Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2021, 01:20 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Converting dSLR Movie File to B&W AVI (uncompressed) withoutn loss of resolution

Hi
I want to convert a series of movie files recorded with Pentax dSLRs into B&W AVI (uncompressed), without loss of resolution.

I have a series of movies recorded with a K-3 at 1920x1080 px (60 fps). I need to convert these to 1920x1080 px AVI (uncompressed) Black & White (+). I would appreciate any constructive hint/advice/suggestion

(+) For anyone interested, I will apply a technique call Optical Flow (OF) to derive a velocity field from a movie of water flow.

The software VirtualDub can filter the movie to grayscale (i.e. Black and White), but VirtuaDub does not read the K-3 movies. I tried to a few softwares to convert the .MOV files to .AVI, but I (so far) have a loss of resolution from 1920x1080 px down to 720x480 px.

Does anyone could suggest a software or a workflow for the conversion of Pentax dSLR movies into B&W AVI (uncompressed), without loss of resolution?

Many thanks in advance for any hint and pointer.

04-19-2021, 01:35 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Have you tried DaVinci Resolve?
DaVinci Resolve 17 | Blackmagic Design

There's a free version that's more than adequate for most people, and I've used it with video files from my K-70. It has pretty advanced colour controls so you should be able to convert to monochrome, and it definitely supports export at full HD.
I haven't checked whether it can export uncompressed AVIs but I wouldn't be surprised as it's professional editing software.
If you have videos that are input from the camera, they will already be compressed though, and I think Pentax applies quite a bit of compression to video if I remember.
04-19-2021, 01:47 PM   #3

VirtualDub is very dated.

Try AVIDemux or Handbrake both of which have grayscale filters.
04-19-2021, 02:14 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I second Not_a_Number on Handbrake - quite versatile in converting video files.

HandBrake: Open Source Video Transcoder

-Joe-

04-19-2021, 03:47 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for your input and suggestions. Much appreciated.

Both AVIDemux and Handbrake can concert to grayscale.

Handbrake is versatile but cannot convert Pentax dSLR movies to to AVI.

AVIDemux can expert to AVI format, but it is not uncompressed.

Any further suggestion is most welcome. if I find a solution, I would share the solution in this thread.
04-19-2021, 05:34 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Have you done a Google search for MOV to AVI? Seems like a normal conversion. But you may have to do a double conversion, MOV to ???, ??? to AVI. I haven't worked with video for a few years but that used to be a common method for some conversions.
04-19-2021, 05:54 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why does it need to be .avi? .mp4 or .mkv are much better formats. Anytime you convert video from one format to another, there will be a quality loss.
04-19-2021, 07:35 PM   #8
hcc
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The video movies will be analysed in Matlab, with an optical flow routine, which use AVI uncompressed files as input.

04-19-2021, 08:36 PM   #9

The HuffYUV codec in AVIDemux is lossless.

In Handbrake using h.264 or h.265 in constant quality mode set to 0 is lossless (slider all the way to the right). If the original file was compressed this will result in a file larger than the original.

The same with these codecs in AVIDemux in Constant Quantiser slider all the way to the left.

Have you tried a frameserver (AVISynth) in VirtualDUB. That used to work with VirtualDUB or TMPGenc on video formats they didn't have codecs for.

Last edited by Not a Number; 04-19-2021 at 09:20 PM. Reason: typo
04-20-2021, 01:50 AM   #10

Photos: Albums
How good are you with the command line?
You could use ffmpeg

ffmpeg -i K3Vid.mov -q:v 1 -vcodec mpeg4 -y format=grey K3Vid.avi

Last edited by DeKay; 04-20-2021 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Added format=grey for conversion to greyscale
04-20-2021, 07:20 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've used Handbrake on K5, K30 and K50 movies with no problem, so am not sure why you say it can not convert Pentax dSLR movies to AVI. Maybe movies from newer Pentax dSLRs are different?

-Joe-

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Thank you everyone for your input and suggestions. Much appreciated.

Both AVIDemux and Handbrake can concert to grayscale.

Handbrake is versatile but cannot convert Pentax dSLR movies to to AVI.

AVIDemux can expert to AVI format, but it is not uncompressed.

Any further suggestion is most welcome. if I find a solution, I would share the solution in this thread.
04-20-2021, 04:15 PM   #12
hcc
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeKay Quote
How good are you with the command line?
You could use ffmpeg

ffmpeg -i K3Vid.mov -q:v 1 -vcodec mpeg4 -y format=grey K3Vid.avi
Thanks,

I had to slighty modify the command line:
ffmpeg -i K3Vid.mov -q:v 1 -vcodec mpeg4 -y -vf format=gray K3Vid.avi

The highlights point to the changes.
04-20-2021, 07:22 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by k0og Quote
I've used Handbrake on K5, K30 and K50 movies with no problem, so am not sure why you say it can not convert Pentax dSLR movies to AVI. Maybe movies from newer Pentax dSLRs are different?

-Joe-
If Handbrake can't open the MOV file it can't process the file. I've had AVIDemux not able to open a MOV but Handbrake would, and vice versa.
04-21-2021, 04:06 AM   #14

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Thanks,

I had to slighty modify the command line:
ffmpeg -i K3Vid.mov -q:v 1 -vcodec mpeg4 -y -vf format=gray K3Vid.avi

The highlights point to the changes.
Sorry about that, I wasn’t at my computer to check the syntax and test its functionality.
But it looks like you are good with the command line as you figured out how to correct it.
Hope it did what you required.
04-21-2021, 06:09 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
If Handbrake can't open the MOV file it can't process the file. I've had AVIDemux not able to open a MOV but Handbrake would, and vice versa.
I do very little with movies, so don't know much about the topic. I took another look at Handbrake, which I have used many times to convert to .mp4 files. I thought it would convert to .avi but don't think it does. So, I did some poking around and found this nice open-source tool, and tested it with some K30 .mov video files, and it worked fine converting from .mov to .avi (lossless conversion). This is open-source freeware:

MP4Cam2AVI Easy Converter download | SourceForge.net

It looks like the OP found a command-line solution, and this probably does the same thing, but what's nice about this is the GUI, concentanation, and batch capabilities.

-Joe-