Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2009, 12:57 PM   #121
Forum Member

what is very important is the codec used and bitrate. Is it using H264 or mpeg2 or ... ? what about bitrate ?

05-10-2009, 01:31 PM   #122

Photos: Gallery
Well 720p @30 isn't too bad for a first attempt I suppose

Is it too early to start a wish list for the K30D?
No? Good!
1920x1080 at SELECTABLE frame rates of 24, 25 and 30 (actually 23.98 and 59.97 instead of 24 and 30)
05-10-2009, 02:03 PM   #123
Banned

Well if it tops out at 720p 30fps I guess I could watch the videos on my 17" HP laptop that has 1440x900 . I can't wait to try some of my K-mount lenses with the K-7 in 720p.
05-10-2009, 02:26 PM   #124
Veteran Member

OGl and OM81's cryptics are hard to decipher, but we know at least 720P is there, he said all modes are 30fps and the IQ is better than the 5d MKII, so ok there is no 1080p24 and OM81's theres more to IQ than resolution ( there is as my old Panny dvc30 when upscaled looks better than most consumer hd camcorders in their default hd modes ).

We know that here is one non standard mode and some other cryptics parts say the max vertical rez is 1024. I'm not sure is OGL's NO full HD means yes it has full HD or not that it doesn't.

I'm sure we'll get a few more leaks by this next comming weekend as it seems they intentionally leak a bit out every so often.

05-10-2009, 02:49 PM   #125
raz

QuoteOriginally posted by Om81 Quote
No. In terms of IQ Pentax is much better. IQ is not only resolution, i said it before!!
I highly doubt that the video iq can be much better than a 5D mark 2 . The same things were told about the iq of the K20D (pictures) in comparative to full frames DSLR or even higher cameras (medium format) and we seen that it wasn't the case.

Video from 5D mark2 is spectacular, in no way a 720p native video coming from an apsc will be better than a native 1080p video coming from a sensor that is more than twice the size. Canon always had very good and fast internal processors, they have a very successfully history in making professional and consumer video cameras, I just cannot see how Pentax can make the video mode of the K7 better than the 5D2.

So yes, in general resolution is maybe 75% of the iq in my opinion. The rest of course is low light capabilities and internal processing, both things where 5D2 stands well. So let's be a little realistic and not to set some very high expectations because people will get disappointed.
05-10-2009, 03:12 PM   #126
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raz Quote
I highly doubt that the video iq can be much better than a 5D mark 2 . The same things were told about the iq of the K20D (pictures) in comparative to full frames DSLR or even higher cameras (medium format) and we seen that it wasn't the case.

Video from 5D mark2 is spectacular, in no way a 720p native video coming from an apsc will be better than a native 1080p video coming from a sensor that is more than twice the size. Canon always had very good and fast internal processors, they have a very successfully history in making professional and consumer video cameras, I just cannot see how Pentax can make the video mode of the K7 better than the 5D2.

So yes, in general resolution is maybe 75% of the iq in my opinion. The rest of course is low light capabilities and internal processing, both things where 5D2 stands well. So let's be a little realistic and not to set some very high expectations because people will get disappointed.
The K20d's Iq was very good vs the ff dslrs of the time at lower iso's so that rumor did hold so why not the K-7 comparable to the MKii in video quality?
05-10-2009, 08:42 PM   #127
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raz Quote
Video from 5D mark2 is spectacular, in no way a 720p native video coming from an apsc will be better than a native 1080p video coming from a sensor that is more than twice the size.
I won't say such a blanket statement. Anyways, I for one hope that it K-7 would not suffer from wobble like the D90; and who knows, they could, for example, somehow surpass 5D II in terms of reduced CMOS wobble.

05-10-2009, 09:42 PM   #128
Veteran Member

All modes 30fps, but will there also be 24fps?
05-10-2009, 10:44 PM   #129
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
If you want a preview of what to expect:

Panasonic premieres DMC-GH1 with HD video recording: Digital Photography Review

Note the built-in stereo microphone, mic input, the dedicated video recording button, and continuous AF in movie mode due to the contrast detection system. That's the catch for Pentax. Video needs contrast detection, so we'll be seeing that as well.

