Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 131 Likes Search this Thread
04-20-2021, 08:09 AM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
No, the one where they announced they were about to shoot on K-01.
(Just went and looked quickly, can't even recall which video that was, but noted there are a lot with Comments Disabled.)

---------- Post added 16-04-21 at 03:51 PM ----------

Thankyou, but I think I may have added confusion with the firmware reference - v1.3 onwards, the ISO ramping when in Manual Video Exposure, was finally disabled by Pentax - v1, 1.1, 1.2, when you opened or closed the IRIS, the ISO compensated to maintain exposure, much as it still does if using a Manual lens and having the "Exposure Setting" under the Video menu set to Program or Aperture Priority.

v1.3 onwards, with Exposure Setting set to Manual, when you move the Iris ring, the exposure changes, same as after pressing record, using the +/- button on the top to shift from Shutter Speed selection to Iris selection for the dial control, the Iris will stop down or up at user command.

In a reply to a Youtube comment, Jordan shows he's misunderstood the "Using Aperture Ring" setting for this function,
Has anyone seen an editorial correction to the "crappy" video based on this information?

04-20-2021, 08:40 AM   #92
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
Has anyone seen an editorial correction to the "crappy" video based on this information?
I won't even bother to look. The whole thing was a gag, and insider joke at that between the 2 of them, although it wound up being a barbed one since the age of the camera wasn't underlined as it should have been.
04-21-2021, 02:04 AM   #93
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Next video should be how a crappy Honda made me a better location scout. The Honda Civic type r may be the fastest front-wheel-drive car to ever lap the famed Nurburgring. But it doesn't even have an automatic transmission. I couldn't stop on hills because it was impossible to get going again with constant stalls and rolling backwards. I basically had to get going on the highway and stay at speed. Only then could I look for locations.
04-21-2021, 11:16 PM - 1 Like   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Never been to the moon - still believe it exists...?
Oh, look, you're so witty, my hero.

Now, would any of you who don't use video like to try answer the question, or keep being opinionated about something you don't know about ?

04-21-2021, 11:58 PM - 1 Like   #95
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Next video should be how a crappy Honda made me a better location scout. The Honda Civic type r may be the fastest front-wheel-drive car to ever lap the famed Nurburgring. But it doesn't even have an automatic transmission. I couldn't stop on hills because it was impossible to get going again with constant stalls and rolling backwards. I basically had to get going on the highway and stay at speed. Only then could I look for locations.
There's hill start assist on the 10th-gen manual Civics! Definitely needed that when I was learning to drive stick hahaha
04-22-2021, 06:34 AM   #96
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
or keep being opinionated about something you don't know about ?
Your assertion that I must use something before passing judgement (or even know about) is beyond reproach.
Example: never done hard drugs - I know they are bad. See?

But I've seen enough examples, there has been enough word of mouth, for me to understand without having to try it myself.

Did I hold your hand through that one well enough? Get it now?
04-22-2021, 06:48 AM - 2 Likes   #97
Loyal Site Supporter

Bit of a chill pill needed here today, as a friendly reminder from your mod. Let's ratchet this back, please.

But, speaking as one who now needs to both shoot and edit video, it is a different animal, and I don't trust a lot of what I see as examples. Just sayin'. Does help to actually be doing the work to make judgements. But it's not necessary to get all testy about it.

Here's an example: gimbals. The examples you mostly see are action oriented, 1, and edited, 2. In editing there's adjustments that can be made for wobbles and shakes, so, was that done? You're never told. And on the first point, using a gimbal to shoot a skateboarder is very different than trying to use one for sloooow follows on large dimensional artworks in a museum. No one talks about slow and how hard that is. You have to find out through personal pain and frustration, as stupid me did....

04-22-2021, 09:13 AM   #98
Pentaxian

This thread is talking about how people who have never used a Pentax K01 and watch the video will unjustly come to "know" the K01 is a crappy video camera. Then by extension "know" Pentax is crappy and speak with their knowledge w/o using a Pentax.
At the same time it doesn't mean you don't know anything. Even experts are wrong and novice's insights can be quite illuminating.
Edit: if someone was handed a k01 for the first time they would be able to make a video. How could they if they don't know how? You have to know some. In fact the only way would be by accident which I confess I have done a few times. And with my Canon xl2s I didn't make a once in a lifetime video by accident.😣

Last edited by swanlefitte; 04-22-2021 at 09:27 AM.
04-23-2021, 07:30 AM   #99
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
But it doesn't even have an automatic transmission. I couldn't stop on hills because it was impossible to get going again with constant stalls and rolling backwards.
There are two ways to manage three pedals .

