Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2021, 03:46 AM   #1
Pentaxian

BMD's new Studio Video Cameras,... vs Pentax Lenses.

Anyone watch the announcement for Blackmagic Designs new Studio cameras?

https://youtu.be/UajudFR81us?t=2410

My first thought was "Who makes lenses with Power Zooms?" Completely forgot about the Pentax units from the end of the 'film' SLR era.

Went searching, found the M4/3 unit to match the BMD cameras, then Sony's E-mounts, and there's some 'other' brands,... and then I remembers the Power Zoom mod to the K-mount.

And well, F.A.Q. should have popped up, the FASTEST two Power Zoom lenses I can find are both Pentax glass, and Full Frame.

SMC Pentax-FA* 28-70mm F2.8 AL Reviews - FA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

SMC Pentax-FA* 80-200mm F2.8 ED [IF] Reviews - FA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Now, these two lenses would be IDEAL for shooting local sports, Indie TV, live stream events, basically everything that takes place in a stadium smaller then a 1/4mile speedway, could be done with those two lenses, on BMD's new 'Studio' camera,.....

But,..

The cameras are M4/3'rds, and nowhere, on any brand I can check, can I find a PK-to-M4/3 adapter that passes lens control through from body to lens. It's bad enough the PK doesn't get any love on Focal Reducer mounts from major brands, but nothing at all on electronic mounts??

Anyone got any ideas on that one?

I feel some of these new BMD cameras are in my future for live event streams, I'd really love to be able to put good quality lenses in front of them.

07-30-2021, 04:05 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Old Pentax power zoom lenses would not be very good for video because of the screw drive AF and mechanical aperture control. Screw drive generally hunt too much for using AF in video.
For manual focus FA* lenses should be OK as I believe all of them have usable focus ring, and maybe it is possible to modify the aperture ring to make it clickless, and use manual control of aperture ring.

Last edited by Fogel70; 07-30-2021 at 04:12 AM.
07-30-2021, 04:48 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Old Pentax power zoom lenses would not be very good for video because of the screw drive AF and mechanical aperture control. Screw drive generally hunt too much for using AF in video.
For manual focus FA* lenses should be OK as I believe all of them have usable focus ring, and maybe it is possible to modify the aperture ring to make it clickless, and use manual control of aperture ring.
Dammit, I forgot about the need for the screw drive, so used to seeing SDM AF these days.

But the for the screw drive 'hunting', that's the AF in the body, NOT the the lens mechanism - all the giant Box Lenses you see on TV with the super smooth focus and zoom, are all driven with screw drive and belt drive, with motors in the bottom of the box shell. It's what's driving them that makes the difference, in those cases, it's an operator, same as BMD's camera will use

De-clicking a Pentax lens is an easy 10 minute job.

I swear, I'm gonna end up learning to code on Raspberry Pi, and have to start making hardware myself.
09-06-2021, 11:15 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Anyone watch the announcement for Blackmagic Designs new Studio cameras?

https://youtu.be/UajudFR81us?t=2410

My first thought was "Who makes lenses with Power Zooms?" Completely forgot about the Pentax units from the end of the 'film' SLR era.

Went searching, found the M4/3 unit to match the BMD cameras, then Sony's E-mounts, and there's some 'other' brands,... and then I remembers the Power Zoom mod to the K-mount.

And well, F.A.Q. should have popped up, the FASTEST two Power Zoom lenses I can find are both Pentax glass, and Full Frame.

SMC Pentax-FA* 28-70mm F2.8 AL Reviews - FA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

SMC Pentax-FA* 80-200mm F2.8 ED [IF] Reviews - FA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Now, these two lenses would be IDEAL for shooting local sports, Indie TV, live stream events, basically everything that takes place in a stadium smaller then a 1/4mile speedway, could be done with those two lenses, on BMD's new 'Studio' camera,.....

But,..

The cameras are M4/3'rds, and nowhere, on any brand I can check, can I find a PK-to-M4/3 adapter that passes lens control through from body to lens. It's bad enough the PK doesn't get any love on Focal Reducer mounts from major brands, but nothing at all on electronic mounts??

Anyone got any ideas on that one?

I feel some of these new BMD cameras are in my future for live event streams, I'd really love to be able to put good quality lenses in front of them.
I did look through that video and it was entertaining. Iím afraid that there is no such thing to get that working with P/K lenses. Otherthan sitting down with camera and do it manually. What I did really like was that ability to donít all from your computer even(4K plus).so you could do a lot just by your self, and now HDMI also has been updated to 4K.

Interesting.

09-08-2021, 03:11 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I did look through that video and it was entertaining. Iím afraid that there is no such thing to get that working with P/K lenses. Otherthan sitting down with camera and do it manually. What I did really like was that ability to donít all from your computer even(4K plus).so you could do a lot just by your self, and now HDMI also has been updated to 4K.

Interesting.
There is however, the Monster Adapters PK-to-E adapter, which looks like it might control the Pentax FA Power Zooms on my Sony VG900 - the FA 80-200 f2.8 is listed as supported, I've just found an FA 28-70 f2.8 locally, which will be pretty dang good on the VG900 for my Live Streaming setup, be it full manual or with the Monster Adapter.

I'm reaching out to the folks from Monster to suggest they do a version for PK-to-M4/3.

Then I'll need an excuse (really, I'll 'need' one,...) to get myself the 80-200 as well. And I just bought a K-5,... But need two for a Stereoscopic photoshoot.
09-10-2021, 02:20 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
There is however, the Monster Adapters PK-to-E adapter, which looks like it might control the Pentax FA Power Zooms on my Sony VG900 - the FA 80-200 f2.8 is listed as supported, I've just found an FA 28-70 f2.8 locally, which will be pretty dang good on the VG900 for my Live Streaming setup, be it full manual or with the Monster Adapter.

I'm reaching out to the folks from Monster to suggest they do a version for PK-to-M4/3.

Then I'll need an excuse (really, I'll 'need' one,...) to get myself the 80-200 as well. And I just bought a K-5,... But need two for a Stereoscopic photoshoot.
I did not know that there was adapter like that which even excists! NICE.