Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2009, 12:44 AM   #1
Forum Member

Req opinion: video editing computer

Hi all, would like to get an opinion of the resident video gurus about a purchase decision.

I'm getting close to buying a new workstation computer and want it to be a good video editing rig. Traditionally I've only considered my image (RAW) processing and editing needs, the ability to batch process hundreds of files in a reasonable amount of time, but now I want to buy something that would let me comfortably handle light to relatively heavy video editing and processing as well.

My choices boil down to one of the following two:

1. A quad core Mac Pro with a 24" Dell, HP or Samsung display.
2. A 15" Macbook Pro with a 24" display like above.

Whatever I end up with will have the maximum RAM of 8GB and I will also probably go with a good SSD for the main drive and cheaper traditional drives for bulk storage.

Now I know that the desktop Mac Pro will be a better choice as a video editing rig running Final Cut Pro... but I wonder, in the long run (my main computers go 3-5 years before I upgrade), how much will I be losing out on if I went with the laptop instead, for portability reasons?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

10-12-2009, 09:10 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Alot of videographers consider portability as an utmost concern, but I say be old school.

The Mac Pro has the ability to be upgraded to 32gb of ddr3 ram and could handle an 8 core down the road if needed! However, I run Final Cut Pro on a 13" Unibody Macbook w/ 2ghz processor and 2gig of ram. Rendering is painful compared to using machines at school/work, but it's really not that terrible.

Still, I'd get the desktop...
10-12-2009, 03:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I hear that adding an array of 200 Samsung flash drives serves wonders

ok, not that helpful ... but what advice do you expect, the mac pro is faster, the mac book more portable. Nothing you didn't know. So really, what shall we say?
10-13-2009, 02:43 PM   #4
Banned

QuoteQuote:
The Open7 represents the future of Open Computing by introducing Intel's Nehalem processors. With up to 40% more processing speed and up to 12 GB of memory the Open7 is capable of handling even the most demanding multimedia and gaming workloads. Featuring Leopard OS X the Open7 has enough configuration options to custom tailor this computer to meet your needs.
Open(7) with Mac OS X

QuoteQuote:
Open(7) with Mac OS X

Operating System
Mac OS X Snow Leopard v10.6 + iLife + iWork
Processor
2.93GHz Quad-Core Xeon Nehalem
Memory
12GB DDR3 1333
Hard Drive
1TB 7,200RPM SATA2 w/32MB CACHE
Additional Hard Drive #1
Additional Hard Drive #2
Additional Hard Drive #3
Optical Drive
20x DVD±RW DL
Graphics Card
GeForce 9600GT 1GB
Firewire
3 Port Firewire 800 + 400
Warranty
Three Year Parts and Support**

$2,696.99
add $225 for 300GB 10,000 rpm boot drive instead of 1TB 7200rpm boot drive
Mac Pro from Apple Store:

Last edited by jogiba; 10-13-2009 at 04:26 PM.
10-13-2009, 06:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I cut everything on my Mac Book Pro. I can edit sitting on the couch, in my office, or in a hotel room. My dual G5 desktop died about 6 months ago and I never bothered to get it fixed. I have stacks of both portable and desktop drives and work that way.

Just depends on how you like to work. While I would like to have extra horsepower sometimes, I can cut most anything except 1080p uncompressed footage.
10-13-2009, 07:54 PM   #6
osv
Veteran Member

the term "A quad core Mac Pro" is essentially meaningless, because there are many quad core cpus on the market today... is it an i7, i5, q9400, etc?

even though mjpeg shouldn't be much of an editing challenge, i wouldn't buy anything less than an i7.

laptop vs. desktop is a whole 'nother issue, but you won't find many i7 mac laptops, so i guess that answers that question.
10-14-2009, 05:30 AM   #7
Banned

2.93GHz Quad-Core Xeon Nehalem is the Core i7 version for workstations and servers with the same LGA1366 socket.
http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/datasheet/321321.pdf
The best laptop CPU today for video is the Intel® Core™2 Extreme Quad QX9300 2.53GHz .
http://download.intel.com/design/processor/datashts/320390.pdf

Last edited by jogiba; 10-14-2009 at 05:53 AM.
10-14-2009, 12:44 PM   #8
AM2
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I hear that adding an array of 200 Samsung flash drives serves wonders

ok, not that helpful ... but what advice do you expect, the mac pro is faster, the mac book more portable. Nothing you didn't know. So really, what shall we say?
Heh, I suppose I should get on that then! 200 SAMSUNG FLASH DRIVES! Sounds like a movie by Frank Zappa...

