Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2009, 10:44 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
firmware updates?

Been reading about how canon updated firmware for the 5D mkII to have control over shutter and iso.
shouldn't this be possible as well with the K-7 then?
what is holding up Pentax from releasing these features?
and if they added 24P, heck 60P... now wouldn't 'that' get profit margins higher for them.

Last edited by pixel r0n1n; 09-10-2009 at 11:04 AM. Reason: bad grammar
09-10-2009, 11:19 AM   #2

I think falconeye pointed out that Pentax did a bit of a booboo when they made 'movie' another mode on the mode dial rather than having a 'movie button'. This way it's more difficult for them to integrate more manual control into movie mode. On the other hand, if it was a custom option like the fully manual lens option then I'd be very happy with a movie mode that operated as it currently does, then when you press the RAW button (it has no use anyway for me...and in video mode it has no use even for the two users worldwide who do use it!) it toggles into 'M', press the RAW button again and it toggles back. It's noted on the status screen.

Having said that, it took Canon a year or more from release to bring out the manual features in the 5DII, so I wouldn't be holding your breath. In fact, from Pentax, I'm almost certain you'll be waiting until the K-7 Super, or whatever they call the camera that is next out...
09-11-2009, 07:30 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
yes, i forgot about the timeframe of releasing the firmware.
hopefully see some firmware release in the future, if not an updated camera version.
09-11-2009, 11:27 AM   #4
Forum Member

I don't see why it would be so difficult, it's just an evolution of the k20d's burst mode, which was completely manual. I don't need 100% control over everything, but it would be nice to have at least some control like shutter speed and the ability to restrict the auto ISO range the way you do in still mode (mmm, well I guess that would give you pretty much manual control then). It would also be nice to be able to create custom presets in addition to the current vibrant natural etc. I'd like to have a set of presets ready to go for low-light, portrait, sharper, etc. It's already very easy to call up the standard presets up in video mode, it'd be nice if I could have my own in the menu too. And keep them separate from the stills mode! If I have a certain preset adjusted for movie mode I'd like to be able to return to movie mode with the previous settings intact. That should be easy to pull off. And maybe up that 99 shot limit on the intervalometer (and have all settings locked down, including focus, when you start it. I've ruined several time-lapse runs because I forgot to lock down something like exposure, white balance or focus)