Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2009, 12:50 AM   #1

strobing under flouro lights

Hi all,

got my K7 last week and have not yet managed to have a good play with it as yet.

I was mucking around with it at work while doing a bit of show and tell with my workmates and did a quick 10 sec long pan across my desk with the video.

While recording I noticed a strobing type wave effect across the flat white surface of my desktop while watching through the viewscreen.

Playing the avi file back through my computer also showed that effect so it was something that the camera had recorded and not a side effect of trying to view it via a 3inch wide screen.

Not knowing all that much about video I am assuming this effect was from the fluro tube office lighting we have at my work.

Has anyone else noticed this? Are their ways to avoid it?

cheers

09-27-2009, 06:39 AM   #2
o!d

Hi,

Yup fluro lights are the problem.

To avoid the flickering you need to shoot at a framerate that is divisible by the Hertz of your electricity supply, i.e. 25fps in eu and austrailia, 30fps in america.

Without full manual control I'm not sure theres anything you can do about it really.

O
09-27-2009, 04:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by o!d Quote
To avoid the flickering you need to shoot at a framerate that is divisible by the Hertz of your electricity supply, i.e. 25fps in eu and austrailia, 30fps in america.

Without full manual control I'm not sure theres anything you can do about it really.
Not exactly true.

With a shutter speed of 1/30s, the flickering due to 50Hz (or 70Hz LCD flicker) is already rather tolerable (and invisible with 60Hz). Of course, a shutter speed of 1/25s or 1/50s would be perfect for 50Hz but this cannot be enforced. btw, framerate is irrelevant, shutter speed is. Everything which 25fps at 50Hz gives you are stationary dark bands

In order to enforce 1/30s shutter speed, switch to manual aperture control and try using smaller apertures (higher f-stops) until the flicker is gone. If necessary, combine with +EV exposure compensation. It is not true that only full manual control allows you to control something ...