Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2010, 07:16 AM   #106
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
IMHO I think Pentax will do the same thing Canon did and come out with manual controls on the next Pentax VDSLR like the Canon EOS 550D/Kiss X4 / Rebel T2i .
Probably yes, but don't forget that Canon did a firmware update on the 5D Mark II, which did not include manual controls for video. As I've written earlier I believe the K7 (and now the K7 silver) will stay the pro-level APS-C sensor DSLR this year for Pentax (because of the introduction of the 645D in about a month).

02-23-2010, 09:30 AM   #107
Banned

Canon did a firmware update for manual video exp.

Canon Enable Manual Exposure in Video on EOS 5D Mark II

LONDON, UK, 27th May 2009: Canon announced today it will release a firmware update for the EOS 5D Mark II allowing users to manually control exposure when shooting video. The new firmware will be available for download from 2 June 2009 on Canon Europe’s support web site.
Following the launch of the EOS 5D Mark II in September 2008, Canon’s Research and Development team has listened closely to customer feedback to develop additions to the camera’s movie recording functionality.

Allowing EOS 5D Mark II owners to achieve even more stunning video results with the camera, the firmware update will include the following manual controls when shooting video:

* Full aperture selection
* ISO speed: Auto, 100 – 6400 and H1
* Shutter speed: 1/30th – 1/4000th second

The EOS 5D Mark II integrates full HD movie capability into a high-end 21.1 Megapixel camera; opening a multitude of new possibilities for photojournalists and news photographers. Since its launch the camera has proved its appeal to professionals working in diverse fields, from studio and wedding to nature and travel. Now, following customer feedback, Canon has improved functionality for professional video users, further unleashing the potential of the EOS 5D Mark II for cinematographers and photographers alike.
02-26-2010, 11:43 AM   #108
Veteran Member

I posted on Pentax's Facebook page and got this response:

02-26-2010, 04:43 PM   #109
Forum Member

Wow Noah, that's a pretty straightforward answer from Pentax (or at least Pentax PR department). But still, absolutely cannot think of anything regarding manual settings that needs extra processing power. I've been in contact with Pentax, they have asked me about what I think about manual settings. Well, we keep waiting. Until M-times comes to Pentax, don't forget to shoot videos! Pentax makes amazing IQ in video mode IMHO, and nobody will care about a little noise under lowlight when watching your movies.

02-28-2010, 07:25 AM   #110
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Cool I love it!
03-01-2010, 11:35 AM   #111

Hmmm I surely disagree with the response from Pentax. It is as simple as a firmware upgrade and it doesn't require any more processing power.

The shutter speed during filming is a variable controlled by a lighting meter and can be locked with ae-l. So how hard can it be to control that variable with the front wheel? I think it's even possible while filming. And when the light meter is disabled (because of the manual mode) the processor uses less processing power.

So what are the costs for Pentax for this, hmmm at max 1 day of programming (by a single programmer), and some testing. So that's not that much. The reason that Pentax doesn't implement this, is just marketing. They might implement this on a future model, so then there's a reason for us to buy the next model

A small note; I am a programmer so I know what I am talking about
03-01-2010, 02:15 PM   #112
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blinx Quote
Hmmm I surely disagree with the response from Pentax. It is as simple as a firmware upgrade and it doesn't require any more processing power.

The shutter speed during filming is a variable controlled by a lighting meter and can be locked with ae-l. So how hard can it be to control that variable with the front wheel? I think it's even possible while filming. And when the light meter is disabled (because of the manual mode) the processor uses less processing power.

So what are the costs for Pentax for this, hmmm at max 1 day of programming (by a single programmer), and some testing. So that's not that much. The reason that Pentax doesn't implement this, is just marketing. They might implement this on a future model, so then there's a reason for us to buy the next model

A small note; I am a programmer so I know what I am talking about
As a fellow developer, I somewhat agree. Because we have know real knowledge of the inner workings of the firmware, and the underlying architecture it is hard to say that there is no real bottleneck. If you take a closer look at the 3:2 short of interesting resolution pentax uses as max, there should be no real hardware problem implementing a 1080p, but still, they didn't, which either means that is planned, or that is wasn't planned at all because the lack of power. I really don't believe that if it is possible to do by software, pentax won't do it. I think that they are focused on the 645D currently, but maybe they will reveal the Manual mode at the same time. We'll see. Anyways, if you think about it, the K-7 is still their state-of-the-art DSLR, and probably want to sell more. Also AFAIK the K-x was a huge success to Pentax, so I believe it will get M mode also.

03-01-2010, 07:13 PM   #113
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax won't? Doubt or not doubt for get new firmware 1.04 for Full Manual Control in Video?
03-01-2010, 10:09 PM   #114
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been requesting Manual Mode in Video in every single posting they do on Facebook. I'm waiting for them to block me haha.
03-02-2010, 04:34 AM   #115

Photos: Albums
Canon announces firmware update for EOS 5D Mark II: Digital Photography Review

Ok, now the 5D MkII has got FULL manual over video AND audio. Like an official canon MagicLantern firmware.

Then there's the 550D
03-02-2010, 06:30 AM   #116

http://www.cinema5d.com/download/file.php?id=2343
It´s nice to see a company understanding that video is important and adresses a whole new target-group, they even proudly advertise their improvements.
At this point I am likely to say Pentax is not going to make the manual control upgrade. And if they do, I bet it is going to be some silent update that someone stumbles upon...
03-02-2010, 07:22 AM   #117
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dom777 Quote
http://www.cinema5d.com/download/file.php?id=2343
It´s nice to see a company understanding that video is important and adresses a whole new target-group, they even proudly advertise their improvements.
At this point I am likely to say Pentax is not going to make the manual control upgrade. And if they do, I bet it is going to be some silent update that someone stumbles upon...
While it makes me very sad, I do agree with you. I have no clue, why Pentax is not showing the same attitude Canon does? While Canon hinted in every forum about their new firmwares (like the M mode, and the 24p firmware) Pentax is keeping quiet, and maybe they will release some silent update ...
03-03-2010, 02:08 AM   #118
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dande Quote
While it makes me very sad, I do agree with you. I have no clue, why Pentax is not showing the same attitude Canon does? While Canon hinted in every forum about their new firmwares (like the M mode, and the 24p firmware) Pentax is keeping quiet, and maybe they will release some silent update ...
No need to give up yet, just remember how long it took Canon to react. Pentax seems to be busy with new products right now, which is the right thing to do for a company. But I trust they will consider to add requested features in K7 and K-x in the future, but this takes some engineering power and has to be justified from a business point of view.

To say it would be a one day job is very short sighted, especially from a programmer I would expect some more insight. It needs addition to the UI, it needs to be properly tested, so give them some time and keep your expectations reasonable.

Stefan
03-03-2010, 06:13 AM   #119

Photos: Albums
Canon updated the 5D MkII Firmware AGAIN.

24fps
25fps
29.93fps

AND manual audio controls are now possible, with level indicators.

I dunno, maybe because Canon makes their own hardware? Maybe there's much more red-tape with Pentax (and Nikon)
03-03-2010, 07:24 AM   #120
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RolloR Quote
Canon updated the 5D MkII Firmware AGAIN.

24fps
25fps
29.93fps

AND manual audio controls are now possible, with level indicators.

I dunno, maybe because Canon makes their own hardware? Maybe there's much more red-tape with Pentax (and Nikon)
Canon certainly has an advantage here as they develop and produce video cameras as well, just as Panasonic and Sony. Pentax and Nikon do not have this advantage, so it is somehow natural that their technology in this respect is a bit behind most competitors but Sony.

Stefan
Closed Thread