Anyway, I guess the advice I was interested in is whether the Macbook Pro will be impossibly limiting for video editing... apparently not; from responses here and reading I did on google, it's main drawback is less speed and less future expansion - something I already knew.
10-14-2009, 12:59 PM   #9
AM2
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChainbreakR Quote
Alot of videographers consider portability as an utmost concern, but I say be old school.

The Mac Pro has the ability to be upgraded to 32gb of ddr3 ram and could handle an 8 core down the road if needed! However, I run Final Cut Pro on a 13" Unibody Macbook w/ 2ghz processor and 2gig of ram. Rendering is painful compared to using machines at school/work, but it's really not that terrible.

Still, I'd get the desktop...
Agreed, it's so very hard to let go of the flexibility my laptop gives me, want to work elsewhere? Pack up and go! No such thing with a desktop.
10-14-2009, 01:05 PM   #10
AM2
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
2.93GHz Quad-Core Xeon Nehalem is the Core i7 version for workstations and servers with the same LGA1366 socket.
http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/datasheet/321321.pdf
The best laptop CPU today for video is the Intel® Core™2 Extreme Quad QX9300 2.53GHz .
http://download.intel.com/design/processor/datashts/320390.pdf
Yes... I've been pondering the hackintosh route myself, for $2000 I can build myself a monster of a machine. My only concern is that one day Apple will up and introduce a measure that makes OSX impossible to install on non-Apple hardware, after which I'll be left with a very fast machine that runs only Windows and Linux anymore; none of which run Final Cut Pro.
10-14-2009, 01:07 PM   #11
AM2
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
I cut everything on my Mac Book Pro. I can edit sitting on the couch, in my office, or in a hotel room. My dual G5 desktop died about 6 months ago and I never bothered to get it fixed. I have stacks of both portable and desktop drives and work that way.

Just depends on how you like to work. While I would like to have extra horsepower sometimes, I can cut most anything except 1080p uncompressed footage.
Yep, I know exactly what you're talking about. The current workhorse, my three year old Macbook Pro has me spoiled.

About 1080p uncompressed footage... what do you find is preventing you from doing so? HDD speed? Or is it lack of RAM?
10-14-2009, 02:12 PM   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by AM2 Quote
Yes... I've been pondering the hackintosh route myself, for $2000 I can build myself a monster of a machine. My only concern is that one day Apple will up and introduce a measure that makes OSX impossible to install on non-Apple hardware, after which I'll be left with a very fast machine that runs only Windows and Linux anymore; none of which run Final Cut Pro.
BYO with an EFIX chip:
http://www.expresshd.com/p136/EFiX-USB-V1.1/product_info.html

http://www.expresshd.com/pages.php?CDpath=8
10-14-2009, 02:44 PM   #13
AM2
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Wow, very interesting indeed. Thanks for the link!
10-14-2009, 07:24 PM   #14
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AM2 Quote
Heh, I suppose I should get on that then! 200 SAMSUNG FLASH DRIVES! Sounds like a movie by Frank Zappa...

Anyway, I guess the advice I was interested in is whether the Macbook Pro will be impossibly limiting for video editing... apparently not; from responses here and reading I did on google, it's main drawback is less speed and less future expansion - something I already knew.
a lack of horsepower can kill the editing speed... the thing to remember about fcp is that it re-encodes the most challenging codecs, like avchd, which eats up a lot of hard drive space, but makes it easier to edit.

unfortunately fcp can not edit native avchd, you have no choice about the re-encoding... that re-encoding process is called using an intermediate codec, and if you use the right intermediate codec, the quality can be outstanding.

the reason that you care about avchd is because the odds are that you'll be editing it some time in the future, so plan for it now... an overclocked hackintosh is a very smart solution.
10-15-2009, 11:28 PM   #15
AM2
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
an overclocked hackintosh is a very smart solution.
I agree, becoming a believer as I research more on the subject.