Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2021, 01:06 PM   #1
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: mid nth coast,nsw
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,608
JordonDucks CroPPY video about Pentax video.

.............


03-31-2021, 01:36 PM   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter
FozzFoster's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Alberta
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,739
man lots of video cameras sucked back then and Pentax wasn't trying to impress any 'videographers'.
and I think Jordan knows that. they're just pickin the low hanging fruit at this point.

too bad man, I'm from High River just south of Calgary where these guys are from (TheCameraStore; before the sell out).
Their K-S2 review video was one of many reasons I was sold on Pentax and I really appreciated their honest content back then.
Just seems they gone for the click-bait now :/
03-31-2021, 01:46 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Qwntm's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Eastern Oregon
Posts: 805
And to sum up the K-01 video capabilities: "Hot garbage."


Fun camera, probably beautiful stills, but I'd say I agree with Jordans summation of the video.


The new K3 Mark III has 1 page dedicated to video in the user manual. I'm not optimistic, but hoping to be pleasantly surprised.
03-31-2021, 01:52 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Wasp's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Pretoria
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,604
Well, they did make four episodes with it. The video does explain the reasons for the headline.

03-31-2021, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,308
This was a helpful explanation of the behind the scenes bits used to make the videos better. However I think the fact is most of us (here at least, but probably also a wider audience) view video with a completely different eye than video. I donít see much quality when I see video. My brain doesnít get obsessive and try to compare the quality to still images I make. I just donít really ever care. I have two TVs that I watch one has bad backlighting on 1/4 of the screen. This is clearly visible when the picture is black. Another is perfectly fine and has nearly 4x resolution in the same size. I rarely notice. I donít have a 4K tc and if I did I wouldnít really care. I donít say this as if stills were better, but they are appreciated by me in a different way. I scan the image multiple times and peer at certain parts to see more detail. I am much more passive with video.

Put the k01 on the big screen in a theatre and I might notice. But at home on computer monitor or phone or tv... video is just sort of not at a level of scrutiny that would reveal the quality.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 04-01-2021 at 06:55 AM.
03-31-2021, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #6
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter
FozzFoster's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Alberta
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,739
I don't see the Rebel T4i blowing our socks off...
but it's Pentax so it's funny, right?
pfft...
03-31-2021, 02:52 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Lancaster
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,597
When it comes to pentax, this guy is a prat, taking cheap shots at the company prior to a decent review. They have liked most cameras and yet pentax is a joke to him. His opinion is made utterly worthless by his inability to be objective. I don't think this video will have any impact on pentax, I just wish they would grow up!
03-31-2021, 03:20 PM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,352
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
Fun camera, probably beautiful stills, but I'd say I agree with Jordans summation of the video.
Based on actual field experience, right? That's OK...I have zero experience with a K-01 except for handling one in the store before buying my K-3.

I would expect that at least one forum member that has used a K-01 to make some rather compelling videos will chime in on this thread.

Edit: I suspect that Jordan might have benefited from a short tutorial, particularly in regards to use of legacy lenses. I suspect that the aperture ring was not enabled and even if so, moving to M mode might have allowed lens stop-down. (I don't have a K-01 at hand and can't confirm.) I would also note that Jordan might have had jello, it was not due to the mechanical SR system. As for the sound recording...don't blame the tools when you did not test your kit before heading out the door.


Steve


Last edited by stevebrot; 03-31-2021 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Completeness.
03-31-2021, 03:41 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
c.a.m's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,981
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
The new K3 Mark III has 1 page dedicated to video in the user manual. I'm not optimistic, but hoping to be pleasantly surprised.
You may have missed a few pages.

Operating Manual, English Version (as linked by @angerdan in another thread. This version appears to be preliminary because there are alphanumeric placeholders for many symbols):

Recording movies: pp. 54-56
Movie Mode AE, p. 64
Editing movies: p. 96
Movie Capture Settings: p. 49
Movie Setting Menus: p. 25-27

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 03-31-2021 at 04:12 PM.
03-31-2021, 03:47 PM   #10
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Baltimore
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,200
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
You may have missed a few pages.

Operating Manual, English Version (as linked by @angerdan in another thread. This version appears to be preliminary because the usual symbols have not replaced the alphanumeric placeholders):

Recording movies: pp. 54-56
Movie Mode AE, p. 64
Editing movies: p. 96
Movie Capture Settings: p. 49
Movie Setting Menus: p. 25-27

- Craig
Whew! That comment got me worried, so thanks for this. Although honestly, this points out something I have against all manuals: Important info for something scattered all about. Is it really so hard to put it all in one spot (even if it's duplicated elsewhere?)?
03-31-2021, 03:54 PM   #11
Pentaxian
angerdan's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,938
Is it just another attempt of dpreview bashing Pentax or has the video more substance than this (like honest and constructive critics) ?
03-31-2021, 04:49 PM - 8 Likes   #12
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 97
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Edit: I suspect that Jordan might have benefited from a short tutorial, particularly in regards to use of legacy lenses. I suspect that the aperture ring was not enabled and even if so, moving to M mode might have allowed lens stop-down. (I don't have a K-01 at hand and can't confirm. I would also note that Jordan might have had jello, it was not due to the mechanical SR system. As for the sound recording...don't blame the tools when you did not test your kit before heading out the door.


