Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2021, 04:25 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
That's a shame. I took a couple of hand held clips today since the wind was less, and I used the Rode StereoVideomic.
I can plug in mic with out problem...I have Røde GO, so I can put it where I need it, I was too eager to try this and I forgot to take it with me

09-22-2021, 04:16 AM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here is another quick test of the AFC. The change in AF is smooth and silent but slow - I suspect that there is a setting for it.

09-22-2021, 05:10 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Here is another quick test of the AFC. The change in AF is smooth and silent but slow - I suspect that there is a setting for it.

https://youtu.be/pK57mSc_k10

To me this looks okay. Not sure if you can accelerate AF speed, but there might be possibility of some tweaks.
09-22-2021, 05:23 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
To me this looks okay. Not sure if you can accelerate AF speed, but there might be possibility of some tweaks.
I can't find anything in the settings, which is strange. If I use the AF button or half depress the shutter release, the camera focuses immediately. If I hold the AF button down in AFC is focuses slowly. When I took the above video, I wasn't holding any button down, but it focussed slowly. I tried enabling the touch to focus feature and it doesn't seem to work in movie mode.

09-22-2021, 10:25 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I can't find anything in the settings, which is strange. If I use the AF button or half depress the shutter release, the camera focuses immediately. If I hold the AF button down in AFC is focuses slowly. When I took the above video, I wasn't holding any button down, but it focussed slowly. I tried enabling the touch to focus feature and it doesn't seem to work in movie mode.
Alright, I thought that there is not possible way to teeskentelyä it. Perhaps by changing how and there focusing happens, could help. Touch focus in af-s should be good to get things going fast. No af-c thou. Still it is much better that before(no AF-C at all). We have to wait for FW update
09-23-2021, 03:01 AM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Alright, I thought that there is not possible way to teeskentelyä it. Perhaps by changing how and there focusing happens, could help. Touch focus in af-s should be good to get things going fast. No af-c thou. Still it is much better that before(no AF-C at all). We have to wait for FW update
It appears that the firmware has two modes of operation with AF in movie mode:
  1. Prior to recording, AF is fast, just as it is for still images.
  2. During recording, AF is slow to allow smooth transitions and silent operation.
I did another test today and it looks like there's no point in using the back AF or shutter release AF while shooting video in AFC.

---------- Post added 23-09-21 at 08:06 PM ----------

Here's the test du jour. I wanted to look at the time to focus between near and far subjects in AFC at 4K. Hand held, so it's a bit wobbly.

09-23-2021, 03:08 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I always assumed Pentax slow video autofocus, like when using back button af during video with K-1, was intentional. Video vill be unusable if it instantly refocuses during video. With flawless tracking it would work perhaps, but even then it doesn't know your intentions.

09-23-2021, 03:15 AM   #23
Pentaxian

It appears that the firmware has two modes of operation with AF in movie mode:
  1. Prior to recording, AF is fast, just as it is for still images.
  2. During recording, AF is slow to allow smooth transitions and silent operation.
I did another test today and it looks like there's no point in using the back AF or shutter release AF while shooting video in AFC.

---------- Post added 23-09-21 at 08:06 PM ----------

Here's the test du jour. I wanted to look at the time to focus between near and far subjects in AFC at 4K. Hand held, so it's a bit wobbly.

https://youtu.be/CbS-WRb4g3c
Thanks for update an explaining. I did have a look at to my eye it does nice job, not the fastest, but it is smooth. And this is important. Althou some more advanced hybrid cameras have adjustment, and all that, this is pretty nice, and what it more important...it does work.

---------- Post added 09-23-21 at 13:18 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I always assumed Pentax slow video autofocus, like when using back button af during video with K-1, was intentional. Video vill be unusable if it instantly refocuses during video. With flawless tracking it would work perhaps, but even then it doesn't know your intentions.
I agree. I have looked at several videos from youtube and they have used cameras like C70 and A7SIII. Sure, focus is fast, but when it does jump around, it does make it confusing. Fast, yes, but all over the screen.

This is big improvement all in all for pentax
09-23-2021, 03:36 AM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Even so, it wouldn't be hard to provide the option in the AF settings. The HDDA*16-50 PLM is capable of fast AF. AFS is only useful for fixed focus though.

Thanks for update an explaining. I did have a look at to my eye it does nice job, not the fastest, but it is smooth. And this is important. Althou some more advanced hybrid cameras have adjustment, and all that, this is pretty nice, and what it more important...it does work.I agree. I have looked at several videos from youtube and they have used cameras like C70 and A7SIII. Sure, focus is fast, but when it does jump around, it does make it confusing. Fast, yes, but all over the screen.
This is big improvement all in all for pentax
I agree, it's really good! The problem with fast AFC in video on other cameras is that the AF tends to "stutter" if something confuses the AF system (rapidly jumping in and out). This sort of setup is perhaps less likely to do that. Even so, given that the lens can focus fast, I'd like to have the option to change the speed of AF in AFC. However, another option would just be to switch between AFC and AFS depending on the circumstances. AFS is only useful for fixed focus - after starting the recording, AFS is disabled. I just tested the touch AF in AFC though and it did work, so I'm not sure what happened when I tried it before.

