Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2009, 03:34 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Anyway to see what the ISO of the video is once set with AE-L on the K-x?

Last edited by Aristophanes; 11-01-2009 at 07:40 PM.
11-02-2009, 11:39 PM   #47
Forum Member

If it operates like the K-7 you can pretty much predict what it's going to be by taking the camera out of video mode, put it in a still mode (keeping the aperture the same), then lower your shutter speed to the 1/30-1/40 sec range (possibly down to 1/25 for the K-x, I'm not sure). If you can get ISO 100 out of a given aperture and a 1/30-1/40 shutter speed then you can be pretty sure that's the ISO you're gonna get; the K-7 seems to pick a slower shutter speed over higher ISO every time, right down until you hit that 1/30-1/40 floor - only then will it bump up the ISO
11-03-2009, 03:00 AM   #48

We demand full manual control!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really don't know if the camera bumps the iso only after the shutter comes down to 1/30 (i'm pretty shure it is the slowest setting). I see very often the Iso going up in daylight...
The worst part: In Pal land, the electricity works at 50Hz, and the 1/30 or 1/60 shutter speed puts some very nasty flickering in the scene....
Pentax: WE DON'T NEED ISO AND SHUTTER, WE DEMAND!
I'm going to put things that way....I'm a Pentax user for a long time, but as i work in video production and Pentax products don't give tools to work... i don't have alternative to going off to canon...
Or stay with 35mm adapters with old manual lenses like before the VDSLR boom....
11-12-2009, 02:56 AM   #49

Manual Control would be so nice and avoid all this crazy flickr :

[vimeo]http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=7555058[/vimeo]

11-12-2009, 08:13 AM   #50

^nice video
11-12-2009, 02:56 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think the K7 video mode is definately is definately underrated and under regarded.

Given the price of the K7, the external microphone jack and the selection of lenses it to be should be a serious choice for any budding film maker.

Love the video btw too, what post processing did you use on it?
11-12-2009, 07:08 PM   #52

Thanks!

No postprocessing, at least none worth mentioning.
I only increased the contrast on some shots, thats all.

Well, i was working with an EV -2, that might explain the less visibile noise.

11-13-2009, 04:29 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I should note that I have sent an email to Pentax australia with a link to this thread asking for full manual video mode and asking if not then why. I also asked for the contacts of anyone else at Pentax who could help. I also asked for 24p as offered in the K-X and mentioned that Canon has already done this via firmware upgrade for the 5d mkII and 7D.

I suggest others follow my lead and email your respective pentax centres.

Pentax SUpport UK
Digital Support Contact Form - PENTAX U.K. Limited

Pentax Canada
Pentax Canada - Contact Us

Pentax USA
http://pentax.quicksupportlink.com/callform/pages/callform.asp?origin_us=true

I suggest put your money where your mouth is and follow my lead!

GET TO IT PEOPLE!
11-13-2009, 04:31 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Further list of contacts is here:

PENTAX
PENTAX
PENTAX
PENTAX
PENTAX
PENTAX

Also can we please get this thread made a sticky!
11-13-2009, 12:59 PM   #55

I emailed pentax and got a response back, so they are listening. Please email them if these features interest you. I've pasted the email received below.

Dear Mr. Irwin,

Thank you for contacting Pentax.

Also, thank you for your suggestions and information regarding the K-7 video capture functions. Product engineering and design decisions themselves come out of our parent company, Pentax Corporation, in Japan. Pentax Corporation directs how all Pentax products are developed, and any strategic alliances of a global nature are formed at that level.
I will be happy to forward your correspondence to our parent company and Pentax subsidiaries, in a report designed for concerns such as these. Pentax always appreciates hearing from the consumer public regarding the use of Pentax products, or regarding suggestions for new products or improvements in any area. We appreciate you taking your time to express your thoughts.
11-14-2009, 12:49 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Got got a response back from Malcolm Kennedy of CR Kennedy Australia. If my info is correct Malcolm is actually the director for CR Kennedy Australia.

Dear Christopher

I have forwarded your comments to Pentax Tokyo for their study.

Thank you .

Kind regards
----- Forwarded by Malcolm Kennedy/CRKENNEDY on 14/11/2009 05:02 PM -----
To: sales@crkennedy.com.au
Date: 13/11/2009 07:47 PM
Subject: Form submission from: Contact Pentax Australia
Sent by: noreply@crkennedy.com.au
11-14-2009, 08:12 PM   #57

Photos: Albums
Manual Video Control K7 - Me Too!

Just want to add my voice here. I've been a professional cinematographer for 16 years and a professional still photographer for 3 years. I've owned Pentax SLRs exclusively - the K7 being my 4th DSLR.

Yes 24p/25p would be nice, 1080 also nice. Even better image quality via improved sampling methods would also be "nice". I know all these things require serious work, though, so I'm not critical of their absence on the K7.

But manual control over gain ('ISO') & shutter? It should be considered criminal that these are absent on this otherwise fantastic camera! It's really a fundamental necessity for anyone wanting to do more than home movies. Leave the option for full auto, but please add the function of shutter adjustment (down to really slow speeds like 1/4" - trust me it'll be a very good thing for creatives) and ISO in 1/3 stop increments for video mode and I'll do back flips!

Are we being naive in thinking that this is a simple firmware adjustment?
11-15-2009, 12:00 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Awesome what have you worked on?

Well you should follow our lead, write a detailed email and send it off to Pentax.

The more we K7 users show interest the greater the chance of something actually happening.

QuoteOriginally posted by shamer Quote
Just want to add my voice here. I've been a professional cinematographer for 16 years and a professional still photographer for 3 years. I've owned Pentax SLRs exclusively - the K7 being my 4th DSLR.

Yes 24p/25p would be nice, 1080 also nice. Even better image quality via improved sampling methods would also be "nice". I know all these things require serious work, though, so I'm not critical of their absence on the K7.

But manual control over gain ('ISO') & shutter? It should be considered criminal that these are absent on this otherwise fantastic camera! It's really a fundamental necessity for anyone wanting to do more than home movies. Leave the option for full auto, but please add the function of shutter adjustment (down to really slow speeds like 1/4" - trust me it'll be a very good thing for creatives) and ISO in 1/3 stop increments for video mode and I'll do back flips!

Are we being naive in thinking that this is a simple firmware adjustment?
11-15-2009, 05:50 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Got a response from a Hoya contact in Tokyo, all I can say is the suggestion has been forwarded to their development area

Who else has sent an email?!
11-16-2009, 08:12 AM   #60

I sent an email. Today, adressing a Pentax worker and the support.
Looking forward to the response.
Closed Thread