One is to use your right foot to work the gas and brake simultaneously. I use my heel on the brake pedal, and my toe on the gas. Works perfectly.

Another way is to pull up on the parking brake handle (use my thumb to hold the button in so the handle moves freely), move the right foot from the brake to the gas and then ease the clutch out while applying gas. As the car starts to move forward let the parking brake off.

Easy squeezy, no pan, no stain.

It is my personal opinion that no one should be allowed a drivers license until they can demonstrate proficiency at operating a motor vehicle with a manual transmission. Anyone can jump in and drop a lever into D and go, it takes little, if any skill to do so.

Driving a motor vehicle is serious business, and the automatic transmission has enabled those who don’t possess the skills to drive, making the highways a more dangerous place than it needs to be.
04-23-2021, 07:55 AM - 1 Like   #100
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
It is my personal opinion that no one should be allowed a drivers license until they can demonstrate proficiency at operating a motor vehicle with a manual transmission. Anyone can jump in and drop a lever into D and go, it takes little, if any skill to do so.

Driving a motor vehicle is serious business, and the automatic transmission has enabled those who don’t possess the skills to drive, making the highways a more dangerous place than it needs to be.
I've driven mostly manual transmission cars for the past 30 years. I love it, it's fun, it's engaging. But I think your statement is not realistic in today's world. Easily 90%+ of cars sold in the US are automatics. There are entire brands that no longer sell a single manual in the US. The 2021- Corvette doesn't even offer a manual. Audi dropped manuals 3-4 years ago. Mercedes hasn't offered a manual in the US in almost a decade. Even among economy cars many more don't offer manuals than do. Electric cars gain market share all the time, and the only manuals you ever see there will be exceptionally rare, weird unicorns.

My 12-year-old son is really into cars and wants desperately to learn to drive manual. He has an XBOX setup with three pedals for racing. But I expect there won't be five people in his graduating class that will know how to drive a manual.
04-23-2021, 08:00 AM - 2 Likes   #101
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Your assertion that I must use something before passing judgement (or even know about) is beyond reproach.
Example: never done hard drugs - I know they are bad. See?

But I've seen enough examples, there has been enough word of mouth, for me to understand without having to try it myself.

Did I hold your hand through that one well enough? Get it now?
I think the point is simply that if Jordan was really interested in figuring out how to use a K-01 effectively he should have reached out to folks who have done so. That's probably a difficult thing since PiDicusRex is about the only one I know of who has done that. If you haven't done your homework it is hard to blame a ten year old camera for all of your struggles.

(My impression is that this was mostly a joke that wasn't particularly funny, but less so to Pentaxians than to others).

Last edited by Rondec; 04-23-2021 at 08:52 AM.
04-23-2021, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #102
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Another way is to pull up on the parking brake handle (use my thumb to hold the button in so the handle moves freely), move the right foot from the brake to the gas and then ease the clutch out while applying gas. As the car starts to move forward let the parking brake off.
Drive a manual transmission in Seattle's core and this trick is a life-saver. I have used it multiple times. There is a parking brake pedal variant*, but it is less cool.

Steve

* Does not work well with the press to set, press to release versions...
04-23-2021, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #103
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Drive a manual transmission in Seattle's core and this trick is a life-saver. I have used it multiple times. There is a parking brake pedal variant*, but it is less cool.

Steve

04-23-2021, 12:13 PM - 1 Like   #104
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve

Newer manuals such as my '14 Audi have hill hold, so the car is nice enough to use the (parking?) brake to make sure you don't roll backwards on a hill. You don't even have to ask.
04-23-2021, 01:02 PM - 1 Like   #105
Pentaxian

After a few long red lights on a hill the parking brake is "automatic". "Oh what a cute dog in the truck two lanes over. The cars are going. Wait, I am rolling back. Oh crap I let off the pressure on my brake. Here, the parking brake is on and I can let my mind wander for the 5 minute wait for this light to change."