In a reply to a Youtube comment, Jordan shows he's misunderstood the "Using Aperture Ring" setting for this function, where the only thing that does is allow the shutter to fire or recording to start with lenses not in the "A" position for KA lenses, or at any Iris position for K and KM lenses, or any lens attached with mechanical adapter, such as the P67-to-K adapter.

He also stated the camera used is on v1.5 firmware, the last firmware issued, so the behaviour he's seeing means the Exposure Setting in Video Menu is incorrectly chosen for what he assumed would be normal behavior with manual lenses, rather then the Ease Of Use behaviour the Pentax engineers created for 'average' buyers who more often then not shoot on full auto.

NOTE
: Craig PM'd me and checked firmware numbers, and yes, v1.03, v1.05 are the correct number sequences.

K-01 Firmware can be found at the link below, but note also, the changelog items, are not the full list of changes made, especially regarding v1.03.

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/digital/k-01_s.html

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 04-15-2021 at 11:03 PM.
04-16-2021, 08:02 PM - 1 Like   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After reading through this thread, I'm just dying to see the DPRTV review of the K-3 III.

04-17-2021, 01:14 PM - 3 Likes   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't think he was interested in the camera, it was just a prop to poke fun at
04-17-2021, 02:21 PM   #84
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I don't think he was interested in the camera, it was just a prop to poke fun at
Correct, unfortunately.
04-17-2021, 10:39 PM - 1 Like   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have actually, to this date, never used the video option on any of my cameras, except by accident
04-19-2021, 05:56 AM - 1 Like   #86
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have actually, to this date, never used the video option on any of my cameras, except by accident
That’s what the cellphone is for right?
04-19-2021, 06:37 AM   #87
Veteran Member

Then answer this for me - Why do you think you're qualified to pass judgement, or comment on, the video functions, if you've never used them?
04-19-2021, 06:48 AM - 2 Likes   #88
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Then answer this for me - Why do you think you're qualified to pass judgement, or comment on, the video functions, if you've never used them?
Never been to the moon - still believe it exists...?
04-19-2021, 08:56 AM - 4 Likes   #89
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Never been to the moon - still believe it exists...?
One thing that has always bothered me about the moon is that it should be smoother.

Steve
04-19-2021, 09:10 AM - 3 Likes   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ooooh that's unnecessarily confrontational lol

you will find I preface most of my comments in this regard with "by all accounts".

I also frequently admit to being wrong.

I am no expert, I have also said that a lot, I am just participating in a friendly chat with my mates so please can we keep it that way. If my phrasing has suggested I consider myself knowledgeable in this subject, then I apologise for the confusion. Please can we leave it at that.

---------- Post added 19-04-21 at 09:12 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
One thing that has always bothered me about the moon is that it should be smoother.

Steve
You aren't expounding your cheese theory again are you? I have told you before, Wallace and Gromit isn't real