Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2021, 06:15 AM - 5 Likes   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A quick test with the K3iii and DA*16-50 PLM

I need to spend more time working out the best settings. The lens arrived today so I took it for a walk.

Last edited by RobG; 09-08-2021 at 02:34 PM.
09-08-2021, 06:45 AM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
The camera arrived today so I took it for a walk.
Not too shabby for a first outing, Rob...........................
09-08-2021, 02:34 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Not too shabby for a first outing, Rob...........................
Thanks! I might need to go for a walk at the lake where there's more subject variety.
09-08-2021, 03:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Looks to be a good start. The ripples in the creek would have been nicer test if underexposed just a fraction - those sorts of ripples in waves really load up the h.264 CoDec, so make a great test of how well the compression code has been written in the firmware.

All looked nice and smooth right up till you walked forward - and walking while keeping a camera stable is a lot harder then most people realize!
A gimbal wouldn't hurt there, though with practice it is possible to get smoother without one, the secret to that is a handle under the body, with enough mass to build up some inertia.

No sign of 25 or 50 fps in the menus?

09-09-2021, 12:26 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice, Rob.
09-09-2021, 02:04 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Looks to be a good start. The ripples in the creek would have been nicer test if underexposed just a fraction - those sorts of ripples in waves really load up the h.264 CoDec, so make a great test of how well the compression code has been written in the firmware.
Sure. As I think I said in the video description, I was just using the default settings for a quick test.

QuoteQuote:
All looked nice and smooth right up till you walked forward - and walking while keeping a camera stable is a lot harder then most people realize! A gimbal wouldn't hurt there, though with practice it is possible to get smoother without one, the secret to that is a handle under the body, with enough mass to build up some inertia. No sign of 25 or 50 fps in the menus?
I have a Sony video camera with an internal physical stabilisation mechanism and even that struggles at 4K when walking. I suspect that the only reasonably priced camera capable of recording stably while walking is the DJI Osmo (or Osmo 2). Sure, a $2000+ gimbal would stabilise the camera, but I thought the result was surprisingly good considering the lack of a gimbal. Given more time, I'd use a tripod for fixed position shots. FWIW I tried to buy a gimbal for my phone a few weeks ago and was told that the advertised gimbal is no longer available. Again, this was just a simple initial test of video with the K3iii and DA*16-50.

The only FPS at 4K are 24 fps or 30 fps (actually NTSC 29.97).

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
Very nice, Rob.
Thank you!
09-10-2021, 02:18 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Sure. As I think I said in the video description, I was just using the default settings for a quick test.

I have a Sony video camera with an internal physical stabilisation mechanism and even that struggles at 4K when walking. I suspect that the only reasonably priced camera capable of recording stably while walking is the DJI Osmo (or Osmo 2). Sure, a $2000+ gimbal would stabilise the camera, but I thought the result was surprisingly good considering the lack of a gimbal. Given more time, I'd use a tripod for fixed position shots. FWIW I tried to buy a gimbal for my phone a few weeks ago and was told that the advertised gimbal is no longer available. Again, this was just a simple initial test of video with the K3iii and DA*16-50.

Thank you!
I have used gorillapod underneath K-3III and spread legs to sides while one leg pointing to me, this is poormans 'shoulder rig', which double as tripod too(althou low level). It does stabilise the ride.

I bought my self 450€(+ some accessory) Gimbal which will come at here for weekend. I'll give it a go and will let you know how it fares. On tripod K-3III 4K is pretty nice! I have post your FHD and 4K video thread at here too, IF you don't mind sharing your vieos at there too. Feeling lonely at there ATM...

09-10-2021, 06:52 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I have used gorillapod underneath K-3III and spread legs to sides while one leg pointing to me, this is poormans 'shoulder rig', which double as tripod too(althou low level). It does stabilise the ride.

I bought my self 450€(+ some accessory) Gimbal which will come at here for weekend. I'll give it a go and will let you know how it fares. On tripod K-3III 4K is pretty nice! I have post your FHD and 4K video thread at here too, IF you don't mind sharing your vieos at there too. Feeling lonely at there ATM...
I'd be interested how the gimbal goes. Lonely where, sorry?
09-10-2021, 07:11 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I'd be interested how the gimbal goes. Lonely where, sorry?
Post your K-3III 4K and FHD videos! - PentaxForums.com

At here
09-11-2021, 02:37 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Thank you!
@RobG - if you do go looking for a gimbal, I can recommend the Zhiyun Crane series - used with a couple of cameras, inc one of my K-01's, and its a decent product
09-12-2021, 03:11 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
@RobG - if you do go looking for a gimbal, I can recommend the Zhiyun Crane series - used with a couple of cameras, inc one of my K-01's, and its a decent product
Thanks! The only gimbal I'm looking for at the moment is for the phone, and that's surprisingly hard to find. The crane series seems to have a good rep, which is more than I can say for the two attempts I'm made for getting gimbals. Thanks for the recommendation!
09-14-2021, 02:57 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

I have been trying out my crane 2S and it does very well thinking that I have not got any experience with gimbals before. Super steady and intuitive to use. Seems to work very well with K-3 III.
09-14-2021, 05:17 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have been trying out my crane 2S and it does very well thinking that I have not got any experience with gimbals before. Super steady and intuitive to use. Seems to work very well with K-3 III.
Sounds better than the one I tried with the Theta that turned out to be faulty.
09-14-2021, 05:34 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Sounds better than the one I tried with the Theta that turned out to be faulty.
This is very good, only drawback is that crane 2S don't recognice K-3III, so it for example record button can't be used on the gimbal, and I suppose that timelapsemodes are also quite challengin to be used? Also it does not seem to recognice USB-C as it does not recharge my K-3 when it is plugged in? So I'll see what that is all about.

But, I bought it mostly for gimbal use and I' can still push button on the camera to get rec on/off. I have focus motor(+168€) and so far what I have played with it, it seems good and solid too. I can even put focus clamp so that I have minimum limit as well as longest focus, so I can prepare my shot better. As you have seen, it is hard to see that screen and having critical focus is difficult. I'm not saying this because of it is tilting or not, screen is just simply too small. i have touble with it every now and then anyway. (going to propably get my self external screen(which will double as recorder)).
09-15-2021, 12:10 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
This is very good, only drawback is that crane 2S don't recognice K-3III, so it for example record button can't be used on the gimbal, and I suppose that timelapsemodes are also quite challengin to be used? Also it does not seem to recognice USB-C as it does not recharge my K-3 when it is plugged in? So I'll see what that is all about.
That's a shame. I took a couple of hand held clips today since the wind was less, and I used the Rode StereoVideomic.