Steve
Hey all! Turns out I still have an account here!

I had a 'Hollywood' 28mm F2.0 that I was really excited to use as a standard lens. However, even when the aperture ring was enabled in the menu, that only allowed it to stop down when shooting stills. In video mode it was always stuck wide open no matter what the aperture ring was set to. Same with my old K-Mount 50mm. Screw mount would have worked, however I did not have access to any of those lenses.

The K-01 and many Pentax cameras disable the mechanical SR when shooting video and use a terrible digital SR that leads to the artifacts seen. It looks like the K3 Mark III will use the mechanical SR, so I'm curious how it will perform.

For anyone saying we're just ganging up on Pentax, we asked people on Twitter and YouTube which camera they would want to see me challenged to shoot video with. "A Pentax Camera" was the most popular response, with the K-01 being the most requested single model. I do as the people ask.

The K-01 took some beautiful thumbnail photos, but the video quality and especially shooting experience is terrible. I did my best to represent that.

Jordon Duck
03-31-2021, 05:38 PM   #13
JPT
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tokyo
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,886
QuoteOriginally posted by TCSJordan Quote
Hey all! Turns out I still have an account here!

I had a 'Hollywood' 28mm F2.0 that I was really excited to use as a standard lens. However, even when the aperture ring was enabled in the menu, that only allowed it to stop down when shooting stills. In video mode it was always stuck wide open no matter what the aperture ring was set to. Same with my old K-Mount 50mm. Screw mount would have worked, however I did not have access to any of those lenses.

The K-01 and many Pentax cameras disable the mechanical SR when shooting video and use a terrible digital SR that leads to the artifacts seen. It looks like the K3 Mark III will use the mechanical SR, so I'm curious how it will perform.

For anyone saying we're just ganging up on Pentax, we asked people on Twitter and YouTube which camera they would want to see me challenged to shoot video with. "A Pentax Camera" was the most popular response, with the K-01 being the most requested single model. I do as the people ask.

The K-01 took some beautiful thumbnail photos, but the video quality and especially shooting experience is terrible. I did my best to represent that.

Jordon Duck
I saw the videos as a bit of fun. Given that you usually make videos with up-to-date cameras costing many times more in the first place, it was kind of inevitable that the K-01 was a struggle to use. I like mine, but I've never tried to use it for video. I just took it on a lot of travels with the small limited lenses.

Are you going to be doing a video review of the K-3 Mark III any time soon? I think we're all very keen to see some impressions from people other than ambassadors.
03-31-2021, 05:40 PM   #14
Pentaxian
angerdan's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,938
Seems like Pentax finally starts to lead the DSLR market (APS-C, 35mm and 645).
An absolute piece of garbage... - PentaxForums.com
03-31-2021, 05:46 PM - 3 Likes   #15
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 97
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I saw the videos as a bit of fun. Given that you usually make videos with up-to-date cameras costing many times more in the first place, it was kind of inevitable that the K-01 was a struggle to use. I like mine, but I've never tried to use it for video. I just took it on a lot of travels with the small limited lenses.

Are you going to be doing a video review of the K-3 Mark III any time soon? I think we're all very keen to see some impressions from people other than ambassadors.
We will definitely be reviewing, we're just in talks with Ricoh now about how soon we can get one.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dpreview, experience, exposure, firmware, hdslr, jordonducks croppy video, k-01, k-01 video, lenses, mode, movie, movies, name, output, pentax, people, posts, quality, review, screw, sensor, sony, sr, version, video, video about pentax, videos
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hi i'm in to video these days,and love pentax,so which camera is best for video ? dr100hr Pentax DSLR Discussion 7 04-29-2015 04:49 PM
Shooting video with Pentax cameras. Tips, video looks, camera options, etc. JohnnyXD Video and Pentax HDSLRs 50 12-09-2014 09:53 PM
Will using the video-out when in video mode help conserve battery? greenless Pentax DSLR Discussion 2 12-14-2009 02:49 PM
Video but not the K-7. Looking for advice on a video camera Peter Zack Photographic Industry and Professionals 12 09-11-2009 05:24 PM
K-7 with 16-50, video from WhatDC, video from pentax Isaac314 Pentax News and Rumors 10 05-21-2009 11:11 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:15 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top