Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2009, 12:30 PM   #1
Forum Member

K7 video in Premiere Pro CS4 for Mac

It doesn't work! I've tried everything, including what some say fixes the Nikon D90 incompatibility (renaming the movie from an AVI to a MOV). I'm shooting a TV commercial and would like not having to re-encode everything before putting it into Premiere (or buying FCP). Anybody else have better luck?

09-10-2009, 04:26 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
PM me.

I don't have a K-7, but if you send me a short clip of what you have, I'll try it on my system (Premiere Pro CS4 Windows). I bet we can make it work.

Gerry
09-10-2009, 06:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mister E Quote
It doesn't work! I've tried everything, including what some say fixes the Nikon D90 incompatibility (renaming the movie from an AVI to a MOV). I'm shooting a TV commercial and would like not having to re-encode everything before putting it into Premiere (or buying FCP). Anybody else have better luck?
The K-7 uses one of the most open file formats: Motion JPEG OpenDML Audio Video Interleave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Albeit AVI (Microsoft), it actually is an open source extension supported by almost everybody out there now.

It is certain that Adobe Premiere Elements 4.0 (current is 7.0) opens it without problems as does Quicktime on Windows (I tried it).

It may be that Adobe relies on Quicktime to import the files. Does your Quicktime support work properly?
09-10-2009, 06:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lazaruscomeout Quote
I don't have a K-7, but if you send me a short clip of what you have, I'll try it on my system (Premiere Pro CS4 Windows). I bet we can make it work.
Registered users on vimeo can download original content, like

(K-7 original AVI (9s), lower right corner of the vimeo page)

09-10-2009, 06:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mister E Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
The K-7 uses one of the most open file formats: Motion JPEG OpenDML...

... Does your Quicktime support work properly?
Good question... This leads me to this question for the OP:

Did you upgrade to Snow Leopard? If so, the Adobe app may not be looking for the totally new version of Quicktime X that ships with 10.6.

When you install Snow Leopard, Mac OS 10.6, you have the option to install Quicktime 7 in addition to the New Quicktime X.

So, in short if you're a Snow Leopard user and have not installed Quicktime 7 [ it should be available in the "Additional Installs" folder on your SL DVD] then you should, as I bet that's what the Adobe app is looking for.

Regards,
Mike

Last edited by X Man; 09-10-2009 at 07:03 PM.
09-14-2009, 04:05 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not having any problem with the AVI from K-7 in iMovie or Quicktime X (or 7). I purchased my K-7 the same weekend I got Snow Leopard so I can't say if there were any changes in this regard. I'm surprised that Adobe doesn't want to open it.
09-15-2009, 08:50 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
The strange thing is, even After Effects works fine.

I just like using Premiere to edit all the clips and get the timing and sound right, then doing the effects by dynamically linking with After Effects. This is messing up my entire workflow...

09-25-2009, 11:12 AM   #8
o!d

I had this problem to, it drove me nuts.

Download DivX doctor II from DivX Doctor II - AVI to MOV Convertor

Use program to convert avi's from pentax k7 to mov.
Use as normal in premier pro.

Very simple, free, no (noticeable) quality loss. Program is a total life saver.

PM if still struggling.

Ollie
01-06-2010, 12:23 PM   #9

Prem has no proper MJPEG codec

Hi

I have just fallen foul of this too but on a Windows 7 machine running CS4.

It looks like the MJPEG files that the X7 generates are less standard than Prem can cope with even though After-Effects can. Also VLC media player is not happy with them (saying they are broken) but can repair and play them.

In theory you could install a MJPEG codec (PICvideo , Morgan , Main Concept ) although I didn't manage to get a demo version of any of these to work - I didn't try very hard.

I took the pragmatic view and transcoded in After Effects. I found the best format, for me, was Quicktime MPEG4 set to best quality and keyframe every frame. This gave me a file with no visible artefacts, only double the size of the original that rendered FAST (about double real time on my machine) and that played beautifully in Prem.
I also decided to apply a little noise reduction and grading in AE even though that increased the rendering time from 2seconds per second to 2 minutes per second, I only have a few file to do so can leave them overnight to complete.

Hope this helps the OP or another stuck with the same problem.
If anyone else has a solution it would be good to let us know.

Good Luck
Mike
01-06-2010, 12:42 PM   #10

Just a quick update. The PicVideo Motion JPEG codec from Accusoft Accusoft Pegasus | PICVideo M-JPEG Codec Download does work in Prem CS4 (Windows 7) but the demo is un-usable.

This may be a cost effective solution for our OP.

Mike
03-13-2010, 07:20 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
I've since started transcoding in After Effects. It's lame to have to do that though.

Adobe's never gonna fix this in CS4. They're going to fix it but charge me $600 or more for the convenience when I have to upgrade to CS5.
03-13-2010, 10:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Works fine for me on Premiere Pro CS4 on Windows 7.
06-17-2010, 08:35 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Details

Hi all, just got a K7 and have run in to the exact same problem that MikeL was having (I believe we have a similar setup, Win7, Premiere CS4). VLC needs to repair the video, it plays fine in WMP or QT. Then when you try and import the video into Premiere the video just 'pauses' while the audio plays.

Krypticide, could you give us details about what your settings or presets are for Premiere?

I'll just add that Mister E's use of After Effects to transcode seems to be the best kludge solution- though it is a bit of a pain and I'm sure some pixel peepers will decry some sort of quality degradation.

Last edited by Mr. Ben; 06-17-2010 at 08:48 PM.
07-06-2010, 11:15 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Adobe has finally fixed it! All you have to do is spend hundreds of dollars for the CS5 update! It's that simple!
07-17-2010, 01:41 AM   #15
Inactive Account

The latest version of VLC for Mac doesn't need to repair it, however Quicktime for Mac won't play it!