The Panasonic has just been released in Japan. That gives you some indication as to why Pentax may be releasing the K-7 in late May.

I am a long-time user of Panasonic videocams.

Yeah, another Panasonic video user/lover here.

I have been neglecting the Pentax forums for the past few weeks -- ever since the GH1 came out -- because I've been hanging out at a Panasonic forum.

I am about 90% sure that I will be buying a GH1 this summer. If Pentax comes out with something as good as/better than the GH1, in terms of video, than I'd do it instead...but from the vibes I'm getting in this thread, it just doesn't seem like that's going to be the case. I'll be getting the GH1 for it's video capacities and it's video capacities alone, though I suppose I may do some stills with it from time to time too.

The 2 big players currently in the vDSLR market are the D90 and the 5dmkii. They are both a bit finicky to work with though, they don't give you much control over the video and such.

The other problem (as some have noted here) is the way CMOS sensors sample, the D90 and 5dMKII both suffer from "jello" effect where, when panning, your whole image can look like it's in Jello.

The killer features of the GH1 are that the lens it comes with has *silent* auto-focus, for use while rolling video, and the GH1 gives the user full manual control over the aperture and such, even while recording video.

On top of that, they also seem to have gotten the Jello effect under control.

They've done a really smashing job with it and, judging from Panasonic's extensive background in video, that's not surprising.

While I'd love to see Pentax come out with something with killer video capacities...I'm just not holding my breath. Pentax doesn't have video background, and creating a high quality video recording requires a whole chain of things to work together.

They'll get it eventually though, and be excited for that day. Check . Simply stunning stuff, at a simply stunning price point. (I'm shooting video right now with a Panasonic HVX-2000. $6000 video camera, and video from this little $1500 GH1 rivals it)

(If you've got a vimeo account...and since this is a photo forum I'm guessing you're more likely to have a flickr account...make sure you login and download the full resolution version of that video. A. Maz. Ing.)
05-10-2009, 10:58 PM   #130
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Saaby Quote
I am about 90% sure that I will be buying a GH1 this summer. If Pentax comes out with something as good as/better than the GH1, in terms of video, than I'd do it instead...
If it has what you need, by all means, get it.
We are currently at a steep evolutionary curve as far as consumer HD video capture is concerned, where we will see improved equipment coming out every few months.

K-7 would not match GH-1 at this point, I would be most interested to see what Samsung is able to squeeze into its NX system as GH-1 would certainly be its benchmark to beat.
05-10-2009, 10:59 PM   #131
Forum Member

I got on a tangent there going on and on about the GH1 that I forgot to mention this...

...15 fps is too slow. 24 fps is just fine, and the holy grail for filmmakers. 24 fps is what film cameras normally run at. Don't ask why, it's probably like somebody else mentioned in here...that's what they could make 'back in the day' and it just kind of stuck. So 24 fps 'looks like film' and that's what people shooting video that they want to look like film shoot.

60 frames looks more like TV and video because, well, TV and Video (in the USA, sorry European folk...but yours is close) are 60 frames per second.

So what about movies you watch on TV? Well they were shot 24 frames per second, and then dumped into a 60 frames per-second video environment. There are even video cameras specifically deigned to mimick this look, most notably the DVX-100 and it's successors.
05-10-2009, 11:32 PM   #132
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
1280*720 - yes.
the rest two - it's hard to guess.
hm. guess? I thought you had a trustable source
05-10-2009, 11:38 PM   #133
Veteran Member

So 24 fps 'looks like film' and that's what people shooting video that they want to look like film shoot.
In the hands of experienced and professional videographer, yes, they can make 24fps look good, just like the movies.
But in the hands of general consumer, they would have problem understanding why some of their 24fps video footage don't look like film at all with all the stuttering
05-10-2009, 11:39 PM   #134
Veteran Member

As long as its not 25fps, 23.98 or 59.97 is fine
05-11-2009, 12:03 AM   #135
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
They'll Check . Simply stunning stuff, at a simply stunning price point.
Well, you like THAT?
This only shows that it is very difficult to use this stuff with advantage.
I am not sure what he did. Focus manually with the Zeiss?
It's often out of focus, often overexposed.
It shows the effect of shallow DoF, but else it's crap, sorry.