The money I spent on my camcorder isn't wasted, because for video with a long zoom, it's still going to be easier to use.
09-23-2021, 04:17 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Even so, it wouldn't be hard to provide the option in the AF settings. The HDDA*16-50 PLM is capable of fast AF. AFS is only useful for fixed focus though.

I agree, it's really good! The problem with fast AFC in video on other cameras is that the AF tends to "stutter" if something confuses the AF system (rapidly jumping in and out). This sort of setup is perhaps less likely to do that. Even so, given that the lens can focus fast, I'd like to have the option to change the speed of AF in AFC. However, another option would just be to switch between AFC and AFS depending on the circumstances. AFS is only useful for fixed focus - after starting the recording, AFS is disabled. I just tested the touch AF in AFC though and it did work, so I'm not sure what happened when I tried it before.

The money I spent on my camcorder isn't wasted, because for video with a long zoom, it's still going to be easier to use.
I'v tried AF-C with my SDM and DC lenses and it only does work with that touch focus. It is actually quite nice. What I'm waitng is just that ability to get AF-C working(after I can afford 16-50PLM) even if it would be slow. There are many places where I'd like MF instead also.

About that camcorder. I think that it is unbeatable, even with more advanced 'hybridcamera' in comparison. Untill 'that' limit. But this is why people still use camcorders and also that is why many proper videocamera are what they are.

K-3III does add 'fun factor', but it won't replace dedicated things.
09-23-2021, 04:30 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'v tried AF-C with my SDM and DC lenses and it only does work with that touch focus. It is actually quite nice. What I'm waitng is just that ability to get AF-C working(after I can afford 16-50PLM) even if it would be slow. There are many places where I'd like MF instead also.
It may make sense to configure the function wheel to change modes.

QuoteQuote:
About that camcorder. I think that it is unbeatable, even with more advanced 'hybridcamera' in comparison. Until 'that' limit. But this is why people still use camcorders and also that is why many proper videocamera are what they are.
Sure. Part of the problem is that I've been using camcorders since the 80's, and I'm used to the style of operation. But a camcorder will do certain kinds of video with an ease that a DSLR or EVF camera won't. Having said that, if you have the time and patience for cinematography, it's a different story.

QuoteQuote:
K-3III does add 'fun factor', but it won't replace dedicated things.
If I really wanted to use an interchangeable lens camera for video I probably would have got a Fuji, but the main thing I want a DSLR for is stills.
09-23-2021, 10:59 PM   #27
Pentaxian

It may make sense to configure the function wheel to change modes.

Sure. Part of the problem is that I've been using camcorders since the 80's, and I'm used to the style of operation. But a camcorder will do certain kinds of video with an ease that a DSLR or EVF camera won't. Having said that, if you have the time and patience for cinematography, it's a different story.

If I really wanted to use an interchangeable lens camera for video I probably would have got a Fuji, but the main thing I want a DSLR for is stills.
I hear you Still I think that 'funfactor' is there with K-3III. No camera or hybrid are perfect, you have to make it sing
09-26-2021, 04:16 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I hear you Still I think that 'funfactor' is there with K-3III. No camera or hybrid are perfect, you have to make it sing
Fair enough! I have to find more time to figure out the settings.
09-26-2021, 10:21 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Second test. Me Likey. A LOT
Cinematographer hat on, if the AF is slow but super smooth and hits the mark without hunting, that is FAR better for video and film production then something super snappy that looks jerky.
Kinda more and more annoyed, that they get some feature very right, and then screw up the basics, like the missing frame rates, the futzed HDMI that all K3's and K-1's have had, and waaay too low data rate.
09-27-2021, 12:53 AM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Second test. Me Likey. A LOT
Cinematographer hat on, if the AF is slow but super smooth and hits the mark without hunting, that is FAR better for video and film production then something super snappy that looks jerky.
Kinda more and more annoyed, that they get some feature very right, and then screw up the basics, like the missing frame rates, the futzed HDMI that all K3's and K-1's have had, and waaay too low data rate.
I agree, I think that it's really well set up for a cinematographer style approach. What missing frame rates were you looking for?

---------- Post added 27-09-21 at 05:55 PM ----------

Soon I'll be able to spend 4 hours outside, so I'll set up a video test with the tripod and the external microphone (Rode Stereovideomic).