Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2009, 05:56 PM   #391
Veteran Member

Here's a quote from John C. on DPR regarding autofocus:

"There is NO AF during movies (continuous or single). You can use the AF button to focus before capture, but AF is not possible during the movie capture."

It's official: no AF during capture.

05-24-2009, 06:01 PM   #392
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
We dont know what its going to be like in the final version, I believe there was a version of the firmware where you could press the af button during capture to do focus, likely reason why they disabled it is that the caf is so slow anyway but still Id like to see them offer the possibility of doing it
05-24-2009, 06:43 PM   #393
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by switters Quote

"There is NO AF during movies (continuous or single). You can use the AF button to focus before capture, but AF is not possible during the movie capture."

Who is John C.?

If I remember well, people in this forum who claim to have handled the K7 said the opposite.
05-24-2009, 06:47 PM   #394
Veteran Member

John C. works for Pentax USA. I'm not sure what his official position is, but he started a couple of threads over there offering to answer questions about the K7.

05-24-2009, 06:56 PM   #395
Veteran Member

Original Poster
John C. only says how 0.34 behaves. 0.20 seems to have behaved differently. Nobody outside JPN seems tp know what is coming with 1.0. But Pentax Marketing introduced K-7 on YouTube saying "CAF in video". So, there is some pressure now.

On another note.

John C. also said that the 25 min. movie capture limit is only to circumvent [4.9%] import duties on camcorders in the EU. There shall be no technical limits, except those 4 GB of course.

But 4GB translate to less than 25 min in all but the 640 x 416 modes. And the import duty does not apply to web cam video capture (smaller than 800 x 600). So, what John C. said here is nonsense. Sorry, John ...
05-24-2009, 07:09 PM   #396
Site Supporter

Actually according to the brochure on Ned's blog, you WILL be able to push the AF button to auto focus in movies.
Scroll down to the HD Movie Capture section.
05-24-2009, 08:15 PM   #397
Veteran Member

Hmmm, I did see the brochure, but it seems a bit ambiguous:

It says you can change the aperture and use AF, but it doesn't say whether you can do this during movie capture. I know it kind of implies that you can, but it's very vague. Perhaps that's because they're still not sure whether these features will be included in the final version of the firmware.

05-24-2009, 08:18 PM   #398
Veteran Member

From all reports AF workswith the AF button in movie mode, also aperture control works for DOF but your locked in auto exposure, meaning the shutter will adjust to compensate BYUT you can lock exposure with AEL or use exposure compensation to adjsut
05-24-2009, 08:20 PM   #399
Veteran Member

John C. works for Pentax USA. I'm not sure what his official position is, but he started a couple of threads over there offering to answer questions about the K7.
John Carlson is the Product Manager of Pentax Imaging USA.
He was the person in the official Pentax K20D video last year:
YouTube - Pentax K20D
05-24-2009, 10:40 PM   #400

Who the hell cares about video? If I wanted it, I'd buy a video camera. Nice marketing effect. But I could care less about it. But to compete, I understand.
05-24-2009, 10:46 PM   #401
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CaymanImaging Quote
Who the hell cares about video?
Hmm... those who shoot video?

QuoteQuote:
If I wanted it, I'd buy a video camera.
But that's the thing, if you want to buy a video camera capable of HD video with shallow DOF and interchangeable lenses, it would cost you thousands and thousands of dollars. DSLR has limitations when it comes to video, but if you are after the specific effect it can produce, it is a real bargain. And it has very good low light performance too when compared with consumer camcorder.
05-25-2009, 12:43 AM   #402

Who the hell cares about video?
I do. Is that all right with you?
QuoteQuote:
If I wanted it, I'd buy a video camera.
Who's stopping you?
QuoteQuote:
But to compete, I understand.
Yeah right.
Didn't you see what the thread was all about, or maybe you just didn't get it from the sublime title: "Quality of K-7 video".

Listen, I know you believe a photo camera should be a photo camera and not a multi(dis)functional something, but this is clearly a thread for the people who care about video. I'm pretty sure if K-7 didn't have video there would be a thousand posts bashing it for that - so in my book, Pentax is 1000% on the right track.
Like it or not, it is undoubtedly the shape of things to come.
Besides, it's not gonna stop you from shooting pictures.
05-25-2009, 04:40 AM   #403
Veteran Member

Anger.

John C Pentax man still insists that AF is not present in Video recording. I would be very very very very disappointed with this and would immediately start a petition asking Pentax to include it as it was there in preproduction hardware. If indeed it is only for sound purposes then I would be again pissed, but I think it would be more to do with "the next model will have 1080p and AF".
I may even hold my purchase of a K-7 off for a long time, knowing they could have easily just kept the AF in video in there.
But I also think that John C could be making a mistake with his facts as he does not have Production model and knows very little about the workings of the K-7 in other departments where you would have to ask one of the Japanese folk.
05-25-2009, 04:42 AM   #404
Veteran Member

Who the hell cares about video? If I wanted it, I'd buy a video camera. Nice marketing effect. But I could care less about it. But to compete, I understand.
Do you carry a camcorder?
Probably not.
When you feel one day that you have to carry a camcorder on vacation. but you wanted that extra lens. well, now you can take both the camcorder and that extra lens......
Do not be a dummy! if implemented correct it has its uses, not least of which is baggage.
05-25-2009, 04:48 AM   #405
Forum Member

Then why do you post on this thread?

/Mats