Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2009, 05:45 AM   #946
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
LOL, I have the K-7 and sticking one of my 67 lenses on it will only give me a telephoto lens and do nothing for FF DOF. My video camera with the 35mm adapter is FF in terms of focusing, DOF and mounted lens (no 1.5 factor). I've seen the results! The video camera is focused on the FF in the adapter. It doesn't increase video resolution ( which I wasn't saying- still records 1080i) but it gets rid of that "video look", gives FF 35mm DOF control and yields more of the coveted film look on your video camera than otherwise. But all this is a moot point when the Red Scarlet comes out later this year. That will be the video camera to own.

My K-7 on a Steadicam shown with a SMC Pentax-A 50mm ƒ1.2 lens:

The Scarlet FF35 will be $9,750 for brain only so by the time you get the whole system it will cost alot more than a FF Canon 5D MkII with some fast L lenses.
cinema5D.com • View topic - Sticky: 4 and 5 Star videos

Canon Digital Learning Center - Sample EOS 5D Mark II Video: Reverie

http://wiki.planet5d.com/index.php?title=Mii_video

Last edited by jogiba; 08-06-2009 at 12:31 PM.
08-06-2009, 10:45 PM   #947
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
The CMOS chip on consumer camcorders is smaller so you could stick a Pentax 6x7 lens on it and it would not make it any better than the K-7.
I'm very in favor of video mode, but I'd just like to point out that 35mm adaptors for camcorders have the 35mm lens projecting onto a full frame sized piece of ground glass, the camcorder records off of this. You actually get FF like DOF. The disadvantage is you loose a stop or two (can be an advantage if you don't want to use a ND filter which you often have to do outdoors with video).
08-07-2009, 05:42 AM   #948
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by nixcamic Quote
I'm very in favor of video mode, but I'd just like to point out that 35mm adaptors for camcorders have the 35mm lens projecting onto a full frame sized piece of ground glass, the camcorder records off of this. You actually get FF like DOF. The disadvantage is you loose a stop or two (can be an advantage if you don't want to use a ND filter which you often have to do outdoors with video).
I would much prefer a FF DSLR over a consumer camcorder with small CMOS chip with 35mm adapter digiscoping type setup. Try shooting the following video with a consumer camcorder/35mm adapter setup.
08-07-2009, 07:50 AM   #949

Photos: Gallery
shooting video with an F1.2 lens should be interesting, better have a steady hand on the focus ring :P

08-07-2009, 09:58 AM   #950
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by PNTXFTW12 Quote
shooting video with an F1.2 lens should be interesting, better have a steady hand on the focus ring :P
I think the 85mm F1.4 has an even more shallow DOF than the 50mm F1.2.

08-07-2009, 11:53 AM   #951
Pentaxian

I Try shooting the following video with a consumer camcorder/35mm adapter setup.
LOL, should I go find a slow motion video shot at 120fps and say try that with a D5? Or a single shot longer than 12 min limit on the D5? Or a shot that has decent recorded sound? Or a cinema 1/48 shutter? Or a one shot in manual mode? Or a shot in something other than 30fps? So when you're ready to go beyond auto mode and short web videos with overlaid music, you'll need something else.

The D5 is awesome but it is not a feature-rich video camera. And image quality only plays a small role in what makes a great video just like still photography except to the techno geeks substituting image quality to mean excellent picture/video to compensate for artistic skills.

But, of course, your milage may vary.
08-07-2009, 02:52 PM   #952
Banned

QuoteQuote:
A test of the incredible AE plugin developed by THE FOUNDRY -

Corrects distortion from rolling shutter in CMOS cameras

08-07-2009, 05:58 PM   #953
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the link, much appreciated!

So, 29.99 for a filter fixing many artifacts in K-7 video, incl. the rolling shutter effect, wouldn't be too expensive, I guess. As it is $500 in the link above ...:
The Foundry - Add to Cart
08-07-2009, 08:53 PM   #954

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
LOL, should I go find a slow motion video shot at 120fps and say try that with a D5? Or a single shot longer than 12 min limit on the D5? Or a shot that has decent recorded sound? Or a cinema 1/48 shutter? Or a one shot in manual mode? Or a shot in something other than 30fps? So when you're ready to go beyond auto mode and short web videos with overlaid music, you'll need something else.

The D5 is awesome but it is not a feature-rich video camera. And image quality only plays a small role in what makes a great video just like still photography except to the techno geeks substituting image quality to mean excellent picture/video to compensate for artistic skills.

But, of course, your milage may vary.
i keep trying to ignore the fact that you're calling it the D5 when it's really the 5D, and even that's not the proper name...it's a 5D Mark 2.
Also, after a recent firmware upgrade, there are Manual capabilities in video mode on the 5DII.
08-10-2009, 10:35 AM   #955
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Thanks for the link, much appreciated!

So, 29.99 for a filter fixing many artifacts in K-7 video, incl. the rolling shutter effect, wouldn't be too expensive, I guess. As it is $500 in the link above ...:
The Foundry - Add to Cart
Hmmm.. so, do you have a planned release date?
08-10-2009, 12:17 PM   #956
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ricardobeat Quote
Hmmm.. so, do you have a planned release date?
We're still running experiments. But if we do it, then it must be for this year, of course ... Also, we won't announce it beforehand. So, that's all I can say for now.
08-10-2009, 12:18 PM   #957

YouTube - 2009.08.07 Punta S.Matteo 3678 m s.l.m.
YouTube - PENTAX K-7????????
YouTube - Pentax K-7: Toronto August 2009 (Pakistani Cuisine)

i really like these three videos from the K7 in particular.
they show the great footage you can capture with it.
08-10-2009, 12:29 PM   #958
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I only played a bit so far with the video.
I have no Full HD (or even HD ready) TV so can't say about that but I was surprised at the quality on my Macbook 13.3": VERY good.

It is more than enough for me.
08-11-2009, 12:43 PM   #959
Veteran Member

i've stumbled on this video, which is a promo for Nikon D300s

and some questions came to my mind.. why in the world pentax claim all this weathersealing, while doing a freakin' promo of running dogs... it makes me mad, while some Nikon guy, did this..

can pentax do something similar? aren't there any pentax people with abilities?

this guy even submerged the whole camera underwater.. and the footage is really breathtaking..

suddenly pentax's moto be interesting becomes very boring..

what do you guys think?
08-11-2009, 02:00 PM   #960
Veteran Member

I was amazed when I saw the camera underwater shooting film ......