Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2009, 02:34 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Aperture control during video shooting with K-x ?

Anyone knows if its possible? And with manual lenses?

09-20-2009, 01:30 PM   #2
Banned

It looks to have aperture control from the looks of this image from the Pentax K-X video on youtube.
09-24-2009, 02:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
It looks to have aperture control from the looks of this image from the Pentax K-X video on youtube.
Ok, hope it can be changed during "filming"

And still, what about using Aperture Ring on M and K lenses during filming?

Thanks,
Ilya.
09-24-2009, 05:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ilya80 Quote
Ok, hope it can be changed during "filming"

And still, what about using Aperture Ring on M and K lenses during filming?
With the K-7 (same firmware and having an "aperture level motor"), it is like this:

Aperture can be changed during recording with a lens' aperture ring (FA, A and M lenses). FA lenses and esp. powerzooms are perfect for video.

I tried a FA 28-105 powerzoom and it maintains focus when zooming (parfocal). So, you can zoom onto the subject in video w/o loosing focus

However, the K-x doesn't support powerzooms so this advantage goes to K-7

I believe that the K-7 is the only video SLR from any vendor supporting motorized zoom. Correct?

09-24-2009, 08:47 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe the Panasonic GH1 also supports zoom function and continous AF during filming.
09-24-2009, 09:19 AM   #6
Forum Member

Falk

Wow, I didn't even realize Pentax had ever made lenses with motorized zooms, you learn something new every day (even parfocal - where is Aristophanes?) Which functions of the power zoom work on the K-7?
09-24-2009, 04:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by richtrav Quote
Which functions of the power zoom work on the K-7?
I bought one in the bay, also because thinking that maybe their prices are going up now

The Pentax powerzooms support really sophisticated stuff with some film bodies, like zooming automatically to keep an approaching object constant in size (if I understand this correctly -- never tried). The sophisticated stuff is unsupported by the K-7.

But it does still support the zoom ring: turn a little and it zooms slowly, turn more and it zooms faster. The faster the louder and only the slowest setting may be tolerable in a video with audio recording.

04-30-2010, 09:41 AM   #8
Inactive Account

@falconeye
how can you be sure that the k-x doesn't support powerzoom in video mode? And when it is really impossible, is there a possibility that it will be enabled due a firmware update? Because i am thinking of buying a Powerzoom Lens for my K-x just for Videos, so i don't need to focus manually after beginning the video
05-02-2010, 10:54 AM   #9

If you have a lens with no physical aperture dial, you CANNOT change aperture on the K-X while in video mode. Provided the lens has a physical ring that you can turn, you can adjust..