Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2009, 07:40 PM   #331
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
sorry guys I'm with Falconeye on this one

05-20-2009, 07:54 PM   #332
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ricardobeat Quote
Considering that the aperture stopping is not continuous/smooth (you would have a visible "bump" in lightness) what is the use of changing it mid-footage? Could you give me an example?
According to John Carlson (Pentax Imaging Product Manager), he seemed to imply that you can change aperture during movie taking. Exposure is automatic, and you can use AE-L. And as you change the aperture, the exposure would be adjusted automatically. Or you can use AE-L, in which case, the exposure would not be adjusted as you change the aperture.

And it does not look like you can control shutter speed or ISO. So only Av and no Tv in video mode. Peter Fang also mentioned that you can use exposure compensation too.
05-20-2009, 08:00 PM   #333
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How about older MF lenses with aperature rings? Anyone know how they will work with video?
05-20-2009, 08:34 PM   #334

So, so sorry everyone

QuoteOriginally posted by CherryO Quote
I'll give this a try tonight. Thanks for the idea.

Sorry to be dangling this over your heads, that wasn't the intent
I'm really sorry to do this... but I have no choice... I've spoken to the person who lent me the camera, and I simply can't post any pre-production video. I've got to stay in good standing with him, at the risk of a flaming from the forum.

Please forgive me!

05-20-2009, 08:53 PM   #335
Veteran Member

Well call up japan and ask for the firmware 1.0, flash the cam and record some video will ya.
05-20-2009, 08:57 PM   #336
jay
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by claude21 Quote
little test from the K7 specs sheet and my own HD videos
I'm still really concerned about MJPEG as a compression format.... But, of course, I have to wait until we can see some real, full-resolution, straight-from-the-camera video first.
05-20-2009, 09:10 PM   #337
Veteran Member

I'm really sorry to do this... but I have no choice... I've spoken to the person who lent me the camera, and I simply can't post any pre-production video. I've got to stay in good standing with him, at the risk of a flaming from the forum.

Please forgive me!
I don't think there's going to be any flaming. The other testers were all pretty clear that this was part of the NDA.

05-20-2009, 09:34 PM   #338
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ProppaT Quote
Well, the important thing to all the video guys is that Pentax is offering replaceable focus screens with the K-7. With an eye cup, a good focus screen, and practice you'll be able to manual focus your video. AF on a DSLR is herky jerky. You'd want something smooth.
The mirror is going to be locked-up during video capture, so if you want to MF, it's going to have to be on the 3" LCD screen.

This is exciting stuff.

Panasonic has a rich video heritage, they've produced a camera that takes excellent video, and the stills are pretty good too.

Pentax has a rich imaging heritage. They've produced a camera that takes excellent excellent stills and pretty good video, too.

In this generation, for me personally, it looks like I'm still looking at a 2-camera solution (One video, one stills, and you have to know I want a K-7 now!) -- but the worlds are certainly converging.

The video out of the K-7 is going to please very many people, especially in context of the camera itself just having so many other fantastic features.

I am not let down at all because my expectations are realistic, but at the same time I'm excited, and maybe a little scared to see what the next generations video-capable DSLRs holds!

Let the video pixel-peeping begin!
05-21-2009, 04:24 AM   #339
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I simply can't post any pre-production video. [...] at the risk of a flaming from the forum.
Please forgive me!
CherryO, nothing to forgive. I appreciate the bits you have shared with us.

And I can understand Pentax or your friend too. It is not always clear that fora understand the implications of "preproduction"
05-21-2009, 05:54 AM   #340
and
Veteran Member

was kinda expecting them to make the demo video we heard about available at the announcement time. if its going to be in stores about 1.5 months from now I thought it should be pretty ready by now
05-21-2009, 06:15 AM   #341
raz

Come on guys, don't post/quote again that big graph directly, is ruining the layout of the page and we have to scroll (the ones with 4:3 monitors).
05-21-2009, 06:57 AM   #342
Banned

Panasonic launches worlds first Class 10 SDHC

QuoteQuote:
May 21, 2009: Panasonic is pleased to announce that it will launch new SDHC Memory Cards with Class 10 speed specification in Europe and other markets from the end of May, 2009. Class 10 is a new speed specification standardized by SD Card Association as part of SD Card Specification Ver.3.0 to meet the requirement for higher resolution consecutive shooting and large-sized high definition video shooting.

As an example of sequential writing of 3 frame/sec.(1 frame=3MB), the class10 card enables to write out large amounts of data continuously up until the card is fully written without missing any shots or writing stops. The Panasonic GOLD line series will be the world’s first memory cards* to adopt this new speed class. The new series will be available in the following four models: RP-SDW04G(4GB) / RP-SDW08G(8GB) / RP-SDW16G(16GB) / RP-SDW32G(32GB).

The current Panasonic Class 6 models are highly evaluated in the market for its superior speed performance and high reliability as well as user-friendly features like its memo label. The 32GB high capacity model was awarded the TIPA Award** as Best Imaging Storage Media 2009. The new GOLD line series inherits the advantages of the current Class 6 line with further enhanced speed performance. Its Class 10 speed capability as well as maximum speed of 22MB/s combined with intelligent controller is ideal for large volume data recording and transmission in high definition applications. The new cards also allows for high-speed data transfer from a card to a PC. A large volume of AVCHD Full HD video data fully written on a new Gold card can be transferred to a PC approx. 40% faster compared to the current Class 4 card.

Panasonic will also introduce a SILVER line series with Class 4 speed specification and maximum speed of up to 20MB/s, ideal for high definition video recording. All the new models will come with eco-friendly packages as the plastic used in previous packaging has been reduced by 90%.

The new cards will be available in the UK from June 2009.
Panasonic launches worlds first Class 10 SDHC cards: Digital Photography Review

I don't understand why my 16GB Sandisk Extreme III SDHC 30MB/s SDHC card has Class 6 printed on it if the Class 10 is only rated at 22MB/s .

05-21-2009, 07:00 AM   #343
and
Veteran Member

I guess because class 10 didnt exist before. Wonder how fast the camera is at writing tho, no use in buying faster cards if it cant take advantage of it
05-21-2009, 07:37 AM   #344
Veteran Member

Sandisk extreme II cards are more than fast enough, so that leaves us just getting some sample video from the K7 now.
05-21-2009, 07:59 AM   #345
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
I guess because class 10 didnt exist before. Wonder how fast the camera is at writing tho, no use in buying faster cards if it cant take advantage of it
I have the fastest SD card, (not SDHC) the Lexar 2GB 133x, it certainly feels faster than the equivalent SDHC card. I think we should be able to take advantage of speeds that were normal back in good old SD times.